AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Wilson Audio

Wilson Audio Authentic Excellence

Old 02-24-2015, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingsrule View Post
That was me commenting on the Alexia and VX5 combo. The Alexia is a difficult speaker to drive and the VX5, while very capable is much more suited to the Sasha. Be for-warned that the VX5 runs very warm, almost hot. So consider that for placement. Also for best sonics should be left on all the time.
Also, I had a D Premier with Sasha's as well as W/P 8's. Not very good IMO. The Ayre VX5 is far more musical. The Devialet stuff is very good technically and perfect for a home theater type setup. But I also have no experience with the new Devialet models. Maybe they are different. As I've said to jax4736 many times, you really can get the measure of the VX5 on Alexia until you try something more appropriate.....he's in for a big surprise with the MXR's!
You are correct, the VX-5 does run hot! I leave mine on 24/7. I thought I read somewhere that it would run cooler once upgraded with the VX-5 Twenty.

Do you think with the size of my room I should be ok with Ayre 5 series and Sasha 2's? Or regardless of room size, I would notice significant sonic improvements moving to the R series? Trying not to overspend if I can get close with Ayre 5 Series and Sasha 2's. However, it will/would be difficult to let go of my Futura's.

Aurender N10 / Ayre QX-5 Twenty / Ayre KX-R Twenty / Ayre MX-R Twenty / Wilson Sasha DAW / Isotek TITAN and EVO3 / Transparent Reference / Meze Empyrean
Old 02-24-2015, 02:03 PM

Glenn

What is you room size?
Old 02-24-2015, 04:13 PM

14.5 x 12 x 9 closed room

Aurender N10 / Ayre QX-5 Twenty / Ayre KX-R Twenty / Ayre MX-R Twenty / Wilson Sasha DAW / Isotek TITAN and EVO3 / Transparent Reference / Meze Empyrean
Old 02-25-2015, 01:09 AM

Quote:
That was me commenting on the Alexia and VX5 combo. The Alexia is a difficult speaker to drive and the VX5, while very capable is much more suited to the Sasha. Be for-warned that the VX5 runs very warm, almost hot. So consider that for placement. Also for best sonics should be left on all the time. Also, I had a D Premier with Sasha's as well as W/P 8's. Not very good IMO. The Ayre VX5 is far more musical. The Devialet stuff is very good technically and perfect for a home theater type setup. But I also have no experience with the new Devialet models. Maybe they are different. As I've said to jax4736 many times, you really can't get the measure of the VX5 on Alexia until you try something more appropriate.....he's in for a big surprise with the MXR's!
Looking forward to the experience to be sure. My KXR20 will be here this Friday. MXR 20's probably still about two weeks out. I installed a third Shunyata SR.-Z1 outlet just for the second MXR, tonight....so I'm ready and eager to hear them.
System: Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon/DPC-6v2, Defender, Anaconda /Sigma power cords and interconnects, Linn LP12, Ayre P-5xe, dCS Vivaldi full stack, Ayre KX-R Twenty, Ayre MX-R Twenty, Wilson Alexia Series 2 Speakers
Old 02-25-2015, 10:35 AM

Glenn
I think you'll have no issues with your room and Sasha's and 5 series

The difference between R and 5 is the clarity and the information that R gives. However, no one knows how much closer the updated 5 series will get to the R products......
Old 02-25-2015, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Glenn
I think you'll have no issues with your room and Sasha's and 5 series

The difference between R and 5 is the clarity and the information that R gives. However, no one knows how much closer the updated 5 series will get to the R products......
And that's the magic question. How much improvement for ~$40k more spend?

Old 02-26-2015, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaboudreaux View Post
And that's the magic question. How much improvement for ~$40k more spend?
In terms of the preamp, it's smoother and the highs are better. The soundstage is improved and instruments have a sound like the real thing - harp and guitar are particularly stunning. I had only a weekend with a loaner KXR20 in my actual listening room. It was painful taking it out and waiting for my new one to arrive.

Hard to quantify if the dollar amount is worth it to any potential buyer.In my case it was worth it, as it put me closer to the music than anything I've heard before. I listen to a lot of studio recorded music (I'm really into orchestral film scores) so it's like going back in a time machine when I hear some older recordings from the 1960s and 1950s especially. In my own case, it was worth it for this reason.

I am kind of curious about the "Twenty" updates to their "5" series; I decided to go all the way to the "R" series "Twenty" versions.
System: Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon/DPC-6v2, Defender, Anaconda /Sigma power cords and interconnects, Linn LP12, Ayre P-5xe, dCS Vivaldi full stack, Ayre KX-R Twenty, Ayre MX-R Twenty, Wilson Alexia Series 2 Speakers
Old 08-21-2015, 09:25 PM

What would be the minimum space recommended between the Sasha's and the rear wall. Would a 15cm/0.5 foot work?
Wilson Audio Alexia + Mezzo | Dan D'Agostino Momentum PRE & S250 | Esoteric P02x & D02x | Torus AVR2-16 | Marantz AV8805 | Panasonic UB9000 | Bryston 7B3 & 9BSST2 | ScreenTechnics 125" 2.37 Screen | JVC X7900 | Krix A20 (4) | JL Audio F113 (2)
Old 08-21-2015, 09:30 PM

That is very room dependent. Moving them 1/2" makes a difference. Mine are 22" from back of speaker to wall. My room is large 20x34.

They do better than most speakers close to the wall.
Old 08-21-2015, 09:50 PM
On Florida's Slow Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiohippo View Post
What would be the minimum space recommended between the Sasha's and the rear wall. Would a 15cm/0.5 foot work?
Work? Yes, but your sound stage will probably lack maximum depth. Mine, in a 19x13x8 room liked to be out about 23 inches to that near wall behind. You might pose this question to the Wilson folks.

Bob
Wilson Yvette speakers, Conrad-Johnson ART88 pre, TEA1bc phono, and ART27A Amplifier, Marantz digital player, Rega Planar 10 turntable / Apheta 3 cartridge,Wireworld Gold and Platinum Eclipse IC and speaker, I AQ Hurricane, Tornado power cables, Shunyata Denali 2 conditioner, dCS Bartok DAC/Streamer