AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Shunyata Research

Shunyata Research Designing Silent Systems for recording, film and music

Old 11-04-2014, 02:37 PM

Hi Caelin,

I can't wait for The new Sigma cables to come to Europe, The Netherlands especially.

The Sigma HC will be too expensive for me so i'm wondering what cable is best as alternative for two applications.

1, Between the wall and a Hydra AV?
I was thinking of a Sigma Analog, an Alpha HC or an used Anaconda Zitron?

2, My Audio Research power amp, DS450, which is a class D switching amp.
Same choice here; Sigma Analog, an Alpha HC or an used Anaconda Zitron?

Could you advice me what cable would be best for those two applications?
And also what the difference will be in soundquality? (speed, timbre, transparency, dynamics and color)

Currently i have a Python Zitron on my ARC Ref 3 pre-amp and a Sigma Digital on order for my CD-player.
I have one dedicated powerline.

Thanks for your time and great products.

Sander

Last edited by sander; 11-04-2014 at 02:41 PM.
Old 11-04-2014, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sander View Post
Hi Caelin, I can't wait for The new Sigma cables to come to Europe, The Netherlands especially. The Sigma HC will be too expensive for me so i'm wondering what cable is best as alternative for two applications. 1, Between the wall and a Hydra AV? I was thinking of a Sigma Analog, an Alpha HC or an used Anaconda Zitron? 2, My Audio Research power amp, DS450, which is a class D switching amp. Same choice here; Sigma Analog, an Alpha HC or an used Anaconda Zitron? Could you advice me what cable would be best for those two applications? And also what the difference will be in soundquality? (speed, timbre, transparency, dynamics and color) Currently i have a Python Zitron on my ARC Ref 3 pre-amp and a Sigma Digital on order for my CD-player. I have one dedicated powerline. Thanks for your time and great products. Sander
What cable do currently use on the Hydra AV?

Are you running the DS450 into the AV or to the wall? I had this amp and then upgraded to the mono versions. Very nice amps for the modest cost.
Old 11-04-2014, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGabriel View Post
What cable do currently use on the Hydra AV? Are you running the DS450 into the AV or to the wall? I had this amp and then upgraded to the mono versions. Very nice amps for the modest cost.
I currently use a PS Audio Statement SC on the Hydra AV. And a PS Audio Premier SC on the amp. I have the DS450 connected to the wall.
Old 11-04-2014, 08:49 PM

Quote:
I currently use a PS Audio Statement SC on the Hydra AV. And a PS Audio Premier SC on the amp. I have the DS450 connected to the wall.
HYDRA to wall: ALPHA HC

DS450: ALPHA HC

For the ARC preamp: SIGMA Analog if and when you save the money. Or the ALPHA HC would also be a significant upgrade from the Python at $1k less.
Old 11-04-2014, 09:00 PM

Quote:
HYDRA to wall: ALPHA HC DS450: ALPHA HC For the ARC preamp: SIGMA Analog if and when you save the money. Or the ALPHA HC would also be a significant upgrade from the Python at $1k less.
Thank you Caelin,
Would that mean that an Alpha HC will still outperform a Sigma Analog on high current applications such as a distributor or power amp? Is it that good? Better than an Anaconda Zitron? I'd never expected that.

Could you explain a bit more why you still recommend a 10 gauge Alpha HC against a 8 gauge VTX Analog Sigma? Or a 7 gauge VTX Anaconda? I'm so suprised!

Last edited by sander; 11-04-2014 at 09:49 PM.
Old 11-04-2014, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Thank you Caelin, Would that mean that an Alpha HC will still outperform a Sigma Analog on high current applications such as a distributor or power amp? Is it that good? Better than an Anaconda Zitron? I'd never expected that. Could you explain a bit more why you still recommend a 10 gauge Alpha HC against a 8 gauge VTX Analog Sigma? Or a 7 gauge VTX Anaconda? I'm so suprised!
Yes, the ALPHA HC is that good.

During it's development, the prototypes were modeled to exceed the performance of the Anaconda cable. We designed it to be the best power cord on he market at the time and to price it based upon it's cost of production and not it's performance relative to the competition. If we priced it based upon performance it would have been in the $3k range. The ALPHA HC has handily outperformed many cables in the 3-10k range. Reviews from several of the top reviewers will be released in the coming months.

The Sigma Analog may outperform the ALPHA HC on some low to medium power amplifiers due to it's superior VTX geometry. However, on a power conditioner or very high power amplifier you will need to go to the SIGMA HC to exceed the ALPHA HC's performance on these type of components.

The ALPHA HC has dual 10 gauge conductors for an aggregate 7 gauge. Gauge is not the only and not even the most important power cord parameter but in truly high current applications it cannot be overlooked. Additionally, it has dual hybrid ΞTRON™ noise reduction capabilities (measurable) that our prior power cables do not have.

It is not a cheap power cord by any means but it is probably the best value for a high performance power cord. You won't be disappointed.
Old 11-05-2014, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Yes, the ALPHA HC is that good. During it's development, the prototypes were modeled to exceed the performance of the Anaconda cable. We designed it to be the best power cord on he market at the time and to price it based upon it's cost of production and not it's performance relative to the competition. If we priced it based upon performance it would have been in the $3k range. The ALPHA HC has handily outperformed many cables in the 3-10k range. Reviews from several of the top reviewers will be released in the coming months. The Sigma Analog may outperform the ALPHA HC on some low to medium power amplifiers due to it's superior VTX geometry. However, on a power conditioner or very high power amplifier you will need to go to the SIGMA HC to exceed the ALPHA HC's performance on these type of components. The ALPHA HC has dual 10 gauge conductors for an aggregate 7 gauge. Gauge is not the only and not even the most important power cord parameter but in truly high current applications it cannot be overlooked. Additionally, it has dual hybrid ΞTRON™ noise reduction capabilities (measurable) that our prior power cables do not have. It is not a cheap power cord by any means but it is probably the best value for a high performance power cord. You won't be disappointed.
Hi Caelin,
I will need your advice again please. I been usung a Krell FPB 600c power amp with Anaconda Ztron with tremendous results, recently bought new amps Krell Evolution 400e mono. What should I do?
1- Buy 2 Alpha hc
2- Keep Anaconda Ztron and buy another one.

Near in the future, if I buy a Triton, would you put an Anaconda or an Alpha Hc? (Only have plugged Puccini CdP, Puccini Clock and a Mac Mini)

Thank you very much for your help!

Best regards

Martin

? in the future, if buy a

Much appreciate for your help!

Martin
Old 11-05-2014, 11:26 PM

Interesting thread
Old 11-06-2014, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinibeck View Post
Hi Caelin, I will need your advice again please. I been usung a Krell FPB 600c power amp with Anaconda Ztron with tremendous results, recently bought new amps Krell Evolution 400e mono. What should I do? 1- Buy 2 Alpha hc 2- Keep Anaconda Ztron and buy another one. Near in the future, if I buy a Triton, would you put an Anaconda or an Alpha Hc? (Only have plugged Puccini CdP, Puccini Clock and a Mac Mini) Thank you very much for your help! Best regards Martin ? in the future, if buy a Much appreciate for your help! Martin
To give you a useful answer I would need to know more about your system and your plans for your system and what you have for a budget.

The Anaconda is an exceptionally good cable for Krell amps. Since you already have one, if you could get a good deal on another one, that's the way I would go.

You didn't mention a preamp so I am assuming you don't have one?

For a computer based, digital system like yours, the HYDRA DPC-6 would be the best leap forward in sound quality. Read the Audio Stream review linked on our website.
Old 11-06-2014, 09:45 AM

Quote:
To give you a useful answer I would need to know more about your system and your plans for your system and what you have for a budget. The Anaconda is an exceptionally good cable for Krell amps. Since you already have one, if you could get a good deal on another one, that's the way I would go. You didn't mention a preamp so I am assuming you don't have one? For a computer based, digital system like yours, the HYDRA DPC-6 would be the best leap forward in sound quality. Read the Audio Stream review linked on our website.
Hi Caelin,
My system consist in:
dCS Puccini w/ clock (alpha digital/B. Mamba cx)
Krell FPB 600c ( evo 400e arriving tomorrow) ztron Anaconda 19
Wilson Audio Sophia 2
Mac Mini
Transparent reference isolator, reference sc, reference intertc, reference bnc. Connecting the dCS Puccini direct to the amp.
Krell amp direct to the wall, the rest of the system to the transparent.

Here in Argentina, a good price for the Anaconda is 3000.- a lot! Thats why I ask you for the Alpha Hc, if a can get a better performance with less dollars to spend. would be great. But if the Anaconda tend to work best with krell, I will take your advice and buy another.

I alternate using Mac mini and cd/sacd, no only computer based.

Hope this help! Thanks!