AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Accuphase

Accuphase Enrich Life through Technology

Old 04-22-2013, 11:43 PM

Also had a DP500 in the past, was the only Accuphase unit I have been disappointed with.
The unit didn't have any problems, but sound quality was way behind the Ayre CX7e mp.

Still enjoying my E-560 amplifier though, great unit, and really like the looks of it.
Hopefully I can upgrade to Pre/power amplifier soon.

Olaf
Old 04-22-2013, 11:47 PM

Accuphase Owners & fans alike.

Old 04-22-2013, 11:57 PM

Wanted to ask the thread,

Without price comparison internationally, would you splash out the cash for Accuphase products from an authorized dealer here in the US? Are their products better than its price tag? From a mc owner's perspective, I think mc is worth more than its price tag, and I'd be alright to be paying higher than I've purchased them.

UK & Europe sells mc for quite a premium, but if I lived there and wanted the service and support, I'll be alright to pay. An ease of mind and short down-time is much more worth it than having to figure things out myself in a serious troubleshoot.

Sent from my iPhone using A.Aficionado
Old 04-23-2013, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imprezap2 View Post
Also had a DP500 in the past, was the only Accuphase unit I have been disappointed with.
The unit didn't have any problems, but sound quality was way behind the Ayre CX7e mp.

Still enjoying my E-560 amplifier though, great unit, and really like the looks of it.
Hopefully I can upgrade to Pre/power amplifier soon.

Olaf
I wonder what kind of problem you encounter with the DP-500. I was very happy with mine, no flaws at all, built to the highest standard. Red book sound it awesome, I sold it because I wanted SACD also. Compare to the K-03 Red book is equally good if not better. That said I will keep my Esoteric K-03 for a while and probably will not reach 500 hours, when financials allow in a few months I sell it and get the K-01. So some lucky person will save a lot on a K-03 when I do sell.
Angel
Ansuz DTC Power Distributor, DTC Power Cables, D2 Speakers and Interconnect cables, DTC Power Box
Old 04-23-2013, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamhifi View Post
I wonder what kind of problem you encounter with the DP-500. I was very happy with mine, no flaws at all, built to the highest standard. Red book sound it awesome, I sold it because I wanted SACD also. Compare to the K-03 Red book is equally good if not better. That said I will keep my Esoteric K-03 for a while and probably will not reach 500 hours, when financials allow in a few months I sell it and get the K-01. So some lucky person will save a lot on a K-03 when I do sell.
Angel
Again if Accuphase takes something out better than the DP-700 .........
Ansuz DTC Power Distributor, DTC Power Cables, D2 Speakers and Interconnect cables, DTC Power Box
Old 04-23-2013, 08:55 PM

Hi,

For me the Ayre CX7e MP was much more engaging me in the music, better soundstage, depth and more drive in the low frequencies.
(and at the time 2000,- Euro less then the DP-500) I ended up trading my DP-500 for the Ayre.

I am an Accuphase fan (still have the E-560), but the DP-500 was not my player.

Olaf
Old 04-24-2013, 04:38 AM

Huge fan here.

I have the E360 and it's a great integrated. It can drive the Elipsa without problem.

I feel they are more dynamic and more revealing that the McIntosh but they don't have the warmth that Mc can have. But my personal taste are for less warmth and more transparent sound.

I also like the add-on cards. Mine is filled with the DAC30 and the AD20 (phono stage). I will probably sell the DAC30 since I bought a DP67 (the card is on par with the CD player).

I haven't compare the DP67 with another player so I cannot comment on that. However I can say that I really like that it has digital in and out plus an additional set of digital IO for the use of an equalizer. I use a cheap Behringer for room correction and I stay in the digital domain (no loss due to poor D/A conversion).

My next upgrade will probably be the source. I'd love to see how Accuphase compare with the Esoteric and I'd hate to move away from the Accuphase look.

Finally, the build on the product is unparalleled. They are extremely heavy and they have a great attention to details. I have lift the CD player by the tray without being afraid to damage it.
Old 04-24-2013, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enit View Post
Wanted to ask the thread,

Without price comparison internationally, would you splash out the cash for Accuphase products from an authorized dealer here in the US? Are their products better than its price tag? From a mc owner's perspective, I think mc is worth more than its price tag, and I'd be alright to be paying higher than I've purchased them.

UK & Europe sells mc for quite a premium, but if I lived there and wanted the service and support, I'll be alright to pay. An ease of mind and short down-time is much more worth it than having to figure things out myself in a serious troubleshoot.

Sent from my iPhone using A.Aficionado
I think it would depend on the product. I would feel comfortable buying a grey market thing like an amp with very few moving parts or a dac but less comfortable with something like a cdp. i decided a while ago not to worry about grey market goods if the opportunity presented itself. So far, touch wood, I have no issues. i guess I am about 50:50 authorised:grey market now. I include buying abroad from a real authorised dealer as grey market btw not some boey guy from NYC.

howie
Old 04-24-2013, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by howiebrou View Post
I think it would depend on the product. I would feel comfortable buying a grey market thing like an amp with very few moving parts or a dac but less comfortable with something like a cdp. i decided a while ago not to worry about grey market goods if the opportunity presented itself. So far, touch wood, I have no issues. i guess I am about 50:50 authorised:grey market now. I include buying abroad from a real authorised dealer as grey market btw not some boey guy from NYC.

howie
+1

If I can score a DP700 for the price of a DP510 then I'm all for it. However, you should take into account the customs and the lack of warranty or any repair for that matter.

Accuphase refuses to sell parts for products sold outside of their original country. If your CDP is DOA then you just threw your money in the bin.

I've done it for the add-on cards (no voltage issue) and I've saved a lot of money that way (I got both cards for the price of one). I could have been less fortunate too.
Old 04-24-2013, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by howiebrou View Post

howie
For me, I won't buy a gray market Accuphase. I'm just concerned about long term repairs (even if they rarely need them). It might be hard for a third party technician to get technical assistance and parts from Accuphase. I agree this is more risky with CDPs.

As for retail prices, I think they are out of control. I was dead set on an Accuphase CDP and was OK with purchasing a demo unit from a retailer. However, I think Accuphase's price on SACD players is just way too high (new or demo). For the price of one of their entry level redbook players, you are almost to the MSRP of an Esoteric K-03.

I went with the K-03 and am very happy with the decision.