AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 05-16-2017, 07:36 PM

Location: Lago Vista Texas Downtown Austin and Frisco Colorado

What is this McIntosh: other extreme, in the form of a fung, which is in a simple volume control on digital
A DAC or a preamplifier? The question of which device unit the D1100 belongs to is answered by the famous New York tradition factory with a decided "both as well as". But we would like to quietly contradict ...
Digital / analog converters with one or more digital interfaces, ie inputs, are almost an old hat, which has now undergone numerous variations: such as those offered as a portable, compact headphone amplifier. Or that
Powerful, "stand-alone" high-end DACs. For a long time - that was before the headphone DACs - you saw the D / A converter as a stand-alone device, almost as a link between a digital source and a purely analogue preamp or full amplifier.
Of course, this has changed radically because, for example, a fully digital chain is no longer a rarity until just before the loudspeaker outputs. The DAC made and makes all these changes in a changing form, right down to its quasi-abduction.
Option on the connector panel of a full amplifier.
The computer as a source also gave the DAC a further, now unimaginable input in the form of the USB socket, which is still the only interface for digital audio formats outside the PCM spectrum.
In the further evolution of the transducers, the idea of ​​installing a level meter was quite obvious, many of the already required integrated blocks offer one
Level inherently. However, this often results in a reduced resolution, as well as in the most manageable driver capabilities, if only the standard outputs of the conventional converter chips are used. Thus, a small DAC could also slip into a large gap: namely, the one that a mature preamplifier had left behind.
Due to the simple shortening of the signal path, the sound result is not very impressive when the loads to be driven are unpretentious and high-ohm. Are here-To long cables, power amplifiers with 1-kilohm inputs or parallel connected loads, such as subwoofers, in the game, the thing can be quite different despite the computationally still half-fitting impedance ratios. Note: Powerful output driver stages are the A and O of a good preamplifier.
DAC with driver levels
And that brings us ultimately to the McIntosh D1100. This systematically implements the conceptual ideas to a hybrid, the purely digital "DAC preamplifier". He
Marries a D / A converter unit in the purest high-end quality with very powerful output stages and combines a high-quality level controller on an analogue level; A technique which, when it comes to good sound, is now very frequently used, in order not to lose any solu- tion.
McIntosh combines this interpretation with the utmost consequence: there are no analog inputs, basta. This becomes understandable at the latest when we come across the American proposals for combina- tion:
The C1100 tube preamplifier could be used to assemble a three-part dream preamplifier, in which the D1100 DAC is also taken up by the operating system of its analogue game partner. Incidentally, only a few manufacturers are as good as McIntosh to the seamless integration of all devices of an installation with one and the same user interface.
The unmistakable-looking noble amplifiers are also unbeatable, by the way, in terms of help for the user, but they are always there
Large-format wiring diagrams; Even absolute newcomers in the matter get their McIntosh guaran- teed correctly. Exemplary!
But back to the D1100, which can boast above an impressive phalanx of various digital inputs with analog outputs that are available in three analogue outputs. The XLR jacks, which are assigned to each unbalanced output, are evidence that one works with full-balanced amplifier stages starting at the wall junction. And since the current /Which are already phase-separated behind the actual converter chip, can only be used here in the form of a multiple DAC.
This is also the case because, according to McIntosh's best converter technology, which has ever been used in the home, a brand-new 32-bit eight-channel converter chip, which is used here per channel in the "quad-balanced mode", is used Therefore the best prerequisites for true fully symmetrical operation. This also allows HD operation at the PCM level via the standard S / PDIF digital inputs, with the maximum resolution at 24 bits and a sampling frequency of 192 kHz.
Via USB, the D1100 finally accepts the current DSD and DXD sound formats, including DSD 128 and DXD with 384 kilohertz. A McIntosh's own specialty is a socket marked "MCT", which is connected to the digital connection to the
SACD / CD drive MCT 450, which can pass DSD 64 from the SACD copy-protected to the D1100.
Variable and x
With its three outputs, which can also be switched individually, the McIntosh offers plenty of connectivity options. If the fixed level output is used, the D1100 is used as a DAC to a preamp or a full amplifier, but the two other, regulated outputs are used, the exible device represents a preamplifier with potent driver stages.
In both cases, the two blue backlit pointers work with an anachronism, but one with incomparable charm. And there, of course, the D1100 turns on to the pure joy, which one can just hold of rather "black-box" HiFi components less.
This typical McIntosh feel has nothing to do with his fascination over the years
lost. This also applies to the good old rotary knobs, which are functionally and haptically superior to any touchpanel and the usual tip buttons.
A very important feature at McIntosh is undoubtedly its large, also in blue display behind the front glass plate. Both the volume as well as the data format are readable over a large distance, thus proving once again that the US designers have done their homework assignments. The fact that the basic and heavy chassis - at McIntosh, so to say, two such housings, which still originate from the Röhre era - sit on each other - gives the impression that it would arise in one Panzerfabrik, is mentioned here only on the margins.
Deep and full-bodied
In terms of sound, the D1100 is likely to be a great surprise even for some McIntosh experts. It almost seems as if the designers had done the trick to distill practically all the well-known soundtracks of the American traditions brand into their purest essence. This means - among other things - a rich, powerful and deep black bass and root sound fundament, which could be attested without a bad conscience to have a touch of too much bacon on the hips. But it sounds so incredibly sexy, especially since the preamplifier is by no means behaved or even go to the work.
The fact that these bulging roundings do not cover either delicate melts or a bell-free, in no way enhanced high-frequency spectrum is then
Already the next surprise. For this fulminant, voluminous and, yes, self-conscious sound still does neither unbalanced nor one-sided "hard", but rather more springy, squeaky and directing directly.
A deep black, deep background with a far distant horizon, which possibly results from an excellent interference-free voltage and low-noise noise, is likely to contribute to this. The metrological view confirms to the McIntosh newcomer exceptionally good data, which "underline" the sound impression.
To the enthusiasm of its listeners, the digital preamplifier can also offer an extremely large, orderly sound picture, which with a striking width offers a wide stage well beyond the loudspeaker distance. The American does not make his musical brush strokes too far or even diffuse
To the rear, but preserves immediacy, presence and virtually tangible, filled with vibrating energy.
At the very latest, the proverbially serious suspicion in the room is that McIn- tosh might have set the bar higher with this new device than the potential competitors from his own product range might be fond of. For us it is certainly true: this is the best McIntosh we have ever had before our eyes.
Highly recommended and fantastic
This also means that the new converter technology used here seems suspicious. The D1100 is the sound surprise even with "simple" 16-bit / 44-kHz data, which is probably the best news to the newcomer. This is highly recommended as a pure DAC and as a preamplifier simply fantastic.
Old 05-16-2017, 07:43 PM

At the very latest, the proverbially serious suspicion in the room is that McIn- tosh might have set the bar higher with this new device than the potential competitors from his own product range might be fond of. For us it is certainly true: this is the best McIntosh we have ever had before our eyes.
Old 05-30-2017, 11:49 PM

The Mcintosh Digital Preamplifier Preview

http://hometheaterhifi.com/news/prod...ifier-preview/

Last edited by JBT; 05-30-2017 at 11:53 PM.
Old 06-22-2017, 08:00 AM

Anybody pop for this yet? I am thinking of adding it to my c1100/601's combo
Old 06-22-2017, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey_corleone View Post
Anybody pop for this yet? I am thinking of adding it to my c1100/601's combo

Yup, it's awesome just understand your c1100 has to have firmware 2.04 to control the d1100 was a bit of a issue for me. But did get worked out. I love my c1100,d1100, mc 2301. Combo Very happy
Old 06-23-2017, 06:34 AM

I asked a local dealer about the D1100 DAC compared to C52 DAC. They got answer from McIntosh. D1100 DAC is better. It's fully balanced, dual mono, more clarity, more details and better stereo image. McIntosh recommends using MCT (DIN) with MCT450, if connected to D1100. It would be interesting to hear how much difference really is between the D1100 DAC and the C52 DAC.
Old 07-10-2017, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardallred View Post
Yup, it's awesome just understand your c1100 has to have firmware 2.04 to control the d1100 was a bit of a issue for me. But did get worked out. I love my c1100,d1100, mc 2301. Combo Very happy
I wonder if the C1100s being built now are included with the firmware 2.04?
Old 10-26-2017, 10:39 PM

Proud new owner of the D1100. Since joining up at AA, my system has grown from the c47 to the c2600 now to the D1100-C1100 combo All within a year LOL.

Not much info around but anyone here know if the D1100 will be able to use MQA? From just reading some other threads, McIntosh not the greatest at updates.

I'm doubting they will be able to do this.
Old 10-26-2017, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timobi View Post
Proud new owner of the D1100. Since joining up at AA, my system has grown from the c47 to the c2600 now to the D1100-C1100 combo All within a year LOL.

Not much info around but anyone here know if the D1100 will be able to use MQA? From just reading some other threads, McIntosh not the greatest at updates.

I'm doubting they will be able to do this.
I think it is just a question of paying MQA royalty fees. My $95 Audioquest DragonFly DAC became MQA enabled with a simple software update NOT hardware...
Old 10-27-2017, 10:23 AM

Timobi - congratulations on your new C1100/D1100 combo.

If you are looking to play MQA files, not all is lost. There are music streamers out there that are now MQA-certified and can perform the "first unfold" for you. This results in a higher resolution file (to a maximum of 96khz/24bit) that is sent to your D1100 DAC for decoding. I have had great sonic results using this approach through the Tidal Hifi streaming service. Tidal seems to have doubled down on their support of MQA files, with new MQA Masters albums coming out on a regular basis.