AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Magnepan

Magnepan Full-range ribbon and planar speakers

Old 10-14-2014, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timm View Post
Hi Carlos. I am in Ann Arbor michigan. There is a Maggie dealer fairly close - but of course no 20.7. I need to go harass him about the 'I' version. I am planning my man cave as I have an unfinished basement that I could make 16-18 ft wide and 25-30 ft long.
You probably already know that Harry in Royal Oak has the 3.7i's on display.

~Mike
Old 10-14-2014, 03:10 PM

As they say, the world can be a small place. I live in the Chicagoland area and have done business with Audio Consultants for many years. I've owned Magnepans for about 15 or 16 years now. The last couple years I've had the 20.7's. AC didn't have them to audition when they first came out so I made a trip to Magnepan and did the company tour with Wendell Diller and heard them there. My only comparison to other speakers would come from what I've heard at the Axpona shows and a few at the dealer. To me, the difference is the "big" sound. The openness. The soundstage is huge. This is what a panel speaker gives you. When my wife and I would walk into a room at a show you could tell before you even got all the way in what type of speaker was playing. Magnepan, Kingsound, Martin Logan, Sound Labs, Sanders etc. All have that open and airy sound. Box speakers sound like boxes. After an audition when asked what we thought my wife would say, "Sounds like the music is in a box." I had to start telling her to be careful of what she says. I didn't want to make enemies. Are there fabulous sounding box style speakers? Of course. But, to my ears, getting to that fabulous sounding box speaker means a trip up the golden road. Magnepans are always compared to speakers costing double and triple their price. The 1.7 and 3.7 have been critically acclaimed as incomparable at their price point.
My wife and I attended a seminar by REL subwoofers at AC awhile back. There were two G1's paired to the $70,000 or so Wilson Maxxes. The electronics were in the $70 to $80,000 range. I'm not even gonna mention the ridiculous cable costs. Was the sound amazing? Yes it was. Was it better then my 20.7's and my two REL G2's? In some ways yes and some no. As loud and as powerful as it was it still didn't give that Phil Spector "wall of sound" sound. My wife said it sounded like a box.

So what can you compare the 20.7 to in it's price range? Nothing. It has a sound all it's own. Now, to your ear, can you "like" a different speaker in this price range more? Absolutely. You could like a speaker that costs less. The new 3.7i is amazing at $6000. You won't know till you listen.
Old 10-14-2014, 03:16 PM

For my ears, Avalon & Nola (ref. line) have good timbre. Then again, they're quite pricey. : )

My music preference ranges from classical (both chamber & orchestral) to some jazz and pop/rock.

I came from 1.6 to 3.6, then ordered the 20.7 without having seen nor audition a pair.
Old 10-14-2014, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnut View Post
So what can you compare the 20.7 to in it's price range? Nothing. It has a sound all it's own. Now, to your ear, can you "like" a different speaker in this price range more? Absolutely. You could like a speaker that costs less. The new 3.7i is amazing at $6000. You won't know till you listen.
+1
Well said.
Old 10-14-2014, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnut View Post
As they say, the world can be a small place. I live in the Chicagoland area and have done business with Audio Consultants for many years. I've owned Magnepans for about 15 or 16 years now. The last couple years I've had the 20.7's. AC didn't have them to audition when they first came out so I made a trip to Magnepan and did the company tour with Wendell Diller and heard them there. My only comparison to other speakers would come from what I've heard at the Axpona shows and a few at the dealer. To me, the difference is the "big" sound. The openness. The soundstage is huge. This is what a panel speaker gives you. When my wife and I would walk into a room at a show you could tell before you even got all the way in what type of speaker was playing. Magnepan, Kingsound, Martin Logan, Sound Labs, Sanders etc. All have that open and airy sound. Box speakers sound like boxes. After an audition when asked what we thought my wife would say, "Sounds like the music is in a box." I had to start telling her to be careful of what she says. I didn't want to make enemies. Are there fabulous sounding box style speakers? Of course. But, to my ears, getting to that fabulous sounding box speaker means a trip up the golden road. Magnepans are always compared to speakers costing double and triple their price. The 1.7 and 3.7 have been critically acclaimed as incomparable at their price point.
My wife and I attended a seminar by REL subwoofers at AC awhile back. There were two G1's paired to the $70,000 or so Wilson Maxxes. The electronics were in the $70 to $80,000 range. I'm not even gonna mention the ridiculous cable costs. Was the sound amazing? Yes it was. Was it better then my 20.7's and my two REL G2's? In some ways yes and some no. As loud and as powerful as it was it still didn't give that Phil Spector "wall of sound" sound. My wife said it sounded like a box.

I've been in that room with the Boulder electronics, dCS stack and the Transparent cabling.

Audio Consultants should move the 20.7s into that room and put them by the Wilsons.

Last edited by cma29; 10-14-2014 at 10:07 PM.
Old 10-14-2014, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cma29 View Post
...shipped to Missouri to save the sales tax.
Where do you live in Missouri?
Old 10-14-2014, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by russell View Post
Where do you live in Missouri?
Columbia, MO. Are you in Missouri also?
Old 10-14-2014, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgard View Post
You probably already know that Harry in Royal Oak has the 3.7i's on display.

~Mike
Hi mike. Didn't know he had the improved version. I have listened to the 3.7 there and the 20's years ago.

Where do you live? I want to hear the 20.7 when you get them!!
Tim.
Old 10-14-2014, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timm View Post
Hi mike. Didn't know he had the improved version. I have listened to the 3.7 there and the 20's years ago.

Where do you live? I want to hear the 20.7 when you get them!!
Tim.
Tim,
I live a little north of Jackson. When I bought my first Maggie's, the 1.7's Harry still had the 20.1's. He also had a real nice pair of Quad 2905's. I am going to give Magnepan a call tomorrow to see what their back log is for upgrading to the 3.7i. Adding the Mye stands and the Stillpoint Ultra SS stabilizers should really do it up right. if you haven't learned by now Audio Aficionado is not a good place to hang out if you want to save your money.

~Mike
Old 10-14-2014, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgard View Post
Tim,
I live a little north of Jackson. When I bought my first Maggie's, the 1.7's Harry still had the 20.1's. He also had a real nice pair of Quad 2905's. I am going to give Magnepan a call tomorrow to see what their back log is for upgrading to the 3.7i. Adding the Mye stands and the Stillpoint Ultra SS stabilizers should really do it up right. if you haven't learned by now Audio Aficionado is not a good place to hang out if you want to save your money.

~Mike
What??? I thought this was a job site? I'm looking for a 14500 dollar raise!!