AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > JBL Audio

JBL Audio Legendary Performance

Old 08-29-2015, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshyne View Post
The 4365's must be huge! They made the 4429's look tiny. What computer program is that that you used on post #4?
It is HiQnet Audio Architect.
Old 08-29-2015, 03:41 PM

Cool

Quote:
Thank you for passing on the info Dave. They do run out of gas at higher volumes and I have decided to trade/sell the mc275 and acquire a used mc452 or similar. Truth is that I never really loved the mc275. I preferred the mc60 mono blocks but both are limiting when pairing with speakers.
In the mean time I may try the Crown that Mctwins suggested in the post above.
You're welcome. The MC452 is bulletproof. It's one Hell of an amp. As far as the Crown, I'm not a big fan of pro audio for the most part, but that very well might sound pretty good. I can't say for sure as I haven't heard it.

My choices for high powered amps besides the McIntosh? Pass Labs X350.8 or X350.5, Bryston14BSST2, ATI 6002, and the new D'Agostino Classic Stereo.

The best deal out of those is the ATI at $4k USD. The others go for ($10k Bryston, Pass Labs X350.5-$11,500, Pass Labs X350.8-$14k, and the D'Agostino-$12k, McIntosh-I think $8k) Keep in mind that these are retail prices, and if you can get at least 20-30 percent off, figure out the math.

The best sound is whatever your taste is. All of them sound great from what I hear and my own auditions, imo.

On paper, I would probably get the D'Agostino as it can drive a 2 Ohm load, I dunno about the others. Maybe the ATI can too as the ATI has the best specs if you look. I have not yet heard either one. Pass Labs, I'm very familiar with. They're very good, a little pricey, but can compare to amps double the price. Same thing with Bryston as I own Bryston (the older 4BSST) The 14BSST2 is good, but I don't think it can drive below 4 Ohms.

Of course, "do what thou wilt," as a wise man once said.

Last edited by Dave_72; 08-29-2015 at 03:47 PM.
Old 08-29-2015, 09:03 PM

Dave thank you for the suggestions and prices to go with them. It's always about the bottom line isn't it? The MC452 would probably be my first choice due to having a C2200 pre. I would be looking for a used one AND use my mc275 towards that purchase as well. That being the case, the window of opportunity narrows and it's great to have other options. That ATI looks like a beast. They show a picture of the seven channel version and it has two power switches and two power cables on the back. I have never seen anything like that before. I did order the Crown earlier today, and for $500 with ability to return it if I don't like it, it was hard to not try. I am curious to see how it sounds with the 4429 and c2200. If I don't like it, it would only cost me $10 for the experience.

Last edited by Sunshyne; 08-29-2015 at 09:10 PM.
Old 08-30-2015, 12:35 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Dave thank you for the suggestions and prices to go with them. It's always about the bottom line isn't it? The MC452 would probably be my first choice due to having a C2200 pre. I would be looking for a used one AND use my mc275 towards that purchase as well. That being the case, the window of opportunity narrows and it's great to have other options. That ATI looks like a beast. They show a picture of the seven channel version and it has two power switches and two power cables on the back. I have never seen anything like that before. I did order the Crown earlier today, and for $500 with ability to return it if I don't like it, it was hard to not try. I am curious to see how it sounds with the 4429 and c2200. If I don't like it, it would only cost me $10 for the experience.
You're welcome. Yes, it is, haha. Well, if there were the perfect amp, all of us would have at least one. Sounds good, again the MC452 is a great amp, and from what I hear, better than the MC402 which is replaced. Yeah, the ATI is something to be reckoned with, and it's received some amazing reviews. No sweat off of my back regarding the Crown. You might end up really liking it! Happy listening!

PS: I just wanted to say the Bryston is rated the most powerful out of all of the amps I mentioned; 600 wpc into 8 Ohms, and 900 Wpc into 4 Ohms. Also the retail price is a bit less than what I typed, it's actually: $9,550.00

Last edited by Dave_72; 08-30-2015 at 12:45 AM.
Old 08-30-2015, 07:07 AM

Hallo!

The 4429 has a minimum impedance at 4 ohms, so there is no reason to have a amplifier that goes below 4 ohms. The impedance charateristics that the amplifier sees is dependant of the loudspeakers minimum and nominal impedance.

When I check the impedance load on my DCi amp it has never been below 4 ohms at any volume level or at near clipping point.

Last edited by Mctwins; 08-30-2015 at 07:32 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-30-2015, 07:17 AM

Quote:
I think you are doing right here. As you said, you can always return the amp if you don't like it.

Just pay attention too how the music sounds thru your speakers without thinking of what brand of amplifier is being used.
Old 08-30-2015, 07:46 AM

Hallo!

Here I am playing a pink noise at 70% on the volume on my C48 thru my McIntosh MCD201 and this is the result on Audio Architecht. Look at Continuous.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg JBL 4429.jpg (99.1 KB, 22 views)
Old 08-30-2015, 01:02 PM

I hope so... thank you Dave!
Old 08-30-2015, 01:10 PM

Mctwins, I should have the amp on Tuesday. I'm excited to see what it has to offer. Being made by Harmon, I hope that it will have synergy with the JBL's.
The speakers are rated 6ohms, should I use the 4 ohm tap on the amp?
It's a little hard to read the numbers, but does the A.A. screen say that both sides are slightly above 6 ohms?
I looked up the program on Harmon's site to see if it may help in regards to supplying information useful to room set up at my house and did not see the XLS on the list of devices. They do have a version compatible with Mac too. I am still not sure of that or even where to buy it or for how much $ at that. Looks like fun though.
Old 08-30-2015, 01:40 PM

Hi

If you are talking about crown xls then it is made by crown and not harmon. Yes it is on the same sphere but that is just about it.

No need to connect anything to 4 ohm tap on the crown. Because there isnt any taps to talk about.

If refering to McIntosh then, yes, it is on the 4 ohm tap.

I am running with an XLS1500 on my JBL 4312E and very pleased with the sound. I have also tested with mono MC275 on these speakers and it is also recommended. One is little bit to soft but can do in certain applications, like very small room and nearfield listening.

Intresting to see your first impressions