AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 03-20-2017, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timobi View Post
Hey...regarding Tube Break in. I turned off the tube lights. Thought it may stay cooler.

Is it too much to leave it on all day while i am at work? I did this on the c47/mc452. played music thru the music server. Not loud but decent.

Just don't want to damage the tubes but would like to get 8 hours in today

Thoughts?

Since it's a pre-amp, I don't think you'd hurt anything by breaking in this way, as long as you've got good ventilation :-) After it's done, then a good 1/2 hour warm up should suffice to get the mojo working.

The tube lights are LED, so don't create any additional heat.

I'm doing the same thing with mine right now...great minds...[emoji6]
Old 03-20-2017, 10:02 AM

Thx Rjryan!
Old 03-20-2017, 11:07 AM

Default C2600....

absolutely, i left the c2500 on 24/7 for 10 days to speed up the process, the same thing with the esoteric for the different filters

Last edited by krustycat; 03-20-2017 at 11:49 AM.
Old 03-20-2017, 04:08 PM

good to know! Thx Guys!
Old 03-20-2017, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Thx Rjryan!
You're most welcome!

Ryan
Old 03-21-2017, 01:14 AM

Only have about 20 hours on the c2600 but truly overall I just hear marginal improvements. The MC phono is better for sure. But the overall system edginess and brightness remain. Now to be fair, the Triton 1's are dang revealing speakers. Maybe the MC452 is not a good match but I see this setup in other members galleries.

I do know its recording specific. Some vinyl and some digital sound GREAT. Other stuff comes across too forward and bright & I find myself wanting to turn the treble down. Never in all my audio life have i ever used tone controls.

Been reading on some acoustic treatments. May try some of those after I break in the c2600.

This 'brightness' was there with the c47. At times I thought it was warmer with the new C2600 but not so sure now.

Thoughts?
Old 03-21-2017, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Only have about 20 hours on the c2600 but truly overall I just hear marginal improvements. The MC phono is better for sure. But the overall system edginess and brightness remain. Now to be fair, the Triton 1's are dang revealing speakers. Maybe the MC452 is not a good match but I see this setup in other members galleries.

I do know its recording specific. Some vinyl and some digital sound GREAT. Other stuff comes across too forward and bright & I find myself wanting to turn the treble down. Never in all my audio life have i ever used tone controls.

Been reading on some acoustic treatments. May try some of those after I break in the c2600.

This 'brightness' was there with the c47. At times I thought it was warmer with the new C2600 but not so sure now.

Thoughts?

I have about 70 hours on mine through various sources, and had the same issue for a time. It vacillated between wonderful and awful right around the same hour mark that you're referencing, especially on vinyl. Mine has settled in really nicely of late, but it is much more revealing than my C47 was in my system.

I would always recommend acoustic treatments where you can. I'm a professor and professional audio engineer, and have designed my fair share of listening rooms and studio spaces - without exception, the proper use of acoustic treatments improves sonics. Just don't fall into the "more absorption is better" trap [emoji846] Sometimes controlling the bass and first reflections is all that is needed. Diffusion can also be your friend.
Old 03-21-2017, 11:16 AM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Timobi.......At just 20 hours on your C2600 preamplifier you are a bit premature in your evaluation of its performance. At 100+ hours you will find the preamplifier has settled into a more permanent voice.

You didn't say how many hours are on your power amplifier but the same is true about the MC452. My experience with that power amplifier demonstarted it took over 120 hours, more like 150 hours of break-in to settle into its permanent voice. It was bright and aggressive for quite a period of time before finally presenting the full frequency range in proper perspective.

I would not spend much time trying to evaluate the C2600 or the MC452 until you reach about 150 hours. By that time you will have a preamplifier and power amplifier that is astonishing. Be patient. There is no fast track to audio component break-in. As has been suggested, let the components play 24/7 at various volume levels. After a week you will have the break-in behind you.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 03-21-2017, 12:20 PM

Thx Guys!..yes the MC452 probably has about 400 hours? And true, I am being a bit premature on the c2600. I think what's perplexing is the inconsistency at times even with the same recordings. But you guys are spot on. WAY more time is needed. I grew to love the c47-mc452 combo and I know I will on this. I have it playing on shuffle as we speak while I am at work

Neighbors be damned

Think I will wait until more hours are on this before pursuing room treatments. One reason for that is I lease a home that I intend to get out of later this year. My room is leaky as heck and have been hesitant on obtaining room acoustic materials for this room. But I know I need it!

Thx again guys for the encouragement. I also had an ear procedure last month & my hearing is on par with Dogs. Think I preferred the wax buildup hehehehe
Old 03-21-2017, 04:29 PM

I am confused now. C47 or C2600. Digital is my only source connected to a laptop. Plus I need HT Bypass.