AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 09-11-2016, 11:55 AM

If the display only flickers on a certain input, I wouldn't lean towards an actual problem w/the display itself. If the display had an issue, why wouldn't it flicker all the time?
Old 09-11-2016, 06:12 PM

Ok...I tried a very nice audioquest optical cable on the C50 from my NAD CD player and the Pure iPod doc. I still have the 44.1k flickering. The USB display does not flicker from my Windows 10 laptop....which I really don't understand the USB......All my music playing off the laptop displays 32/192 on the C50.....even when nothing is playing. If I change the settings on the laptop McIntosh control panel....it plays in slow motion. I don't know how the USB is supposed to work......maybe I'll start another thread for that. I'm not happy about the flicker at the moment.
Old 09-11-2016, 06:42 PM

Sorry to hear the new cable didn't resolve the problem. My only other suggestions would be to try resetting the C50 microprocessor and if that doesn't solve the issue, to contact McIntosh directly to see what input they may have.
Old 09-11-2016, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by salamander View Post
Sorry to hear the new cable didn't resolve the problem. My only other suggestions would be to try resetting the C50 microprocessor and if that doesn't solve the issue, to contact McIntosh directly to see what input they may have.
Thanks for your support....I sent McIntosh an email today as well as my dealer. I'll probably call too. I reset the microprocessors a few times.
Is the USB display supposed to show 32/192 all the time....even when nothing is playing? It never changes no matter what I'm playing from my laptop.
Old 09-11-2016, 06:52 PM

Not sure about that. I haven't used the USB input on mine. McIntosh should be able to give you an answer on that. You mentioned you've tried resetting the microprocessor. I believe a hard reset that essentially restores the C50 to factory default settings (setup and trim settings) is also described in its manual.
Old 09-11-2016, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by salamander View Post
Not sure about that. I haven't used the USB input on mine. McIntosh should be able to give you an answer on that. You mentioned you've tried resetting the microprocessor. I believe a hard reset that essentially restores the C50 to factory default settings (setup and trim settings) is also described in its manual.
Yes...I did that too.
Old 09-14-2016, 07:17 PM

Spoke with Chuck Hinton via email exchanges the other day. He ultimately responded by saying that if it's playing ok...then don't worry about the display flickering.
Old 09-18-2016, 09:41 PM

If you have to sit and stare at it to notice it I wouldn't worry about it. Clearly the display isn't bad as I mentioned earlier or it would always be flickering. It's probably software related.

The power LED on my C2300 is off center and therefore dimmer than all my other Mc power LEDs but it is what it is. I don't stare at the power LED while listening so it's not a big deal to me and I'm pretty anal about these sorts of things.
Old 09-19-2016, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maks View Post
If you have to sit and stare at it to notice it I wouldn't worry about it. Clearly the display isn't bad as I mentioned earlier or it would always be flickering. It's probably software related.

The power LED on my C2300 is off center and therefore dimmer than all my other Mc power LEDs but it is what it is. I don't stare at the power LED while listening so it's not a big deal to me and I'm pretty anal about these sorts of things.
That's what I'm thinking....Its probably software related somehow
Old 05-13-2017, 04:33 PM

Just revisiting my old thread and wondering if anyone else has observed the Digital Information Display "44.1k" random flickering on any of their McIntosh preamps....or am I the only one.

I'm still waiting to get authorization from the Customer Service Manager at McIntosh to send it to the factory since November 2016. Only thing is he advised not to ship it until he gets my defective replacement C50 glass made and that's been since August 2016. They sent me a new little Digital Audio PCB to pop in...but that didn't stop the 44.1k from flickering. Anyone else notice this display flickering irregularity?

I contact the McIntosh Manager very courteously and gingerly every few months for an update, but very slowwww to reply with no actions yet.

Last edited by denniswilson; 05-13-2017 at 04:40 PM.