AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > AudioAficionado News > Member System Forum

Member System Forum System Pictures and Descriptions

Old 01-21-2021, 07:23 AM

Default A funny thing happened on the way to the Forum

As I was scouring the internet for components/cables for my two channel system in the living room, I came across some things that were great bargains, but not suitable for the reference system I was building. I had an empty corner in my home theater room so I built a near-field studio system.

It is an IMac connected to a Peachtree integrated amp via USB. Speakers are Sonus Faber Auditor Elipsa, sub is a Pinnacle corner loaded active. Cabling is mostly budget mined Audioquest.

I bought unfinished plant stands from Amazon and enclosed the bottom for the speakers. Filled them with around 20 pounds of sand and sealed the bottom airtight. These sit on carrera marble floor tiles. Rock solid so to speak.

I used a large cutting board of VT hard rock maple as a stand for the sub. There is a 1” reveal under the footprint of the sub. I scorched a blade on a chop saw cutting it to size, the wood is like stone. I used two layers of automotive sound deadening material on the bottom of the stand for mass loading, and spikes at all 5 points of the pentagon, and one in the middle for good measure. Sitting in the corner, it is aimed directly at center mass of the listening position - I can pin my ass to the chair when the mood hits.

If I stumble on an integrated with a DAC and room correction, the Peachtree might move to the GF’s house to go along with the other stuff I’ve put there...gotta have good tunes no matter where I go...
Old 01-21-2021, 07:47 AM

Very nice...thx for sharing...enjoy in good health
Old 01-21-2021, 12:57 PM

Looks great! The Sonus Faber speakers really stand out - beautiful.
Main - Roon on Synology/Sonos Port/SoTM Neo endpoints; Chord Qutest, Bryston BP-17 cubed with phono option; EAT C-sharp with Ortofon Bronze MM, Bryston cubed Amplifier; Revel F126Be on custom Atocha stands; interconnects by WireWorld, furniture by Atocha Design 'Phones Audeze LCD-3, Bryston BHA-1; Office: Sonos/Roon; OPPO HA-1, Naim NAP100 and PSB Mini-C. Media Room:, Samsung QLED QN90 series, Sonos, OPPO 205, ATI N-core driving KEF LS-50's with REL subs; furniture by Glassisimo; Kids - U-turn for vinyl, Sonos Play5; Summer Shack - Sonos, vintage Pioneer, Dynaudio Special 40's.
Old 01-21-2021, 01:13 PM

Nice studio system. I am familiar with the Auditor Elipsas as I was using them in my 2ch/Theater room some time ago as side and rears in a 7.1 setup. They are actually great little speakers. I even tried them on pedestals for fun and they impressed me.

I also have used the Peachtree a few times and bought one for my son's system some years back. So a total of three different experiences with the Peachtree...

I would suggest one thing, look for another integrated, the mini Elipsas are capable of impressing more than the Peachtree can do for them.
Old 01-22-2021, 07:10 AM

Yep, if I could ever stop spending money on the main rig, the studio system would get some attention...there is a Lyngdorf TDAI 270 on the radar right now to replace the Peachtree. The Peachtree would move to the GF’s system, so I’d put some check marks on the plus side of the BF ledger. A double whammy!
Old 04-03-2021, 06:32 AM

I continually compare my studio system with the main rig, and while the Auditor Ellipsas came close to the Sasha Daws in the near-field setting, the low end was pretty weak. I tweeked the settings on the Pinnacle sub to try and round out the low end, but things got boomy in a hurry.

So, I got a pair of SVS Pro 200 subs, and solved that problem. One of the nice things about the SVS subs is the IOS app that can be used to adjust many settings...I can sit in the listening chair and make adjustments real time vs leaning over the subs to fiddle with the controls, upside down, then sitting back in the sweet spot to judge if any other adjustments are necessary, then pushing the subs back into their position against the walls.

Next up is an integrated with streamer built in from Atoll to replace the Peachtree so I can access all the cool new tunes I’ve discovered with the Vivaldi stack in the main rig. That should be here soon, and then I’ll declare victory, probably.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 2EDA50E7-D4AF-49F5-9A79-7626C8B35B06.jpeg (2.49 MB, 49 views)
File Type: jpeg C61DE1DF-DA3C-4760-96D5-AC64D2913745.jpeg (2.77 MB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg image.jpg (87.1 KB, 47 views)
Old 04-03-2021, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native Vermonter View Post
I continually compare my studio system with the main rig, and while the Auditor Ellipsas came close to the Sasha Daws in the near-field setting, the low end was pretty weak. I tweeked the settings on the Pinnacle sub to try and round out the low end, but things got boomy in a hurry.

So, I got a pair of SVS Pro 200 subs, and solved that problem. One of the nice things about the SVS subs is the IOS app that can be used to adjust many settings...I can sit in the listening chair and make adjustments real time vs leaning over the subs to fiddle with the controls, upside down, then sitting back in the sweet spot to judge if any other adjustments are necessary, then pushing the subs back into their position against the walls.

Next up is an integrated with streamer built in from Atoll to replace the Peachtree so I can access all the cool new tunes I’ve discovered with the Vivaldi stack in the main rig. That should be here soon, and then I’ll declare victory, probably.
Very cool and well thought out. Well integrated subs add a lot.

Best

Charles
Old 04-03-2021, 07:55 PM

Looks like a nice place to hang out.
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2
Old 04-03-2021, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Very cool and well thought out. Well integrated subs add a lot.

Best

Charles
Yep, I have dual subs in the 2 channel rig, the studio, and the home theater, and a single one in my bedroom. Seven total - I might have passed the bass limit in VA...
Old 04-03-2021, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonmb View Post
Looks like a nice place to hang out.
This system gets more playtime now, which was the point...with ITunes visualizer running on the IMac it is cosmic.