AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 03-25-2014, 12:08 AM

Mark Manner; A few weeks ago I stated that I heard zero difference in an A/B between
a MCD500 & an OPPO95 and also between the OPPO and the C50DAC. I see an MEN220
in your sig. Was that in place during your A/B? When I read a statement by JDANDY
explaining that the bypass button on the MEN220 only removes the Room Perfect filters
from the audio signal but still takes said signal through A/D> D/A conversion, I asked if that could explain the sameness of sound in my comparo considering that the MEN220 DAC would be the last DAC my amp & speakers would 'see'. Jdandy thought that it could be that the MEN220 conversion after the RP filters were applied could have
"colored" the outcome of my auditions. Hope this helps.
This may be simplistic and I have no knowledge about it, but it would seem to me that if one has a chain of DACs, then the one that you are ultimately hearing would be the last one in the chain. I haven't tried a comparison w/out the MEN220 yet.

I 'm not sure if this requires a new post, but does anyone have any notion of what the"MEN" in MEN220 stands for? I assume it is an acronym.

Thanks, John

PS JDANDY: I don't think I thanked you - THANK YOU

__"The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter" apparently not Winston Churchill
_

Last edited by JMAC; 03-25-2014 at 05:37 AM.
Old 03-25-2014, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMAC View Post
......the bypass button on the MEN220 only removes the Room Perfect filters
from the audio signal but still takes said signal through A/D> D/A conversion, I asked if that could explain the sameness of sound in my comparo considering that the MEN220 DAC would be the last DAC my amp & speakers would 'see'. Jdandy thought that it could be that the MEN220 conversion after the RP filters were applied could have
"colored" the outcome of my auditions. Hope this helps.
I use the MEN220 via the processor loop in the C50, not in-line between the pre and amp. I understand that by doing this, when I use the 'bypass processor' button on the C50, the MEN220 is completely out of the system. As a result, it shouldn't be coloring the Dac results. However, on this point, even if the a/d/a of the MEN220 has a signature, I would find it very unlikely that it would make 2 different sounding DACs sound the same. I could believe it would make them sound different than they might without the MEN220 in the system, but it would be an amazing coincidence that the MEN220 colored both dacs just the right way to make them sound identical. As a result, I would think that even having it in the system wouldn't necessarily make the test invalid, at least if you are just trying to see if there is a difference.
Old 03-25-2014, 07:34 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Manner View Post
I use the MEN220 via the processor loop in the C50, not in-line between the pre and amp. I understand that by doing this, when I use the 'bypass processor' button on the C50, the MEN220 is completely out of the system. As a result, it shouldn't be coloring the Dac results. However, on this point, even if the a/d/a of the MEN220 has a signature, I would find it very unlikely that it would make 2 different sounding DACs sound the same. I could believe it would make them sound different than they might without the MEN220 in the system, but it would be an amazing coincidence that the MEN220 colored both dacs just the right way to make them sound identical. As a result, I would think that even having it in the system wouldn't necessarily make the test invalid, at least if you are just trying to see if there is a difference.
I forgot about looping the MEN220; I'll have to set mine up that way.

You are probably right. As I said, I have no knowledge about it. I used the WAG method. :-)

__"The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter" apparently not Winston Churchill
_
Old 03-25-2014, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMAC View Post
I 'm not sure if this requires a new post, but does anyone have any notion of what the"MEN" in MEN220 stands for? I assume it is an acronym.
Hi, good question, I guess something like McIntosh Equalization 'N-something'??
Old 03-26-2014, 10:53 PM

Hey, As good a guess as any! When I think about it, I can't even guess what 220 stands for. Actually I had guessed. I remembered Ron C commenting on the number of test tones and thought he might have said 110. Then, knowing how McIntosh names other equipment and that it is involves 2 channels, maybe that explains 220. But I looked up a screen capture of his remarks and it was "121 specific test tones." And 12 bands per octave. One of these days I'll call McIntosh about my XRT1K grills resonating occasionally. I read somewhere that McIntosh will send new grill posts and I can ask about the MEN220 at that time...if I remember.

_
Old 03-30-2014, 05:41 PM

Mark, I see you have the Auralic Vega in your signature. Does that mean it has a permanent home at your place . If you have had time to evaluate it, how does it sound compare to the Benchmark and the built in DAC of the C50?
Old 03-30-2014, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblue View Post
Mark, I see you have the Auralic Vega in your signature. Does that mean it has a permanent home at your place . If you have had time to evaluate it, how does it sound compare to the Benchmark and the built in DAC of the C50?
I think I will keep the Vega. I liked the Benchmark DAC2, but the Vega has a few more options that are interesting (different filters, clock settings, 2xDSD). As for how it sounds, I am still comparing it to the C50. The Benchmark was so very close to it that I had trouble telling when switching blinded. On the Vega, I do think that it sounds a bit less edgy or harsh than the C50 (using those words makes it sound like the C50 sounds not good, and that isn't correct--if there is a real difference it is subtle, and more pronounced in my Sennheiser headphones than in the room I think). I want another week and some friends over to listen before I say for sure (since I have changed my mind in the past about how things sounded when commenting too early).
I will post again later on it.
Old 02-14-2021, 11:21 AM

I have a question that I'm sure someone here can answer. I just bought a C50 and I also have a Mytek Brooklyn Dac+. I see no reason to keep the Mytek if it isn't an improvement over the DAC in the C50. How " exactly" to I attach the external DAC to the C50 so I'm using the Mytek DAC and not the one in the C50? I stream my audio so where would I attach my streamer in this scenario?, to the Mytek or the C50?
Thanks in advance.
Old 02-14-2021, 01:36 PM

Streamer into Brooklyn DAC + then balanced XLR form DAC+ into C50.
Proac Response 1sc Rears,
Three MC2301's for L,C,R
MC 602 for the rears
C 1100, MX 151, MCD 1100, MR 80
Nottingham Dais with Wave Mechanic
Sumiko Palo Santos Presentation

SurfacePro 3, RPi 4, ROON, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

Lake House:
Ohm F, MC 275V, C2300, MR 77, Rega P3

OnDeck:
McIntosh MAC 4300v
Old 02-15-2021, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W9TR View Post
Streamer into Brooklyn DAC + then balanced XLR form DAC+ into C50.
Thanks for the info. I figured that was how I needed to hook them up but I get no audio. I've gone from the DAC+ XLR output to the XLR input of the C50 and no output. I then went from the rca output of the DAC+ to the rca input of the C50 and still no output. Is it not possible to use an external DAC with the C50?
I thought it was as simple as outputting the DAC into one of the inputs of the C50 and simply going to that input. I'm temporarily going directly to the MC452 amp and getting output to my NHT 3.3's and sounds great so if I can't have the option or using an external DAC with the C50 why should I keep it?
I guess I will have to call Mcintosh and get the final answer. If anyone is using an external DAC with the C50 could you please confirm that this can be done?