AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > GIK Acoustics

GIK Acoustics Bringing Your Sound To Life

Old 07-10-2013, 05:39 PM

Default What are performance differences due to thickness

What are the differences sonically between panels that are 2, 4, and 6 inchs thick? what frequencies are most affected? I have 10 GIK panels but only use 6. I found that after i treated my room I had over done it and took some panels out. Is this a common learning curve process? My current GIK's work very well and make a real poor room with slap echo into a pretty good room. GIK service was great btw.
Old 07-10-2013, 07:37 PM

Ray
My GIK panels are 2 inches and I have not listened to ones that were thicker ( 4 or 6). I placed mine for the combination of sound quality and aesthetics. I have not played them since the day I hung them. Maybe I could get better sonics but I am very happy with the current set-up.

Last edited by Still-One; 07-11-2013 at 07:50 AM.
Old 07-11-2013, 12:26 AM

Hi there,
The thicker the panel, the deeper frequencies that get absorbed. The high frequency absorption properties of each of the 242, 244, and Monster traps are all identical. We don't have testing on our 242 Acoustic Panel as the properties of a 3.5" absorber are not disputed often at all. Typically, the 242 panels are used for general reflections and reverb reduction in the room, but they should not be used to treat modal/bass problems under about 250 Hz or so. The 244s and Monster traps however have both been tested (results on our websites under the Test Results tab for each product). The 244s perform well down to about 125 Hz flat on a wall and the Monsters go down below that effectively (down to about 90 Hz or so). In the corner both traps absorb down to 80 Hz efficiently, with the Monster traps just being more effective.
Often times, especially to someone not used to being in treated rooms, just a few panels will make a HUGE difference sonically. Often times, we recommend diffusion instead of absorption if the room is right, or we suggest something like the Scatter Plate built into the traps to prevent rooms from becoming too "dead" with the use of absorption. The Scatter Plate is built into our panels to scatter/reflect/redirect the high frequencies while letting the low frequencies pass through to be absorbed, leaving you with a room that has controlled lows and lets your dynamic speakers breath, while still letting the speakers' soundstage permeate the room.
Feel free to send me an e-mail (alex.r@gikacoustics.com) and we might be able to find better locations for some of your extra panels so that we can get some use out of them in your room without deadening it too much. Or, you could always resell the panels as well - we typically see people selling second hand products for ~70% of retail price. Our customer service extends to second-hand customers, so you can send any buyers our way to figure out where to place things in their rooms as well.
GIK Acoustics Europe | +44 (0) 20 7558 8976 (UK)
Old 07-11-2013, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still-One View Post
Ray
My GIK panels are 2 inches and I have not listened to ones that were thicker ( 4 or 6). I placed mine for the combination of sound quality and aesthetics. I have not played them since the day I hung them. Maybe I could get better sonics but I am very happy with the current set-up.
Jim,
Just from the picture of your room i can tell it is very different to mine. I had very bad slap echo before placing traps on the side walls. This is now gone. I had bought some 4 and 6 inch thick traps and found that i had overdone it. I pulled the 6s and now use 4s which made the room a little brighter/less dead. As i break in my cj/sophia based rig its center of gravity sound wise seems to be in the mid upper bass area. i would like to encrease the density of high mids and upwards. My 3 possible solutions: sub kt 120s for 6550s. In the pr 12 kt 120s had less bass hump and stronger highs. #2- go to all 2 inch thick GIK's. #3 Replace sophia 1 with another Wilson with better treble performance (the most expensive option)
My panels are hung on picture hooks so they are easy to remove etc. It is interesting to me that it took me a while to hear that i had put too much absorption in.
Jim I also wonder what the differences are between enclosed listening rooms and ones that are open to other rooms as mine is in back of my listening position. I think the sound & pressure must act very differently .
Old 07-11-2013, 12:45 PM

I use a number of 242 panels and a couple of Monster Bass Traps. The speakers are Dunlavy SCIV (extremely directional) and the system sits smack in the middle of the house. The room is open on one side. There are only two real corners. The construction is relatively loose and the starting sound was live. Very live. Due to speaker positioning and design, I didn't need to treat first reflection points, so I worked on the sound of the room. FWIW, I did try treating those areas and the effect was minimal in my setup. The Monster Bass Traps, which I might say look fantastic in the optional purple fabric, effectively removed a hump at ~150Hz. The 242 panels made a live room MUCH more neutral. The diffuser panel option, I think, is a terrific idea. I'm desperately trying to find a spot where I can use one.
Old 07-11-2013, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaffer View Post
I use a number of 242 panels and a couple of Monster Bass Traps. The speakers are Dunlavy SCIV (extremely directional) and the system sits smack in the middle of the house. The room is open on one side. There are only two real corners. The construction is relatively loose and the starting sound was live. Very live. Due to speaker positioning and design, I didn't need to treat first reflection points, so I worked on the sound of the room. FWIW, I did try treating those areas and the effect was minimal in my setup. The Monster Bass Traps, which I might say look fantastic in the optional purple fabric, effectively removed a hump at ~150Hz. The 242 panels made a live room MUCH more neutral. The diffuser panel option, I think, is a terrific idea. I'm desperately trying to find a spot where I can use one.
I have two Gik diffusers and tried them at the first reflection point and they pulled the sounding towards the side walls. Maybe the reason it did not work is my room is 13 feet wide which may be too narrow. If you find a good diffuser spot please let me know along with your room measurements.Your room is very similar to mine.

Last edited by rlw3; 07-11-2013 at 09:58 PM.