AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Turntables & Vinyl > Turntables & Tonearms

Turntables & Tonearms Where Analog still Rules

Old 05-02-2010, 05:03 PM

So I've been racking up some playing time on my SME 20. Let me tell you guys, this table has changed and evolved quite a bit over since I first set it up. Can't say for sure if it is the suspension settling in, the tonearm itself or the tonearm cable burning in or a combination of many things together but the sound keeps evolving from what was dynamically impressive and very tightly focused but what I ultimately discovered was just a bit mechanical and sterile sound on many LPs for my taste over time. Not harsh by any means but just a bit etched and bleached type of sound which I don't care for long term. A bit too much emphasis on the transients, like a tightly coiled spring ready to unwind at a blink of an eye. Sibilance and intentional guitar distortion was more noticeable and even a bit irritating depending on the LP. I often found myself playing with the cartridge loading, tweaking the VTA and VTF from day to day trying to nail down that elusive proper balance of weight, dynamics, tonal richness and resolution and upper end sparkle. I was close, erring on both sides of the equation but couldn't quite hit the bulls eye.

It was a bit puzzling since the SME is a suspended table, does not have a metal or acrylic platter and is really not known for aggressive, hyper detailed sonic signature... I have not heard my XX2 Dynavector cartridge to behave badly either with my previous table. In any case, I felt I was getting closer with some of the settings of suspension, playing around with the tightness of the record clamp, etc.. but intuitively felt I wasn't quite there just yet...

Over the past week and especially after a marathon listening session on Saturday and better part of the day today, I am finally hearing exactly was I was after. Jet black background, richness and smoothness that makes you go aaaaah and relax as the music sweeps you away and draws you in deeper and deeper until you close your eyes and you get goose bumps and a sense of euphoria. Dreamy, creamy, romantic sound that is not forced but instead flows out of the speakers at proper pace and rhythm, liquid in its presentation, silky smooth on the ears, yet has the dynamic punch when called upon and enough resolution where you hear every little detail and feel the ambiance of the recording as the billowing soundstage envelops you all around but it all sounds natural and unforced. A truly analog experience. I can finally say that I have extracted the performance and reached an equilibrium that I was hoping for when I spent the $$$ on this table. Awesome table.

For me the ultimate test is to whip out the worst sounding LPs, the ones you previously would want to turn the volume down on and if by some miracle you want to turn the volume up, you've hit the nail on the head. As I played some of my rock albums like Metallica, Pearl Jam, Led Zeppelin and a few others and actually really enjoyed the experience instead of being indifferent about it, I think I am finally there. Next up will be trying out a few different tonearm cables and ultimately mounting the Ortofon A90 cartridge to see what it can do on this table.
Old 05-02-2010, 05:11 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Serge.......This is good news. As I was reading, I began to get a sense that this turntable might go on the used market. Glad to know the resolution issues have been resolved, at least for now. My guess is the table will continue to settle in, and you may need to continue to tweak it back into submission, but that is part of the pleasure of high-end audio. Have fun.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 05-02-2010, 05:20 PM

"Dreamy, creamy, romantic sound that is not forced but instead flows out of the speakers at proper pace and rhythm, liquid in its presentation, silky smooth on the ears, yet has the dynamic punch when called upon and enough resolution where you hear every little detail and feel the ambiance of the recording as the billowing soundstage envelops you all around but it all sounds natural and unforced. A truly analog experience."

Man can you write
Old 05-02-2010, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1KW View Post
"Dreamy, creamy, romantic sound that is not forced but instead flows out of the speakers at proper pace and rhythm, liquid in its presentation, silky smooth on the ears, yet has the dynamic punch when called upon and enough resolution where you hear every little detail and feel the ambiance of the recording as the billowing soundstage envelops you all around but it all sounds natural and unforced. A truly analog experience."

Man can you write
Believe me, it is the holy grail of sound that everyone is after, whether they realize it or not. It is the sound of natural and live music. I've never heard an instrument played in real life that sounds abrasive unless played that way intentional or by someone who has no clue how to play it. Believe me, I went through quite a few different instruments with my kids experimenting with music over the years. One thing that stands out, even if played off key, wrong notes, it never sounds unnaturally harsh/abrasive yet they tend to sound just that when played back over many different systems. I've been looking to achieve what I have today for the past 25 years. Is there even more room for improvement? Probably, although I would be happy with what I have today for a very long time as well.

Analog playback has gotten me much closer than digital ever did. I'd say the Ayre CDP with the MP filters was the only CDP I've heard to date that would be something I could put up with long term when it comes to digital. The good news is that I am sure more and more will be implementing that type of filter in the near future and digital playback combined with high resolution files will finally be much closer to good analog sound.
Old 05-02-2010, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
Serge.......This is good news. As I was reading, I began to get a sense that this turntable might go on the used market. Glad to know the resolution issues have been resolved, at least for now. My guess is the table will continue to settle in, and you may need to continue to tweak it back into submission, but that is part of the pleasure of high-end audio. Have fun.
I've never had the urge to put it up for sale Dan. Nope, it was sounding pretty damn good out of the box but I was hoping for a slightly more relaxed presentation. I have a very specific taste when it comes to system synergy and my expectations are pretty high. I am very happy it has evolved/settled down a bit as now it is really bringing me a lot of listening pleasure.
Old 05-03-2010, 12:35 AM

Serge,

This is great news and a BEAUTIFUL description of what you are hearing.

What gear/speakers are you getting this perfect sound with??? The loaners???
Old 05-03-2010, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by two dot View Post
Serge,

This is great news and a BEAUTIFUL description of what you are hearing.

What gear/speakers are you getting this perfect sound with??? The loaners???
Yes, I am tweaking everything around the SF Cremona M's which I am currently using. I can't say I was very impressed with them from the get go but I also think they didn't really have that much playing time on them. I suspect part of what I heard may have been the sonic change in the speakers as well. I just don't know at this point since I have 2 variables right now. What ever the case may be, it all sounds really good now.
Old 05-03-2010, 10:02 AM

Serge,

Your description is so beautifully written it is hard to believe english is not your native language... I'm impressed