AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > General Speaker Discussion

General Speaker Discussion Calling all Speakers

Old 01-29-2012, 02:56 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
It actually makes perfect sense. I always have someone sit in the sweetspot and have them hold a tape measure to the tip of their nose as I measure the distance to each speaker inside and outside corners to be within 1/8 of an inch for that perfect alignment. That is of course after the speakers are placed in the room for a smooth bass response and best possible imaging. Works great for me. The strings and sticks works similarly I guess.
Yes, Serge, and my audio buddy Gregory, who came over last night to listen to the Sumiko Pearwood and the Schiit Bifrost DAC, told me of a friend who used laser levels on top of their speakers to get their speakers positioned exactly right.

As I have found out from my REW in-room FR measurements, 6 inches makes a difference with respect to chair placement and flattest frequency response. I use a tape measure from the top of the Contours' baffles to my Zero G chair, and measure to the headrest from the center of each baffle. The Contour has a unique rigid aluminum plate baffle bolted to the cabinets, so it's easy to place the hook of the tape measure on that and just pull the tape measure to the Zero G chair. I've found 9' 6" in front of the speakers produces the best FR and interestingly, the best imaging.

Gregory loved the Pearwood, BTW, and is impressed with the Bifrost, particularly for what it costs.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 01-29-2012, 02:57 PM

Myles, I will take you up on your very kind offer, but you have to promise to let me play CDs. No vinyl, thats cheating. I dont have any vinyl, so I need to get the warm and fuzzy from CD (and eventually computer based audio, which is my next project). I'll give you a shout tmw.

I actually have a possibility of getting a used set of Salon 2's for a GREAT price, so this horse race may end abruptly. In the interim, hopefully I will get to hear the Whisper XD, which I think may be a strong candidate for a variety of reasons beyond what I've read about it's sound, including ease of placement and using it's powered sub for HT LFE. Also hopefully will listen to the Sophia 3 and the Elipsa (although karsajid said they were too polite for him, and I dont want polite).

Jdebonth, I've heard the Mira and the Ankaa. The Mira was not impressive, but the Ankaa....WOW. It was two years ago, but it was incredible as I recollect. Very interested in your opinion when you hear them. A physically imposing speaker size-wise as i remember.

BTW, what a pleasure to converse on this site. No flaming, everyone is so nice and helpful. Really nice place. Thanks all.
Old 01-29-2012, 03:09 PM
Lower Provo River, UT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
It actually makes perfect sense. I always have someone sit in the sweetspot and have them hold a tape measure to the tip of their nose as I measure the distance to each speaker inside and outside corners to be within 1/8 of an inch for that perfect alignment. That is of course after the speakers are placed in the room for a smooth bass response and best possible imaging. Works great for me. The strings and sticks works similarly I guess.

If you're going to use visual metrics to assess aural results...
Old 01-29-2012, 03:13 PM
Lower Provo River, UT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
As I have found out from my REW in-room FR measurements, 6 inches makes a difference with respect to chair placement and flattest frequency response.
6 inches equals miles in speaker set up.
Old 01-29-2012, 03:22 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphacts View Post
6 inches equals miles in speaker set up.
Yup.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 01-29-2012, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat

I've only heard the Sophia 2s and the Alexandrias and the Maxx3s...I should arrange a listen to the Sashas, as my local dealer in Berkeley is a Wilson dealer. At the CA Audio Show, they were using Maxx3s with Spectral, and the combo drove me out of the room in less than 5 minutes. I went across to the MBL room and it was like a breath of fresh air. The other issue I hve with the big Wilsons (Maxx and Alexandria) is they are really ugly. Of all the Wilsons, I think the Sashas are most attractive.

I'm familiar with the "head in a vice" sweet spot phenomenon, the Green Mountain time-coherent speakers are like that. In fact, Green Mountain gives their customers a string device with sticks on the end that you are supposed to put in your ears to get them time-aligned correctly. One of the most ridiculous things I've ever seen.
Stephen,

They were not set up correctly, trust me.
Nobody and I mean nobody including you buddy, cold have leave JM's room when Stevie Ray Vaughan was played ( should I say "was playing" ? ) on the WP8 yesterday. Those speakers are so good when properly set up and driven, that they make you loose all your references. ALL YOUR REFERENCES.

I have to add the Sashas to the list. Although I did not hear them sounding good, I'm sure that they can be spectacular, as the WP8.

Sent from my iPad using A.Aficionado
Old 01-29-2012, 04:11 PM

Thanks Joe, they are amazing!!
Congrats Mike, I know you're loving yours too!!!
Old 01-29-2012, 04:18 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by C220MC275 View Post
Stephen,

Nobody and I mean nobody including you buddy, cold have leave JM's room when Stevie Ray Vaughan was played ( should I say "was playing" ? ) on the WP8 yesterday. Those speakers are so good when properly set up and driven, that they make you loose all your references. ALL YOUR REFERENCES.
interesting. Right now my reference is the TAD CR-1.

Speaking of references, have you heard the new Sony SS-AR1s?
Old 01-29-2012, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphacts View Post
If you're going to use visual metrics to assess aural results...
Bill, I have the luxury of a fully symmetrical room with no furniture issues to deal with. No giant couches on the side of one speaker, no tables, no bookshelves, etc... Since my room is also symmetrical and rectangular, I find both speakers couple virtually identical to the walls. There is no reason for me not to keep them phase and timed aligned precisely. In some other rooms I have had situations where one speaker needed to be positioned a bit different but from personal experience I find that as long as I can set up a pair of speakers and I'm getting smooth bass response, when I time and phase align them to the best of my ability, everything else falls right into place.

Do you have a different view on this?
Old 01-29-2012, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C220MC275 View Post
Stephen,

I have to add the Sashas to the list. Although I did not hear them sounding good, I'm sure that they can be spectacular, as the WP8.

Sent from my iPad using A.Aficionado
Jerome, with the previous generations of Wilson speakers, the camp was split virtually down the middle... Many thought they were simply awesome and many thought they were just a bit too cold and clinical for anything but the best quality recordings. Sasha has gone on to win many more fans and I have and still do find them much more engaging and moving while being even better than what the W/P 7 and 8 were. The ability to resolve spatial information and imaging as well as dynamic contrast is even better yet. A must audition with the right setup and gear! I don't think I need to mention the record sales numbers!