AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Isolation, Tips & Tweaks

Isolation, Tips & Tweaks Enhance your enjoyment

Old 02-18-2016, 05:56 AM

I couldn't find anything about them on their site... Any extra info on these black fuses?
Pre-amp/Digital: exaSound e32 w UpTone JS-2 Power Supply; SOtM tX-USBultra w UpTone LPS1.2; Apple Mac Mini w UpTone DC Conversion Kit & UpTone JS-2 Power Supply; Squeezelite w Logitech Media Server 7.9.0
Speakers: Triangle Magellan Cello II
Cables: AudioQuest WEL XLR, AudioQuest Everest, AudioQuest Hurricane HC, AudioQuest NRG-1000, AudioQuest Diamond USB
Rack: Solid Tech Hybrid
Tweaks: Omicron Stabilizzatore Armonico & Gold Evolution SE; IsoTek Sigmas GII w Optimum EVO3; Furutech FT-SWS (R) AC Outlet; Synergistic Research Blue Quantum Fuse

Last edited by johndoe21ro; 06-04-2019 at 04:38 AM.
Old 02-23-2016, 08:44 AM

A few impressions of the SR Black have started coming in now. Especially on the PS Audio forum (not the one on this site). The consensus is that it's well worth the price difference above the Red.

As the prise rise is not as great as I'd originally feared (from £60-£70 Red to £80 Black in the UK), this is still well under beeswax prices, so the Black goes to top of my list for the next time I need an audiophile fuse.
Old 02-23-2016, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Attorney View Post
A few impressions of the SR Black have started coming in now. Especially on the PS Audio forum (not the one on this site). The consensus is that it's well worth the price difference above the Red. As the prise rise is not as great as I'd originally feared (from £60-£70 Red to £80 Black in the UK), this is still well under beeswax prices, so the Black goes to top of my list for the next time I need an audiophile fuse.
Where are you getting the Black price of £80? Do they have stock? Thanks.
Avid Acutus SP, NO ARM, Benz Micro LP-S, Whest Audio PS.40RDT SE, PS Audio DSMP+DS DAC, Simaudio Moon 700i, Dali Epicon 6, Simaudio Moon Nēo 430HAD, HiFiMan HE-1000v2, Chord Sarum SA XLR, RCA, USB, Chord Sarum speaker, Nordost Vishnu power, Furutech plugs, PS Audio P10+Chord Sarum SA power, Stillpoints Ultra SS, Ultra Mini and LPI, HiFi Racks rack, Audio Desk Systeme PRO+Keith Monks Omni RCM
Old 02-24-2016, 03:48 PM

Why, is that a good price then? I haven't searched very hard so far. Anyway, not sure if links to other sites is allowed here, but I use analogueseduction, who do claim to have the full set of blacks in stock.
Old 02-24-2016, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Attorney View Post
Why, is that a good price then? I haven't searched very hard so far. Anyway, not sure if links to other sites is allowed here, but I use analogueseduction, who do claim to have the full set of blacks in stock.
Ah, my old friend Gary Penska. Thanks.
Avid Acutus SP, NO ARM, Benz Micro LP-S, Whest Audio PS.40RDT SE, PS Audio DSMP+DS DAC, Simaudio Moon 700i, Dali Epicon 6, Simaudio Moon Nēo 430HAD, HiFiMan HE-1000v2, Chord Sarum SA XLR, RCA, USB, Chord Sarum speaker, Nordost Vishnu power, Furutech plugs, PS Audio P10+Chord Sarum SA power, Stillpoints Ultra SS, Ultra Mini and LPI, HiFi Racks rack, Audio Desk Systeme PRO+Keith Monks Omni RCM
Old 02-24-2016, 06:15 PM

I've read that it's recommended to try the fuse both directions because it can affect the sound... Have y'all noticed that? I'm definitely interested in the black fuses myself.
Old 02-25-2016, 05:12 PM

Yes i have noticed that. In general, one direction is more "dynamic" than the other. I don't know how that could possibly be so in an AC circuit, but that's what I've noticed on a number of occasions. I've usually preferred the "dynamic" side, but it can exacerbate residual brightness, so the "softer" side may be preferable in some cases. Who could have possibly predicted a few years ago that "fuse rolling" would ever take off? )
Old 02-25-2016, 11:17 PM

Seriously! Hahahaha, who knew?
Old 03-01-2016, 04:52 AM

I went through a whole series of fuse testing and my experience indicates that the RED are probably the fuse that sounds pretty good in most equipment. Yes, I think it will sound much better than a stock fuse (that can be anywhere from dull/soft sounding to bright/harsh). There is no harshness at all with the RED. However, I have found that it is not as fast or detailed sounding as other fuses. Because of that, it sounds a little low-fidelity to me and the music is somewhat less real. The fastest fuse I have heard (most solid state sounding) is the Furutech, with the SR20 being 2nd fastest. I almost thought the SR20 was the one, but it turned out to be too bright with the highs and was very lean in the midbass. The overall best I have found for the majority of solid-state equipment is the IsoClean (which is actually the cheapest audiophile fuse). It is fast enough for details, but not too fast and sounds very strong and natural. One thing I have found is that tube equipment tends to work better with faster fuses (such as the SR20). I think this is related to the power supply where the 110V from the wall has to be cranked up to something like 300-400V for the tubes themselves. All solid state equipment generally down-converts the voltage to something in the 12-65V range.
Old 03-07-2016, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by auxinput View Post
I went through a whole series of fuse testing and my experience indicates that the RED are probably the fuse that sounds pretty good in most equipment. Yes, I think it will sound much better than a stock fuse (that can be anywhere from dull/soft sounding to bright/harsh). There is no harshness at all with the RED. However, I have found that it is not as fast or detailed sounding as other fuses. Because of that, it sounds a little low-fidelity to me and the music is somewhat less real. The fastest fuse I have heard (most solid state sounding) is the Furutech, with the SR20 being 2nd fastest. I almost thought the SR20 was the one, but it turned out to be too bright with the highs and was very lean in the midbass. The overall best I have found for the majority of solid-state equipment is the IsoClean (which is actually the cheapest audiophile fuse). It is fast enough for details, but not too fast and sounds very strong and natural. One thing I have found is that tube equipment tends to work better with faster fuses (such as the SR20). I think this is related to the power supply where the 110V from the wall has to be cranked up to something like 300-400V for the tubes themselves. All solid state equipment generally down-converts the voltage to something in the 12-65V range.
Interesting findings! Thanks for sharing them!
Pre-amp/Digital: exaSound e32 w UpTone JS-2 Power Supply; SOtM tX-USBultra w UpTone LPS1.2; Apple Mac Mini w UpTone DC Conversion Kit & UpTone JS-2 Power Supply; Squeezelite w Logitech Media Server 7.9.0
Speakers: Triangle Magellan Cello II
Cables: AudioQuest WEL XLR, AudioQuest Everest, AudioQuest Hurricane HC, AudioQuest NRG-1000, AudioQuest Diamond USB
Rack: Solid Tech Hybrid
Tweaks: Omicron Stabilizzatore Armonico & Gold Evolution SE; IsoTek Sigmas GII w Optimum EVO3; Furutech FT-SWS (R) AC Outlet; Synergistic Research Blue Quantum Fuse

Last edited by johndoe21ro; 06-04-2019 at 04:37 AM.