AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Home Theater

Home Theater Novice to Sublime

Old 12-13-2009, 08:31 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Default Oppo BDP-83 Special Edition

I ordered the Oppo BDP-83 Special Edition today. As good as the standard BDP-83 sounds with the single Cirrus Logic DAC, and it does sound very good, I just could not resist owning the BDP-83SE with four ESS Sabre32 Ultra DAC's per channel, and the all new analog audio stage power supply.

I expect the Oppo BDP-83SE to be quite a step up in clarity, and sonic presentation. With specs like this: stereo: 20Hz - 44kHz (±0.2dB); 20Hz - 96kHz (±1.1dB); 7.1ch: 20Hz - 44kHz (±0.4dB), and an unweighted signal to noise ratio of 117dB, it would not surprise me to hear the BDP-83 Special Edition approach the performance level of the MCD500 in two channel analog output. In two channel Oppo uses the new ESS Sabre32 Ultra DAC's in a dual quad arrangement, similar to the MCD500. I am anticipating exceptional CD/HDCD/SACD/DVD/DVD-A, and Blu-ray DVD sound. Of course, the video section remains the same, but no reason to change any of that since it is using one of the most adavnced video precessing chips on the market today, the VRS by Anchor Bay. The 1080i and 1080p video performance of the Oppo BDP-83 and BDP-83SE is exemplary.

I will move the Oppo BPD-83 that is in the home theater system now to the living room system, where I have only two channels in the main system for DVD video sound, and I use "only" with tounge in cheek. I will move the new Sony BDP-S560 Blu-ray player from the living room to the bedroom, replacing the Pioneer Elite DV-37 DVD player there. That will finally put Blu-ray players at all four widescreens in the house.

I am looking forward to putting the new Oppo BDP-83 Special Edition into the surround sound system of the home theater. I am very excited to hear what the new ESS Sabre32 Ultra DAC's sound like. Even with the new DAC's, analog power supply, and backlit remote control, it is hard to believe this incredible Blu-ray player sells for less than $900.00. This is the player to beat under $2K in my opinion.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A

Last edited by jdandy; 12-13-2009 at 11:12 PM.
Old 12-13-2009, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
I ordered the Oppo BDP-83 Special Edition today. As good as the standard BDP-83 sounds with the single Cirrus Logic DAC, and it does sound very good, I just could not resist owning the BDP-83SE with four ESS Sabre32 Ultra DAC's per channel, and the all new analog audio stage power supply.

I expect the Oppo BDP-83SE to be quite a step up in clarity, and sonic presentation. With specs like this: stereo: 20Hz - 44kHz (±0.2dB); 20Hz - 96kHz (±1.1dB); 7.1ch: 20Hz - 44kHz (±0.4dB), and an unweighted signal to noise ratio of 117dB, it would not surprise me to hear the BDP-83 Special Edition approach the performance level of the MCD500 in two channel analog output. In two channel Oppo uses the new ESS Sabre32 Ultra DAC's in a dual quad arrangement, similar to the MCD500. I am anticipating exceptional CD/HDCD/SACD/DVD/DVD-A, and Blu-ray DVD sound. Of course, the video section remains the same, but no reason to change any of that since it is using one of the most adavnced video precessing chips on the market today, the VRS by Anchor Bay. The 1080i and 1080p video performance of the Oppo BDP-83 and BDP-83SE is exemplary.

I will move the Oppo BPD-83 that is in the home theater system now to the living room system, where I have only two channels of the main system for DVD video sound, and I use "only" with tounge in cheek. I will move the new Sony BDP-S560 Blu-ray player from the living room to the bedroom, replacing the Pioneer Elite DV-37 DVD player there. That will finally put Blu-ray players at all four widescreens in the house.

I am looking forward to putting the new Oppo BDP-83 Special Edition into the surround sound system of the home theater. I am very excited to hear what the new ESS Sabre32 Ultra DAC's sound like. Even with the new DAC's, analog power supply, and backlit remote control, it is hard to believe this incredible Blu-ray player sells for less than $900.00. This is the player to beat under $2K in my opinion.
Dan,

Indeed the Oppo BDP-83se is a great machine, by far in terms of cost vs performance. However, I was wondering why you did not order the one MOD by ModWright? Think their additional works would place this already very excellent player right up there with the best - and still at a very competitive pricing.

Anyway, congratulations on your new collection ..... think more to come. Noticed you have been on a shopping spree since the acquisition of the EB1i's.

Cheers!
SACD/DAC: Luxman D-10x
Server: Roon Nucleus+ 8TB SSD + Plixir Elite LPS
Bluray: ModWright Oppo UDP205
Amps: Air Tight ATC-5/ATM300R/ATH-3
Speakers: Avantgarde Uno XD Piano Black/Stealth Grey
Cables & Interconnects: Audience Au24 SX Series
Power Conditioner: Audience aR6 OX
Rack & Amp Stands: Audio-Philar
Old 12-13-2009, 09:03 PM

Congrats Dan,

Just curious why you didn't you just send yours back for the $300 for the upgrade ?
Old 12-13-2009, 09:17 PM

... maybe Dan will send his back for the upgrade once he hears the SE.

Dan asked me to create this thread, and I wasn't sure what to say. I have the Oppo BDP-83 Special Edition already, and I love it. I have difficulty "A/B ing" it because I don't have the MCD500 to compare to. I want to hear Dan's comparision of the 83 in 2-channel going head to head with the MCD500.

I am very impressed with the sound quality I am getting from the SE. It replaces a Panasonic Blu-ray working through the HDMI of the Onkyo processor. Now, the SE runs multi-channel analog out into the Onkyo. The Onkyo goes out over XLR to an MC205 running B&W 804S's, HTMD3, and 805S's.

I am now replaying some of my opera and ballet disks. I sat through the Nutcracker the other night and thorougly enjoyed it, likewise the Legends of Jazz. I need to spend more time with the SE to make the final verdict, but my initial sense is that I am enjoying music a lot more in the home theater now.

I am thinking about moving it downstairs to compare with the MCD301.
Old 12-13-2009, 09:54 PM

I ordered the regular one recently, and very pleased. I might send it for upgrading, maybe one day.

Everything about Oppo is first rate IMO.
Old 12-13-2009, 09:57 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Jerry.......I have four reasons for not considering the ModWright upgrade modifications. The first reason is I want the new ESS DACs, and they are not part of ModWright's upgrade. Second, The surround sound home theater system is in the same room as my all tube two channel system which includes the MCD500. It is, and will remain my prefered two channel source. I am not looking for a modded DVD player attempting to outperform it. Third, although I enjoy the novelty of surround sound music, and concert DVD's, and really like surround sound for movies, my preference for listening to music is two channels. The final reason is the price of the mod. $1296.00 plus shipping, not including the original cost of the BDP-83 player. Since surround sound is most important to me for movies, of which I am not as critical of the sound, the cost versus benefit ratio of the ModWright upgrade is too extreme for my requirements.

When the new Oppo BDP-83 Special Edition arrives I will compare it's two channel analog performance to the MCD500 for curiosities sake, not because I intend to replace the MCD500 as my two channel source in the studio. Besides, the Oppo player will be connected to the MX120 in the surround sound system, not the C1000T in the two channel tube system.

I know the improved audio performance with the ESS Sabre32 Ultra DAC's, and the new analog power supply are well worth the $899 price of the BDP-83SE. It is my desire to have the improved DAC's at my service in the home theater system for the times I play surround sound SACD's and concert DVD's, but that is a small part of the hours I spend listening to music in the studio. I see no benefit for my use of the player to go for an extreme, high dollar modification to my original BDP-83, and still be without the new ESS DAC's.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 12-13-2009, 09:58 PM

Dan
Are you going to be able to see how this handles music blu-ray in 2-channel mode? I would like a hi rez music only blu ray player but will not use it that often so this price point is pretty good. Do you have disc that could be downl=mixed to 2-channel to try out?
Jim
Old 12-13-2009, 10:11 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1KW View Post
Just curious why you didn't just send yours back for the $300 upgrade ?
David.......I considered the $299 upgrade, but decided I would rather move the BDP-83 I have now to the living room system. I have Sony 52XBR9 displays in the studio and the living room, both able to take full advantage of the gorgeous 1080p Blu-ray output of the Oppo BDP-83 players. Since I only use two channel audio for the video in the living room system, it made the most sense to purchase a new Special Edition player for the studio surround sound system, where I can make the best use of the improved DAC's, and move the original Oppo BDP-83 player upstairs.

Last edited by jdandy; 12-13-2009 at 10:19 PM.
Old 12-13-2009, 10:17 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Jim.......At this time I have no high-rez audio discs.

Old 12-13-2009, 11:00 PM

Dan,

Try some of the 2L blu-rays -- blu-ray, multiple formats, and an SACD -- all in the same package.