AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > General Speaker Discussion

General Speaker Discussion Calling all Speakers

Old 01-26-2012, 10:16 AM

Updated List:

Wilson Sasha $27k (can be found 2ndhand)
Rockport Avior $30 (wow!)
Focal Scala Utopia $30 (findable 2ndhand)
Magico Q3 $34 (looks great)
Sonus Faber Futura $36 (more classical/jazz focused?)
TAD CR-1 $37 (would need a sub)

Forum recommendations:

Dynaudio Confidence C4 Signature $22k
Vivid Audio B1 $15k
Wisdom Audio L75 SCS Sub ~$30k
Sony SS-AR1 $27k
Evolution Acoustics MMOne $38k
Avalon Acoustics Indra $20k

Old 01-26-2012, 10:17 AM

continued...

Vienna Acoustics' Music $27k
Martin-Logan Summit-XS $14k
Franco Serblin Ktema $40k
TAD Evolution-1 $30k
Magico S5 $29k
Marten Django $15k
Verity Audio Amadis $30k
Audio Physic Avanteras $27k
Revel Ultima Salon2 $22k

Last edited by jdebonth; 01-26-2012 at 11:40 AM.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:22 AM

Wink

Plenty of very good recommendations so far !
Another worthy candidate to consider would be the Verity Audio Amadis, a loudspeaker that respects all of your stated preferences:

1. Highly resolving/detailed
2. Accurate/neutral
3. Big, deep, controlled bass
4. Large open 3D soundstage
5. Extended but natural highs
Must have: Clean, lively, and exciting; plays well with all genre's (rock/electronica)

It has been reviewed in Tone Magazine, issue #42 (Variation On a Theme). Here is Jeff Dorgay's conclusion :

Quote:
A Winner

This is really the point of diminishing returns. Crazy as it may sound, a handful of fantastic speakers in the $25-$40k range, with careful setup and electronics selection, delivers 90 percent of what cost-no-object speakers portray.

And these select few models do so without making the kinds of demands on room setup and amplifier power that are often associated with six-figure loudspeakers.

The Verity Audio Amadis is at the top of a very short list of speakers in its price range for which I would happily write a check, a designation that helps win it our 2011 Product of the Year Award in the speaker category.

Verity Audio Amadis
MSRP: $29,995-$37,995/pair, depending on finish

Last edited by Kaliar; 01-26-2012 at 10:26 AM.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:26 AM

Many of those speakers have different sound signatures, time to start demoing.

HT: Marantz AV7005, W4S Mini MC-5, Custom Waveguide Towers, SVSPB12-Plus/2
Old 01-26-2012, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Face View Post
Many of those speakers have different sound signatures, time to start demoing.
Yeah so far this has been very divergent... which is good.

I want to shortlist 3 or 4 that provide closest to what I am looking for sonically and then audition these.

So far I think the TAD CR-1 and Rockport Avior's are on that list...
Old 01-26-2012, 10:45 AM
World's Oldest Audiophile

Arrow Audio Physic Avantera (and Cardeas)

Don't hear much about German made - Audio Physic speakers in these pages, but they are a force to be reckoned with.

In the current issue of The Absolute Sound, Jonathan Valin compares a pair of Audio Physic Avanteras (27K) to speakers selling for over twice their price, and finds that they compare very favorably, and even beat them in some areas.

A headline on cover of the February 2012 issue of TAS proclaims: "Giant Killer! . . Audio Physic's Avantera Speaker".

I'd suggest reading the review and adding Audio Physic Avantera speakers to the list. http://www.avguide.com/review/audio-...peaker-tas-220

I'm currently using a pair of Audio Physic Caldera 3 speakers in my main system (discontinued but were 35K in my ebony finish) in preference to a (my) pair of Avalon Eidolons, because (IMHO) they equal the avalons in pure refined sound, transparency, etc, but are more full range, have much better bass and fill the room with sound much better than do the Eidolons. (and the Eidolons ain't no slouches).

My speakers were replaced by the Audio Physic Cardeas speakers, making the Avantera the second down in the line, but, having heard the speakers, I can say that they are serious world class contenders.

I have a record player and a cd player and some other stuff that sounds pretty good.

MAIN SYSTEM: . . . Audio Physic Caldera III Loudspeakers, Spectral DMC 30SL Preamp, Spectral DMA 250 Amp, Spectral/MIT interconnects and speaker cable, Basis Debut V Vacuum turntable, Walker Precision Speed Controller, Graham tonearm, [B]Koetsu Rosewood or Grado Statement 1 Cartridges, PASS - X-ono Phono Stage, Esoteric K03 CD/SACD Player, Lexicon RT-20 Universal Player, Exact Power EP-15A & SP-15A power regeneration and conditioning devices. Symposium Acoustics Svelte pads & RollerBlock Jr's under speakers. ASC Tube Traps, Arcici Suspense Rack System, OPPO and Cambridge Streaming Devices.

DOWNSTAIRS SYSTEM: . . . Sonus Faber Guarneri Memento Speakers, JL Audio F112 Sub, McIntosh MA7000 Integrated Amp, McIntosh MVP871 Universal Disc Player, OPPO BDP-105 Blu-Ray Player, VPI Scoutmaster with periphery ring clamp, VPI SDS Motor Drive, Koetsu Pro IV, or Clearaudio Discovery Cartridges, Mark Levinson No. 25s phono stage, Wadia 170i Transport with a Meridian Bitstream 203 DAC, VPI HW-17 Pro Record Cleaning Machine, Five Richard Gray RGPC 400 devices scattered around the two systems, Arcici Suspense Rack System, Discovery Essence and Essential Cables, 14,000 ± LPs .

Last edited by AudioNut; 01-26-2012 at 11:05 AM.
Old 01-26-2012, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by howiebrou View Post
Franco Serblin Ktema? You should be able to get them for under 35k a pair and boy are they beautiful both in looks and in sound!
I would second adding the Ktema to the list though they're US list price is $39,995 (told to me by Art Manzano at CES this month).
Myles Astor, Senior Editor., Positive-Feedback.com, Goldmund Telos 300 amplifier, Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier, Doshi EVO phono and tape stages; Zellaton Plural EVO speakers; VPI Vanquish Turntable, VPI 12-inch Fat Boy gimbal arm and SAT LM-12 arm; Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga mk.2, vdh Colibri Master Signature cartridges; Technics 1506/FM heads; Various cables including TA, MIT, Kubala-Sosna, Skogrand, Viero L3 Equilibrio speaker cables, Audience, SRA Craz 3 rack, Isobase and OHIO Class XL+2.1 platforms.
Old 01-26-2012, 11:05 AM

TAD's will need subs. It's not just about bass dynamics and the ability to move air - but if you don't get any below 30hz info then you never good al lof the acoustical signals of space that are on the recording. It's really important to be truly full range to get all the spatial details.
Old 01-26-2012, 11:19 AM

Verity Audio Amadis and Audio Physic Avanteras added, great looking speakers.
Old 01-26-2012, 11:30 AM

Amazing that no one has mentioned Revel Salon 2's, Maybe the best value among high end speakers. Absolutely intoxicating sound, especially with Mc amps !!