AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Sonus Faber

Sonus Faber Italy's Best

Old 01-01-2010, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milimetr View Post

Appearance comparison:

I must say that I like the look of old Guarneri, however it does not fit all interiors. As for new Guarneri I did not seen the Palladio finish – so I cannot comment. I have seen Red Violin and Graphite. I must admit that I prefer Graphite finish, however red Violin is also beautiful and more eye-catching in the first look. Red Violin is more room dependent and a little to “carrotisch” to me. There is also too much contrast between red enclosure, black pedestal and light gray base.

Graphite finish is more subtle, less eye-catching and definitely worse looking on all pictures. But in real word if you have black amplifier, black turntable and other black equipment it may fit easier to the whole system. Graphite is also less room interior dependant and for me is more sophisticated. It looks like a black pearl :-)

Exactly how I see it.

Cheers,
George
Old 01-01-2010, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'cisco View Post
I actually prefer the marble bases as they give a contrast to the black columns....they are pretty hefty at that...40-50 lbs each
@ ‘cisco,
I probably would not bother replacing original bases with black ones, but I need option to use spikes with regulated height. Also I already had all my audio rack shelves made of natural stone which is considerably different in color than Guarneri bases. Both stones placed one near to another did not look good. So the changes.

I have checked the weight of original base. Each base weights 35 lbs. Believe me - aluminum bases are even heavier at the same dimensions.

Thanks for comment.

Last edited by Milimetr; 01-01-2010 at 01:33 PM.
Old 01-01-2010, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgard View Post
Cisco,

I see you are using a C220 and MC402 with your GM's. Are you totally pleased with synergy. Your system is pretty much what I am working toward.
mgard....I am totally happy with the synergy that I have now and especially now that I have the GM's I find myself listening more and more to my music and movies now...it's too bad I still have to pay the bills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milimetr View Post
@ ‘cisco,
I probably would not bother replacing original bases with black ones, but I need option to use spikes with regulated height. Also I already had all my audio rack shelves made of natural stone which is considerably different in color than Guarneri bases. Both stones placed one near to another did not look good. So the changes.

I have checked the weight of original base. Each base weights 35 lbs. Believe me - aluminum bases are even heavier at the same dimensions.

Thanks for comment.
Milimetr....thanks for your clarification about your listening environment...much appreciated. Any chance of getting a larger pic of your system?

Speaking of audio racks...I'm still weighing my options on one myself

At 35 lbs it must have felt like 40-50 to me...sorry no scale here
Old 01-01-2010, 03:35 PM
World's Oldest Audiophile

The bases are heavy . . . so heavy, in fact, that I dropped one of mine onto a table. Fortunately the table had a piece of glass over its surface. The glass shattered, one corner of the base chipped off (small chip, but it does bother me.) but the table wasn't hurt - once I cleaned the glass shards and stone chips off of the surface.

The table was one of my wife's favorites, so I count myself very lucky that only the glass and base suffered from my stupidity.

Julian

I have a record player and a cd player and some other stuff that sounds pretty good.

MAIN SYSTEM: . . . Audio Physic Caldera III Loudspeakers, Spectral DMC 30SL Preamp, Spectral DMA 250 Amp, Spectral/MIT interconnects and speaker cable, Basis Debut V Vacuum turntable, Walker Precision Speed Controller, Graham tonearm, [B]Koetsu Rosewood or Grado Statement 1 Cartridges, PASS - X-ono Phono Stage, Esoteric K03 CD/SACD Player, Lexicon RT-20 Universal Player, Exact Power EP-15A & SP-15A power regeneration and conditioning devices. Symposium Acoustics Svelte pads & RollerBlock Jr's under speakers. ASC Tube Traps, Arcici Suspense Rack System, OPPO and Cambridge Streaming Devices.

DOWNSTAIRS SYSTEM: . . . Sonus Faber Guarneri Memento Speakers, JL Audio F112 Sub, McIntosh MA7000 Integrated Amp, McIntosh MVP871 Universal Disc Player, OPPO BDP-105 Blu-Ray Player, VPI Scoutmaster with periphery ring clamp, VPI SDS Motor Drive, Koetsu Pro IV, or Clearaudio Discovery Cartridges, Mark Levinson No. 25s phono stage, Wadia 170i Transport with a Meridian Bitstream 203 DAC, VPI HW-17 Pro Record Cleaning Machine, Five Richard Gray RGPC 400 devices scattered around the two systems, Arcici Suspense Rack System, Discovery Essence and Essential Cables, 14,000 ± LPs .
Old 01-02-2010, 11:29 AM

Milimetr, thank you for your insightful review/comparison of the Homage and Memento. I have future designs on the Guarneri as a upgrade to my Auditors, although I always envisioned the Memento. Your review will be remembered and if I ever find a gem of a pair Homage's for 5k, i believe they will find a new home. I have no idea what $$ 2nd hand Homages run...hopefully 5k or so isnt pie in the sky thinking.

Something I extrapolated from your review is that the best of both worlds would be Homages with a pair of subwoofers.

thanks again for the insight. btw, love the look of your aluminum black base. Hopefully, the sonics of the Homage on the standard base - non tilted stand remain true to the conditions of your test.

cheers,
Jason

Preamp: McIntosh C1100T/C1100C, McIntosh MX180
Amp: McIntosh MC611 (2), MC601 (3), MI254
Digital: McIntosh D1100, McIntosh MCT450, Meridian 808v6, Aurender N20, Aurender ACS10, Oppo 203
Analog: McIntosh MT10, Hana Umami Red
Phono preamp: Simaudio Moon 610LP, 820S
Signal cables: WW Gold Eclipse 7 speaker cables; Shunyata Sigma v2 XLR (2); Sigma v1 XLR (2), Transparent Ref XL (MM2) XLR; WW Silver Eclipse 7 (4)
Digital cables: Shunyata Omega USB, Omega Ethernet, Sigma Ethernet; WW Platinum 7 Coax, AES/EBU
Switch: Innuos PhoenixNet
Power: Audioquest Niagara 7000, Audioquest 5000, Audioquest Dragon, Hurricane PC, Shunyata Alpha HC, AQ NRG Edison outlets, (8) 20 amp dedicated lines, 125 amp subpanel
Speakers: Wilson Sasha DAW, Dynaudio Contour 30, Dynaudio Contour 25C
Subs: REL s/812 (6), REL s/510 (3)
Accessories: HRS M3X2 shelf (MT10), Stillpoints Ultra II v2 w/ bases (21), Ultra SS (12), Mini (12), LPi v1
Sound treaments: Artnovion
Old 08-31-2011, 01:26 PM
Lower Provo River, UT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
If your were so inclined, it would be easy enough to spray a sealer coat on the Momento stone bases, followed with two or three coats of satin black. This would give you a black base with the correct factory angle for the stand, and the correct weight for the speaker's stability and sonics.

The aesthetic of the Vicenza Stone trumps any finish on aluminum, imo. This is a great way to get a black base and maintain the natural textures/surfaces of the base.

The need for rake can be dealt with in a number of ways. Spikes while convenient, are unnecessary. No one needs spikes on any of the Guarneri's.
Old 08-31-2011, 01:31 PM
Chief Toneologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3brow View Post
Milimetr, thank you for your insightful review/comparison of the Homage and Memento. I have future designs on the Guarneri as a upgrade to my Auditors, although I always envisioned the Memento. Your review will be remembered and if I ever find a gem of a pair Homage's for 5k, i believe they will find a new home. I have no idea what $$ 2nd hand Homages run...hopefully 5k or so isnt pie in the sky thinking.

Something I extrapolated from your review is that the best of both worlds would be Homages with a pair of subwoofers.

thanks again for the insight. btw, love the look of your aluminum black base. Hopefully, the sonics of the Homage on the standard base - non tilted stand remain true to the conditions of your test.

cheers,
Jason
Jason, I sold my Homages for $5,800 a few months ago. They were late production model (last year of production) and flawless. So $5K is not pie in the sky and I have a feeling that these speakers, if well kept, will not lose much if any value. I paid $6,200 for mine, kept them for 3+ years and sold them for $5,800: about ~10/month for one of the most beautiful and best sounding speaker in the world - whatta deal!

But they do like power. They sang like birds with the 500W MC501s but I am quite sure that the 10W Shindos would **NOT** have mated well with them.

Alberto

Last edited by Alberto; 08-31-2011 at 01:47 PM. Reason: Mistakenly forgot an all important *NOT* in the last sentences.
Old 08-31-2011, 01:34 PM
Lower Provo River, UT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberto View Post

But they do like power. They sang like birds with the 500W MC501s but I am quite sure that the 10W Shindos would have mated well with them.

Alberto

I don't know about 10w Shindos, but the 25w Shindos are definitely not enough if the Guarneri Evolution (similar impedance curve, sensitivity to Homage) are any indication.

Last edited by metaphacts; 08-31-2011 at 01:36 PM.
Old 08-31-2011, 01:46 PM
Chief Toneologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphacts View Post

I don't know about 10w Shindos, but the 25w Shindos are definitely not enough if the Guarneri Evolution (similar impedance curve, sensitivity to Homage) are any indication.
Ouch. Argh. Sorry, there was a very critical missing NOT in my sentence. I'll fix it ASAP, I'd hate anyone to be mislead.

Alberto
Old 08-31-2011, 01:50 PM
Lower Provo River, UT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberto View Post
Ouch. Argh. Sorry, there was a very critical missing NOT in my sentence. I'll fix it ASAP, I'd hate anyone to be mislead.

Alberto
Don't get me wrong Alberto. I'm looking forward to hearing Guarneri Evolution bi-amped with 2 pair of Corton-Charlemagne. That will likely solve the power problem based on what I heard with one.