AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Inspire by Dennis Had

Inspire by Dennis Had Enjoying Vacuum Tube Audio

Old 05-06-2017, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musica Amantem View Post
Dennis' new prototype amp, built from another organ chassis, running KT-77s wired in strapped SET

Now, that must be the Bee's Knees: Triode-strapped KT-77 PSE with IIPS and tube voltage regulation ... Best of the best in my book! As I posted a while ago, I was wondering about something like this ... It happened Just add in a pair of High Pass Filters for the really low frequencies, one or two good SUBs, and a decent pair of high-sensitive speakers, and this rig will shine without reasonable competition. Much more affordable to maintain than the gorgeous PSE 45 SET.

Did you guys listened to it Thursday? Any particular observations?
The circuits have a lot in common, but the bottom line is that they allow the real nature of the tubes to shine through. The PSE SEP amp is the most powerful and the most dynamic sounding. The 45 PSE is the most fluid, smooth and rich sounding. The PSE SEP/T was somewhere in between.
Old 05-06-2017, 11:47 PM

I think I would prefer a PSE SEP amp running KT120 or KT88. Would like to audition KT150. Something with at least 25 wpc, perhaps a bit more. Wouldn't mind SS rectification, as I really don't hear many advantages from tube rectification. Using 6SN7 driver tubes or 6DJ8, as I have some excellent 6922 & 7308 tubes. So maybe I would lean to 6DJ8.

I think such an amp would sound great in my setup. With strong bass & definition, dynamic, and with excellent imagining and soundstage. Then maybe drop in some KT77 or KT66 for playing blues & jazz w/female vocals.
Old 05-06-2017, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analog Addict View Post
The circuits have a lot in common, but the bottom line is that they allow the real nature of the tubes to shine through. The PSE SEP amp is the most powerful and the most dynamic sounding. The 45 PSE is the most fluid, smooth and rich sounding. The PSE SEP/T was somewhere in between.
That is what I would expect. Best tradeoff. Thanks!

Last edited by Musica Amantem; 05-07-2017 at 02:20 AM.
Old 05-07-2017, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musica Amantem View Post
Dennis' new prototype amp, built from another organ chassis, running KT-77s wired in strapped SET

Now, that must be the Bee's Knees: Triode-strapped KT-77 PSE with IIPS and tube voltage regulation ... Best of the best in my book! As I posted a while ago, I was wondering about something like this ... It happened Just add in a pair of High Pass Filters for the really low frequencies, one or two good SUBs, and a decent pair of high-sensitive speakers, and this rig will shine without reasonable competition. Much more affordable to maintain than the gorgeous PSE 45 SET.

Did you guys listened to it Thursday? Any particular observations?
There you go again....that wandering eye.
Old 05-07-2017, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analog Addict View Post
Having heard basically the same circuit/topography across 3 different output tube options, SEP, triode strapped SEP, and SET did the speaker/driver control that we have seen from the PSE persist? Really just a change in character based off output tube configuration?
Old 05-07-2017, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaBoy View Post
There you go again....that wandering eye.
I just can't help it. I had asked if something like this would be considered down the road and there you go ... I think in paper it is the best of both worlds, but I'm still very happy with my setup, as I really don't need more dynamics or power to enjoy my jazz in SET/Triode with, say, KT-77's ... unless I listen to it and discover otherwise. OTOH, the irony of the IIPS is you need to go close to clipping to enjoy its advantages while the PSE already offers plenty more power. I believe the IIPS would be more useful to someone running SEP or SET and too large a room or less sensitive speakers, neither of which apply in my case.

Last edited by Musica Amantem; 05-07-2017 at 10:16 AM.
Old 05-07-2017, 10:53 AM

I don't know what you would gain with you speakers. I shouldn't say anything. I got a pair of Tungsram 6L6GA's yesterday.
Old 05-07-2017, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoGT3 View Post
Having heard basically the same circuit/topography across 3 different output tube options, SEP, triode strapped SEP, and SET did the speaker/driver control that we have seen from the PSE persist? Really just a change in character based off output tube configuration?
Essentially yes. The 45 PSA amp has the best driver control I've heard in a true triode amp. However, one must remember it is still a 3.5 WPC amp.....
Old 05-07-2017, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaBoy View Post
I don't know what you would gain with you speakers. I shouldn't say anything. I got a pair of Tungsram 6L6GA's yesterday.
Nice! Why NOS and not the 7581-A current production? Lemme know how those work out

Your horn-design speakers accommodate 6L6's and 6V6's much better than mine, except for the 6P3S-E, for some unexplained reason. The latter has barely enough grunt for my preferences and definitely lacks "oomph" in demanding passages, but excels in detailing and transparency. Mostly acoustic, few instruments or nice vocals' music with these.

The KT-77 has all the grunt I need but at the expense of lacking some lower frequencies while projecting the best mid-range in my collection. So, I swap between these two and the 6550 (the latter paired with the 5AR4) depending on the source material.

Last edited by Musica Amantem; 05-07-2017 at 01:08 PM.
Old 05-08-2017, 08:43 AM

Tungsram made great tubes and they were $60 for the pair. I really don't know much about them and they are not often seen for sale.