AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Bryston Audio

Bryston Audio Unlimited, Unprecedented, Unequalled

Old 05-02-2012, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post
Hello Mr. Tanner,

Speaking of preamps...

While my main goal is still an upgrade to my equipment rack, I've begun considering a new preamp as well. I haven't decided for sure to get one yet (and may not anyway, depending upon what happens with the rack), but interest is such that I've begun to explore options. Two of those options are the BP-16 and BP-26 preamps.

As I understand it the BP-26 is Bryston's top of the line; the BP-16 is second from the top. It isn't urgent, but when you get a chance I'd appreciate your take on each and any reviews you could direct me to. My system is 2-channel, and the amps are McIntosh MC501 monoblocks. Thanks.
If you need / want a fully balanced / XLR preamplifier the BP26 is the choice to make vs. the BP16. The BP16 offers you more control of the preamp remotely - input switching, balance control etc. but no XLR out.

The BP16 and BP6 are more comparable in function, though the BP16 allows for more inputs and as mentioned more remote control of functions.

All Bryston preamps are very close in performance and presentation, with the exception being the new SP3, which could be considered the latest evolution of Bryston preamplifer technology/engineering.
Old 05-03-2012, 05:27 PM
Semi-audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundGame View Post
If you need / want a fully balanced / XLR preamplifier the BP26 is the choice to make vs. the BP16. The BP16 offers you more control of the preamp remotely - input switching, balance control etc. but no XLR out.

The BP16 and BP6 are more comparable in function, though the BP16 allows for more inputs and as mentioned more remote control of functions.

All Bryston preamps are very close in performance and presentation, with the exception being the new SP3, which could be considered the latest evolution of Bryston preamplifer technology/engineering.
Hello SoundGame,

Yes, I like that the BP-16 has more inputs and is a 1-box unit, but the BP-26 is probably a better performer. My other consideration, if I get a new preamp, is what to do about vinyl; that is, do I get a built-in phono section or not. I have an Aragon 47k phono preamp with an upgraded power supply, could use it either way, but one less box is appealing also (even though the Aragon stacks perfectly with my current preamp). I wouldn't use the XLRs so that's not an factor, at least; things are complicated enough as is. Perhaps I will look at these two Brystons a bit more as I go forward.