AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Krell

Krell Leader in Audio Engineering

Old 11-17-2013, 09:19 PM

Default Krell Phantom preamp

I just got my Krell Phantom delivered last week, and I was compelled to share this. This is in no way a review. It is more like my audio diary.

I had gone through a number of preamps over the past few years - Mcintosh C50/C2300/C2500, ARC Ref5SE, Rogue Audio Hera II, Manley 300B/Jumbo Shrimp, Plinius Tautoro, Parasound, Krell Phantom III, etc.

My amplifiers have been Mcintosh MC601, Manley Neo500, Krell 2250e & 302e, Plinius SA-103. Speaker has been SF Stravidari.

I was in search of natural (neutral?) music reproduction. I didn't want the voice to be sweet when the recording wasn't meant to sound sweet. (BTW, I love Manley gears, especially Stingray, which has such seductive sound, but definitely not neutral.) I didn't want any salt & pepper & or any other exotic spices added to the recordings.

I also wanted to have a soundstage with each instrument and voice emanating from their own space. I love being able to identify each instruement in front of me - even during complex music passages and at louder volumes. (I understand amplifier probably has more effect on this at louder volumes.)

I have been listening to the Phantom for a week and all I can say is it sounds the most "real" of any other preamplifiers that came and went through my listening room. Krell's own marketing line is "Musicians appear silhouetted by the air about them, filling the room with a mesmerizing depiction of the recording. Music emanates from an expanse that outlines the recording venue, transporting you to the moment of creation." I really can't add any more to this...

The sound is not as seductive as some tube gears. It doesn't have the warm and fuzzy nostalgia some gears evoke with their illuminations.

Phantom sounds very smooth and liquid without any artificial sweetness or shimmer to it. It seems to present the sound as it was meant to be - with all instruments and vocals having their own space within the expansive holographic soundstage.

And the bass control... Well, it is a Krell... I think that says it all

I am not as articulate as some in this forum who can write very flowery and articulate reviews. But, when I dim the lights, sit back, and just listen, Phantom truly sounds the best, in my opinion, of all the preamps I have heard in my system.

And to be fair, I do have to admit this is the most expensive preamp I have heard. I wonder how similar/higher priced units would compare - like ARC ref10 or Mcintosh C1000. It never ends

Last edited by SteveK; 11-18-2013 at 12:43 AM.
Old 11-17-2013, 09:26 PM

Congrats on finding the pre-amp you like and I thought you did a fine job with the "diary".
Old 11-18-2013, 03:36 AM

Good review Steve. I'm planning to move up to an arc5se (I also have a 302e) but this has got me thinking.
Old 11-18-2013, 10:02 AM

The airiness and that sense of each instrument having own space is superlative in Phantom. It was similar to that wow effect when you hear the a great planar speakers for the first time, going from a low end cone speakers.
I work a lot on my iPad while listening to music. Many times, I would spontaneous look up to peek at the musicians, just out of reflex. Talk about feeling like "being there"...

But I did have great fun listening to Ref5se. It adds a bit of excitement to music, especially at the top end. And you can't beat that midrange tube magic. The bottom end was exceptionally well controlled even compared to solid state gear. The soundstage was great, but here is where Phantom trumps it.

And this is the strange part, Phantom didn't have that slight harshness that ref5se exhibited on some recordings. Apexorca on another thread mentioned this and I had my doubts. Not any more

I bet if I pair Krell 302e (or 400e) & ARC ref5se with Martin Logan CLX, I may get that sense of airiness and soundstage. But I wouldn't get that tight control from low midrange and down.

I agree Krells can sometimes sound too "real" and it can sound a bit analytical. I like that kind of sound. So, only your ears can decide.

BTW, what speakers do you have?
Old 11-18-2013, 10:50 AM
Merry Christmas to all

Steve.......Are you using the Krell Phantom with the separate power supply? Does your Phantom have the optional active crossover installed? Silver or black?

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 11-18-2013, 11:41 AM

Embarrassing to admit this... But, even with all these gears, I'm not a strong believer in cables and power supply. I have number of dedicated 20 amp outlets, but no power conditioner/regenerator, etc. I am using just good old 12 gauge copper speaker wires and decent $50-200 IC's. All stock AC cables.

I had opportunities to look at internal wiring of B&W 802D2, Monitor Audio G300, and Paradigm C5v3, Rel G1 (all of which I have owned). All of them had 12 gauge or less copper wires inside. I know this would a whole new discussion, but putting higher quality cables to bridge between these normal internal wirings of electronics & speakers doesn't seem logical. But audiophile hobby is never logical

I will be looking at some decent cables once I decide on my final piece of electronics - DAC & streamer combo.

I have Rel G1 which has built in crossover that I like, so I decided against built in crossover after much pondering. And I have it set at 36hz.

I usually like electronics in black, but I chose silver in this case. In case I get the upgrade bug, easier to sell or trade. And amazingly, even my wife says Krells look better in silver We were at Abt electronics and they had black 400e and 707 on display. Hey, whenever I can get any wife approval, I oblige.
Old 11-18-2013, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveK View Post
BTW, what speakers do you have?
Wilson Sophia 2 and I'm using an ARC CD8.

Must admit i dont hear harshness with the LS26 I'm currently using as the pre-amp. I've been thinking the ref5se upgrade was a 'no-brainer' based on reviews and experience thus far. Can't even remember seeing one on the top dog Phantom.

If one comes up second hand I might consider it - but I switched over to tube pre-amps to smooth out the top end so what you're saying sounds kinda counter-intuitive. Obviously the Krell Evo provides the muscle.
Old 11-18-2013, 12:48 PM

It seems like people who own Krells are happy and just keep to themselves. Krell doesn't appear to have a very vocal following like Mcintosh, ARC, JL audio, etc.

Tube being harsh? That is exactly what I thought! No way! But in my system, it was. Not much, but at least it was harsher than my current Phantom. Maybe it's all in synergy.

Last edited by SteveK; 11-18-2013 at 09:29 PM.
Old 11-18-2013, 01:07 PM

Yep could be and I would like to compare the two but it's just not feasible. In the end I will probably choose on what becomes available first on the used market at a decent price. I suspect the Phantom wont come up often.

Last edited by Mikeoz; 11-18-2013 at 01:14 PM.
Old 11-18-2013, 01:53 PM

Congratulations Steve.

I too own a Phantom, and consider myself as likely one of the luckiest bastards in this smallish community (AudioAficionado audiophiles), since the Phantom came to my place under pretty unique pattern of circumstances, both financial (I have a truly great Krell dealer in Belgrade, Serbia) and WAF (she swallowed somehow that this two-chassis monster costs "a bit more" than a good pair of shoes... lol). I have not such an extensive experience in swapping classy preamps through my listening room (only Parasound Halo JC-2 and Krell Evo-222, the rest was far lesser), but I can say that the Phantom overwhelmed even my bravest expectations sound wise. This is far better pre than, say, Evo-222, a very decent preamp itself. Too long story will be, if start a comparative review overhere, with my clumsy English...

But, I have been feeling myself always short of valuable experience never having a chance to hook up a good tube preamp in my system, like the ARC Ref. 5SE some of guys mentioned before, or similar. This could be a truly enlightening for a die-hard ss guy like me. Maybe, one day... Phantom will remain an absolute keeper, but, frankly, I will be heavily curious if meet any healthy opportunity to try ARC or alike. Long life, audiophilia...