AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 03-13-2017, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderkid23 View Post
Hello...

I have C2600 and Sony Hap... This evening, I connected HDD to C2600 via USB cable and the result was the same as yours.

So I connected my pc to C2600 via a such cheap USB cable that I got from a external cd drive and played the same files with Sony HDD. The sound improvement is day and night difference. C2600's DAC is way better than Sony...obviously. I hear more and tight bass and overall volume is bigger and bright.

And then I connected CDP to C2600 via a coaxial cable, before it was by XLR. This connection also improved the sound a bit, but not by big margin like a previous experiment.

Now I don't know what to do with $2,000 DAC + digital storage ��.

Tomorrow I am gonna get a decent USB cable and try again...
Thank you for the Summary! So basically the audio sounds better through the c2600 DAC vs the Sony? I have a MacBook Pro Retina. All my Hi-Rez music and red book CDs I have on an external drive that I transferred over to the HAP.

Is it just as simple as plugging in the MacBook to the C2600? I think I need an audio software tho as I don't think iTunes can playback the DSD or 192/24 stuff.

If you have any suggestions I would be GRATEFUL. Oh...I did indeed trade my c47 for the c2600 today. Will begin the setup this week.
Old 03-13-2017, 09:21 AM
Racing Hoopties

Default C2600....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timobi View Post
Thank you for the Summary! So basically the audio sounds better through the c2600 DAC vs the Sony? I have a MacBook Pro Retina. All my Hi-Rez music and red book CDs I have on an external drive that I transferred over to the HAP.

Is it just as simple as plugging in the MacBook to the C2600? I think I need an audio software tho as I don't think iTunes can playback the DSD or 192/24 stuff.

If you have any suggestions I would be GRATEFUL. Oh...I did indeed trade my c47 for the c2600 today. Will begin the setup this week.

Well, it is just as simple as connecting your Mac (with your external HD attached) via USB cable to your C2600 and using/configuring media player software such as ROON, Audirvana or JRiver Media Center - sort of... The above will get you started down the path to PC based music. But like everything else in this hobby, there are almost limitless options to tweaking the sound.

Then you fall into the world of:

1) Wondering if your Mac is the best PC to use.
2) Choosing the best USB cable.
3) Choosing the right media center software.
4) developing a redundant and fail safe back-up regime for your precious music. (The files now on your Sony are useless to you now as they cannot come off that drive in a useful format)

Good luck!
Main Equipment: Kharma Elegance dB11-S, JL Audio F113v2 X 2, Block Audio Line & Mono SE Amplification, Bricasti M21 DAC, Antipodes Kala K-50 Server, Clearaudio Performance SE. Satisfy tonearm & Maestro wood MM cartridge.
Power: Shunyata Everest 8000, Sigma XC v2, Sigma NR v2, Block Audio PCs, Defender, ADDPowr Wizard
Grounding: Shunyata Altaira CGS - 4 X Alpha CGS cables,
Network : Supra Cat 8+, Twin (Nenon) Modified Buffalo GS2016 Switches, Keces P3 LPSU,
Cables: Wireworld Platinum 8 USB, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 Speaker cables, 6M & 1M Tubulus Concentus ICs,
Other: Multiple GIK products, Stillpoint Apertures, Stillpoint Minis and Ultra SS, Three 20 Amp lines, Furutech GTX - Gold outlets, Adona Rack

Last edited by crwilli; 03-13-2017 at 12:45 PM.
Old 03-13-2017, 05:09 PM

^^
ALL TRUE! Thank you for the suggestions.
Old 03-13-2017, 05:15 PM
Racing Hoopties

Quote:
^^
ALL TRUE! Thank you for the suggestions.

My pleasure. There are many folks here that can add more detail and texture to my input.

Best thing is to jump in and get started!
Main Equipment: Kharma Elegance dB11-S, JL Audio F113v2 X 2, Block Audio Line & Mono SE Amplification, Bricasti M21 DAC, Antipodes Kala K-50 Server, Clearaudio Performance SE. Satisfy tonearm & Maestro wood MM cartridge.
Power: Shunyata Everest 8000, Sigma XC v2, Sigma NR v2, Block Audio PCs, Defender, ADDPowr Wizard
Network : Supra Cat 8+, Twin (Nenon) Modified Buffalo GS2016 Switches, Keces P3 LPSU,
Cables: Wireworld Platinum 8 USB, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 Speaker cables, 6M & 1M Tubulus Concentus ICs,
Other: Multiple GIK products, Stillpoint Apertures, Stillpoint Minis and Ultra SS, Three 20 Amp lines, Furutech GTX - Gold outlets, Adona Rack
Old 03-13-2017, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crwilli View Post
Well, it is just as simple as connecting your Mac (with your external HD attached) via USB cable to your C2600 and using/configuring media player software such as ROON, Audirvana or JRiver Media Center - sort of... The above will get you started down the path to PC based music. But like everything else in this hobby, there are almost limitless options to tweaking the sound.

Then you fall into the world of:

1) Wondering if your Mac is the best PC to use.
2) Choosing the best USB cable.
3) Choosing the right media center software.
4) developing a redundant and fail safe back-up regime for your precious music. (The files now on your Sony are useless to you now as they cannot come off that drive in a useful format)

Good luck!
Great thread!

I've had really great luck with a dedicated Mac Mini and an AQ Jitterbug and Cinnamon USB. I use a Drobo 5D connected via Thunderbolt to store/backup my media.

I've also heard the Aurender streamer...very nice, too.

I am really loving the C2600. GREAT upgrade from the C47.
Old 03-13-2017, 10:13 PM
Racing Hoopties

I am sorry for the build on this thread and if it took away from the OP's intent.

For each person, there are different considerations and I doubt for most that any of these McPre's would be a bad choice. At their heart they each are McIntosh smooth and clear. The main differentiator should be functionality.
Old 03-13-2017, 11:44 PM

So true! While I 'upgraded' to the c2600 from the c47. The c47 along with the MC452 is the best sounding components I've ever owned.

Just got the c2600 hooked up but too late to test out.
Old 03-14-2017, 01:50 AM

Quote:

Yes, the audio sounds better through C2600 by a big margin. I mean Sony sounds good but not great and a big drawback is no other digital out beside USB which is not compatible with Mcintosh gears. As someone mentioned, quality of USB cable is important, yesterday I got a better cable and tested, the sound improved another inche. And for regarding media software, I like Hysold better than Jriver. With Hysold, you can have a remote on your phone which makes your like a little easier and it is freeeee and works better than $50 Jriver software. Also you have to install MC drive to your comp from Mcintosh site, I sure you are tech savvy enough to do with one finger . Enjoy your C2600...
Old 03-14-2017, 11:52 AM

HAHAHAHA Good stuff Wonderkid. But you know for the life of me I can't find any drivers or software to work with my MacBook Pro Retina? Only see Windows.
Old 03-14-2017, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderkid23 View Post
Yes, the audio sounds better through C2600 by a big margin. I mean Sony sounds good but not great and a big drawback is no other digital out beside USB which is not compatible with Mcintosh gears. As someone mentioned, quality of USB cable is important, yesterday I got a better cable and tested, the sound improved another inche. And for regarding media software, I like Hysold better than Jriver. With Hysold, you can have a remote on your phone which makes your like a little easier and it is freeeee and works better than $50 Jriver software. Also you have to install MC drive to your comp from Mcintosh site, I sure you are tech savvy enough to do with one finger . Enjoy your C2600...

Is "Hysold" spelled correctly? Just trying to look it up...