AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Conrad-Johnson

Conrad-Johnson It just sounds right

Old 11-30-2011, 03:50 AM

Wink Questions about McCormack DNA-750 Monoblocks ....

Does conrad johnson still own McCormack? I know they bought them probably 4+ years ago. Any chance CJ could mod a DNA-750 to be more like a Premier 350? Anyone listen to the DNA-750?
Old 11-30-2011, 04:39 AM

Joe

I have been interested in them for a while now, however it seems that not many people own them ?

Just go out an buy the monoblocks. You can then tell us all how they sound. After all you have a pretty good reference SS amp to compare it with Do it for the greater good of AA

$4995pr from Spearit sound and free shipping within the USA.
Old 11-30-2011, 04:42 AM

Shane,

They seem downright cheap, err inexpensive. Hmmmm. How bad could they be? I am sure they are pretty decent and probably a steal for the money.

Joe

Almost $5K seems like a rounding error to me
Old 11-30-2011, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
Shane,

They seem downright cheap, err inexpensive. Hmmmm. How bad could they be? I am sure they are pretty decent and probably a steal for the money.

Joe

Almost $5K seems like a rounding error to me
They retail for 10k Joe. Now that Searit is the North American distributor - that probably means no more retail presence for McCormack and you buy direct from Spearit. I would say Spearit may have got all the remaining cj stock and are selling it.

I could be wrong, but I assume after the inventory has been sold, no more McCormack ? If I am wrong, please correct me.

Even your Burmester amps probably only cost several thousand to make. After all the distributor buys for around 50% off retail.

Anyway, the time is right to test the waters so hopefully we can all get onto this action before it is too late. Have I sold you yet Joe ?
Old 11-30-2011, 08:08 AM
Against the Tide

Did own the DNA 0.5 Deluxe for a year or so. Nice sounding amp. Not sure that the DNA 750 (even discounted) would be a great investment for turn-a-round.

For a SS amp that sounds as good as any Tube amp, demo the ModWright KWA 100SE. The only amp that I've owned that I regret selling.
Old 11-30-2011, 11:08 AM

Shane,

I think you are correct about the amps and pricing. A dealer I talked to liked them and recommended the 750's. They keep popping up when I start searching around. I'd like to hear them but not enough to buy them. Sigh, too bad

Brian,

Thank you. I should have snapped up the KWA from you just for fun. I am still intrigued by the ModWright gear. All the reviews have been really good, that may be something to consider. You always come up with great ideas and info. I like that and appreciate it very much!

Joe
Old 11-30-2011, 11:50 AM
That's a Deusy !

When you buy the Amps you can get them serviced from McCormak himself he also mods previous models to bring them up a notch.

http://www.smcaudio.com/
Marantz( UD8004,AV8802a ), Oppo udp 203 JLAudio Fathom F-110, B&W( 802 series III , FCMS8, SCMS8) . WireWorld Eclipse 6 xlr(7) Sliver Eclipse 5.2 HDMI (3) electra 5.2 powercords . HRS Nimbus , lg 55 Oled Nvidia Shield PS Audio PPP

System 2 Panasonic G25 Marantz av8003
Old 11-30-2011, 11:55 AM
Cool, calm scientist

McCormack makes excellent amps. They were bought by C-J some years ago (more than four, IIRC) and all the manufacturing is done by C-J in Virigina. Design is still done by Steve.

I've heard one of their preamps and one of their stereo amps and both were excellent. A lot like SS C-J gear in sound quality.

The DNA-750 are supposed to be a killer pair of monoblocks from what I've heard. Dan Babineau of Running Springs used to use a pair as his reference.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 11-30-2011, 12:00 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by turntable View Post
They retail for 10k Joe. Now that Searit is the North American distributor - that probably means no more retail presence for McCormack and you buy direct from Spearit. I would say Spearit may have got all the remaining cj stock and are selling it.
Shane, not sure about that as my local dealer carries McCormack; they also carry C-J.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 11-30-2011, 12:20 PM

Joe.......year befor last I did the California Audio show with steve in the Lotus group room featuring his VRE-1 preamp and discussed the direction he was going in and he mentioned Conrad Johnson had interest in the circuit design so he sold it to them.....he also mentioned he would still continue doing mods to his amps and refining the VRE-1 which now is the VRE-1B.....