Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Classe' Audio

Classe' Audio Uncompromising Audio

Old 01-15-2013, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDP View Post
Thanks Joe,

I heard something very interesting about you today

Old 01-15-2013, 07:10 PM

This is just the thread I need since I am very seriously thinking of doing an amp upgrade to these.

What I am interested in knowing is how much mechanical noise do these amps make? I listen to a lot of classical, and it gets very quiet in some passages. My current amps have a noise that I refer to as an AC power transformer vibration that is audible late at night when it is quiet. I would like to eliminate that if I get new amps.

Also, can you hear the fan that keeps the amps at a constant temperature if there is no music playing?

I am very picky about outside noise when listening to music. I even moved my refrigerator into the garage to cut down on noise.

Thanks for your answers.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueFox View Post
This is just the thread I need since I am very seriously thinking of doing an amp upgrade to these.

What I am interested in knowing is how much mechanical noise do these amps make? I listen to a lot of classical, and it gets very quiet in some passages. My current amps have a noise that I refer to as an AC power transformer vibration that is audible late at night when it is quiet. I would like to eliminate that if I get new amps.

Also, can you hear the fan that keeps the amps at a constant temperature if there is no music playing?

I am very picky about outside noise when listening to music. I even moved my refrigerator into the garage to cut down on noise.

Thanks for your answers.
I hear no amplifier noise whatsoever. I can't give you an answer on the fan noise,mine are in an enclosed wall unit. Other reviews have said the can't hear them at all when music is playing.
I think you need to demo a pair to see if it bothers you.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:42 PM

Nice feedback MDP, thanks for posting.

BlueFox, what kind of amp do you have and how old? Have you tried a different circuit? Noise can be induced into the AC line from surrounding components and other devices that are sharing the same circuit causing the mechanical hum you speak of. Plasma displays and florescent bulbs are notorious for this as are some appliances.

The power factor correction Classe' has introduced into the CP-800 and the new CA-D200 combat these issues internally. The only other way would be to use some sort of humbuster device that would isolate your amp and/or system from the noise.

Like you I find transformer hum, active cooling devices and mechanical transport noises very offensive.

Last edited by RebelMan; 01-15-2013 at 09:52 PM.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:42 PM

Excellent review, MDP! I enjoyed reading it.

I have an interest in these M600 monoblocks also. How would you describe how these amps treat dynamics as compared with the previous amps you have had in your system?
Old 01-16-2013, 09:49 AM
Life is beautiful

Quote:
I have had these amps in my system for about 2 months now. I thought it was time to share some thoughts and observations.

The Classe' CA M600s are rated 600w @ 8ohms,1200w@4ohms. Their frequency response is 1Hz-100kHz. Input impedance is a friendly 50k ohms,both balanced and single ended. Signal to Noise ratio is an amazing -120db.
Classe' has done a few interesting things with the 600s. One of the neat things is the way they cool the amps. They have a tunnel that runs from front to back. The circuit boards are located on both sides of the tunnel. Air is drawn into the tunnel from a vent in the front , and is then exited out the back by a small fan. The fan speed is controlled by sensors that determine the ideal temp for the circuits. On the back of the amps are 2 pairs of 5 way binding posts,allowing true bi-wireing,if thats something you want to try. Both balanced and single ended inputs are provided. The 600s also have a sophisticated protection system to keep the amps safe from all the usual culprits.

Listening to the Classe's for the first time was an education in what happens when you rid your system of unwanted background noise. I found that I was playing them way too loud. They actually started to hurt my ears. I thought to myself,this is not good !! I got out my Radio Shack SPL meter and found that I was listening at way over 100db. After turning down the volume,it seemed that the music was not nearly as loud as normal. What I figured out was I was used to hearing all that hash,distortion, or however you want to describe it.

The Classe's really have a clarity to them that's hard to believe. I'm sure that the very impressive Signal to Noise ratio has a lot to do with what I'm hearing. Jet black backgrounds. A blank canvas for the music to soar ! Overall tonal balance would have to be described as neutral. I have listened to hundreds of recordings,trying to figure out if they lean to the warm,or to the cool side. What I've found is if the recording is a little on the warm side,that's what I hear. If it's on the cool side, then it comes out just that way. They're very transparent to both the source,and source components,but one of the things i really love about them is,they don't make my lesser quality recordings unlistenable.

Soundstage is very good,instruments and voices in their proper places. Depth is also very good,not as 3D as some,but still very good.
One of the best things the Classe's do is instrumental and vocal textures. Absolutely as good as I have ever heard. The textures of both are as lifelike as any pair of amps I've ever heard. A real sense of space surrounds both instruments and voices. Also, a great sense of acoustical space.

Overall,I'm thrilled with my purchase. The Classe's have power to spare,driving my Salon 2's without breaking a sweat. An overall beautiful sound that will keep me happy for a long time !!
Mark, great review!
Thank you for sharing your experiences.
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 01-16-2013, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haydn View Post
Excellent review, MDP! I enjoyed reading it.

I have an interest in these M600 monoblocks also. How would you describe how these amps treat dynamics as compared with the previous amps you have had in your system?
Dynamics are amazing,aided by the jet black background and the speed of these amps. From the softest brush of a cymbal to the sudden attack of a loud power chord,it can be startling !!

Mark
Old 01-16-2013, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart View Post
Mark, great review!
Thank you for sharing your experiences.
Thanks Bart, you have a great system. I've always wanted to hear Vivid speakers !!

Mark
Old 01-16-2013, 03:43 PM
Life is beautiful

Quote:
Thanks Bart, you have a great system. I've always wanted to hear Vivid speakers !!

Mark
Thank you Mark.
You're most welcome to visit and listen.
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 01-16-2013, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmalak View Post
Mark...I believe also jacob Heilbrun from TAS reviewed these very positively and I believe he kept the amps as well. Congrats and enjoy them in good health
Cyril, I believe you're right. Jacob Heilbrunn's equipment is listed as;

dCS Scarlatti digital system
Continuum Caliburn TT
Class' CA-M600 monoblocks
Ypsilon SET-100 Ultimate amps
Ypsilon PST-100 Mk. 3 preamp
Wilson XLF speakers

Pretty impressive list !!