AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Sonus Faber

Sonus Faber Italy's Best

Old 01-03-2012, 06:39 AM

Default Guarneri

Hi Folks,

I have heard the Memento version in a showroom and I personally bought the Evolution but have not heard the original Homage. I have to say no showroom audition can come close to playing the speakers at home and only when playing with the same pair of speakers over sometime can one truly appreciates its strengths and even weaknesses...

This thread is for all the Guarneri owners to share their experience, placement tips, electronic matching, and system setup, music preferences on their Guarneri, and as well as possible future upgrade plans - SF or not doesn't really matter as long as you like what you hear

Btw, I also notice many SF owners doesn't really come online or visit any forum so all expressed opinions remain personal preferences but do hope more will contribute!
Old 01-03-2012, 10:47 AM
AA Founder, Legend AV Owner

Congrad's on your new acquisition, my son has a pair of Evo's and loves them.
MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A300 AMPS, C3900 PRE-AMP, DP1000 CD/SACD TRANSPORT, DC1000 DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-68 DIGITAL EQUALIZER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS1230 POWER SUPPLY, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WW PLATINUM CABLES
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K-01X 30th ANNIVERSARY (BLACK) SACD/CD PLAYER, G02-X CLOCK, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) KALEIDESCAPE STRATO & TERRA SERVERS 80-TB, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, FORTRESS SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, HRS-MXR REFERENCE RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, ACCUPHASE DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, GRANDIOSO P1X/D1X STACK, G1X RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS, JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(2) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) WW PLATINUM CABLES

Library System: GRANDIOSO M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1X CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E02 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2, AERIAL SW12 SUBS(2), CANTON REF K1’s, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2, SHUNYATA OMEGA QR’s, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Esoteric/Bryston System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, P-02X TRANSPORT, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B3 CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS(4), BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2(2) EVEREST 8000 POWER CONDITIONER(2) ALTAIRA CG & SG HUBS, AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, QUADRASPIRE RACK, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Accuphase/Canton System: ACCUPHASE E800 INTEGRATED, DP570 CD/SACD PLAYER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, PS530 POWER SUPPLY, CANTON REF K3’s, CANTON REF K5’s, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS MXR REFERENCE MAHOGHANY RACK w/ M3X2 SHELVES, WW GOLD CABLES
Old 01-03-2012, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larevoj
Hi Folks,

Btw, I also notice many SF owners doesn't really come online or visit any forum so all expressed opinions remain personal preferences but do hope more will contribute!
I would also be interested to read more contributions from SF owners. I have listened to the Homage range & are a huge fan, especially the Stradivari. I have loved my Dali Grands over the years & they have never sounded better with the MC2301s. I will probably never let the set go but one of these days room permitting, I would seriously consider taking a huge leap forward with Sonus Faber.

There will soon be Aida owners here, so please speak up your experiences with unboxing, setting up & tuning these beautiful ladies.

Last edited by MyPal; 01-03-2012 at 11:30 AM.
Old 01-03-2012, 11:43 AM
World's Oldest Audiophile

I've had a pair of Guarneri Mementos for a little over two years and absolutely love them.

I have them set-up in a less than perfect configuration, have to sit off-center when I listen, drive them with not quite "matching" electronics - (McIntosh MA-7000, - a good integrated amp, but many separate amps/preamps would probably be a better match for the Mementos.) yet, every time I listen I feel that I could close my eyes and believe that the musicians are in the room with me.

Even sitting off center, the speakers project a full, wide, and deep soundstage. Imaging is extremely good, tonal balance is excellent.

I've tried dozens of "monitor" type speakers and the Mementos definitely come out on top in every parameter that matters to me.

I recently borrowed a pair of Wilson Duettes, expecting them to provide an even better sound in my situation, because of their ability to sound good in less than favorable placement circumstances, but in my room, they came in a far distant second to the Mementos.

I heartily recommend the Mementos to anyone looking for a top quality monitor speaker, and at the current used selling price (in the $8,000 range) they are a world class bargain, when compared to the $22,000 Evolutions and to virtually all of the other top level, very expensive, monitors.

I have a record player and a cd player and some other stuff that sounds pretty good.

MAIN SYSTEM: . . . Audio Physic Caldera III Loudspeakers, Spectral DMC 30SL Preamp, Spectral DMA 250 Amp, Spectral/MIT interconnects and speaker cable, Basis Debut V Vacuum turntable, Walker Precision Speed Controller, Graham tonearm, [B]Koetsu Rosewood or Grado Statement 1 Cartridges, PASS - X-ono Phono Stage, Esoteric K03 CD/SACD Player, Lexicon RT-20 Universal Player, Exact Power EP-15A & SP-15A power regeneration and conditioning devices. Symposium Acoustics Svelte pads & RollerBlock Jr's under speakers. ASC Tube Traps, Arcici Suspense Rack System, OPPO and Cambridge Streaming Devices.

DOWNSTAIRS SYSTEM: . . . Sonus Faber Guarneri Memento Speakers, JL Audio F112 Sub, McIntosh MA7000 Integrated Amp, McIntosh MVP871 Universal Disc Player, OPPO BDP-105 Blu-Ray Player, VPI Scoutmaster with periphery ring clamp, VPI SDS Motor Drive, Koetsu Pro IV, or Clearaudio Discovery Cartridges, Mark Levinson No. 25s phono stage, Wadia 170i Transport with a Meridian Bitstream 203 DAC, VPI HW-17 Pro Record Cleaning Machine, Five Richard Gray RGPC 400 devices scattered around the two systems, Arcici Suspense Rack System, Discovery Essence and Essential Cables, 14,000 ± LPs .
Old 01-03-2012, 01:10 PM

Your boy is lucky!!

The Evolution is really a pleasure to listen and I am finding myself spinning more Classical and Jazz pieces then I used to. Its dynamic, fast, and scale to fortissimo when necessary - still it is no match versus the Futura. However, in a small room and given the size of only a stand mount monitor it carries a significant amount of weight and control in the lower frequency band - its impressive.

I love the mids very much as well and when I compared to speakers I have played in my room like the Dynaudio Focus 110, Cremona Auditor M, and Penaudio Cenya the Evolution has a slightly warmer and natural tone in vocals. Female voices can be very intimate and real in some Jazz tracks...this brings me to the Homage where I have read in this forum it can put you in a romantic mood I wonder if anyone here still owns a pair of Homage - it must be one of many sought after collector piece now.

I also read that the Memento sounds bigger, goes lower, and has more refine highs when compared to the Homage. It seems to me as Guarneri evolves it sound more balance through both extreme ends of its frequency band and stretches its comfort zone as well. Don't get me wrong...GH, GM, and GE are all great speakers in my opinion and I feel it boils down to your taste.

Here are some amazing pictures I found online of the Homage and I think some these pictures maybe owners in this very forum

Last edited by larevoj; 01-03-2012 at 09:08 PM.
Old 01-03-2012, 02:06 PM
Lower Provo River, UT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyPal View Post

There will soon be Aida owners here, so please speak up your experiences with unboxing, setting up & tuning these beautiful ladies.

A gentleman never kisses and tells.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:16 PM

Does anyone know for sure who manufactures the drivers (both tweeter and woofer) of GH, GM, and GE? In GH some suggest the tweeter is an Esotar from Dynaudio but there are others beg to differ. I think the GM and GE tweeters are from Scanspeak albeit one is a ring radiator and the other is a soft dome. Does all of them uses Mundorf cross over components?
Old 01-04-2012, 04:56 AM

Hi there larevoj

The GH tweeter is indeed a variation of dynaudio esotar.

"The tweeter, also custom-built, is a version of Dynaudio's Esotar unit and features a 28mm surface-damped soft dome made of silk. The unit is fitted with a special, large, rear chamber carved from solid walnut. The two drive-units are vertically aligned on the contoured, low-diffraction front baffle, the tweeter on the top."

SONUS FABER Guaneri Homage

The carved rear chamber is particularly interesting. It goes to show the extent of effort put into the making of this legendary speaker.

Last edited by Luv4nature; 01-04-2012 at 05:45 AM.
Old 01-04-2012, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larevoj View Post
Does anyone know for sure who manufactures the drivers (both tweeter and woofer) of GH, GM, and GE? In GH some suggest the tweeter is an Esotar from Dynaudio but there are others beg to differ. I think the GM and GE tweeters are from Scanspeak albeit one is a ring radiator and the other is a soft dome. Does all of them uses Mundorf cross over components?
I do love the Guarneri Evo's. At some points they sound to me even better than my Futura's.

The tweeter from the GH is from Dynaudio. I'm not sure about the woofer.
The tweeter from the GM is from Scanspeak. The woofer (customized) is from Audiotechnology. C-Quenze 15 H 52 06 13 SD
The tweeter and woofer from the GE are from Scanspeak.
GE uses Mundorf, í don't know about the earlyer Guarneri's.
Old 01-04-2012, 05:09 AM

The tweeter of the GH is a variant of the Dynaudio Esotar. The GM's tweeter is the scan speak revelator ring radiator. Both speakers use the Audio Technology mid-bass driver, one of the best IMO. The GE I believe uses scan speak drivers for both the tweeter and mid bass. Curiously, the flagship The Sonus Faber and the just released Aida still maintain the audio technology midrange driver.