AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > B&W Speakers

B&W Speakers Bowers & Wilkins Greatest

Old 05-27-2009, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Why not go with the top dog 800D?
True, but there are about $9000 reasons separating the 802D and the 800D. I will stop at the MC501s, and I'm looking for the similar sweet spot in the 800 line. Of course, the 800D could be the sweet spot.
Old 05-30-2009, 01:12 AM

I have 802D's in a all McIntosh 2 -channel system. System is in my Master bedroom so room dimensions are not ideal. 20' x 30' with 11' ceilings and an attaching 15' x 20' bathroom. Unfortunately I have the speakers playing the short way in the room. Equipment C2200, MVP861, MCD205. MR78,MC1201's.
I had always thought the 802D's were a little light on bass. So I recently added a JL Audio f113 to the mix, thanks Ivan. I first matched phase of the speakers and sub using the Rives II test CD. Then I pulled out the Audio Control RTA for a measurement. I was shocked at what I found. Playing Pink Noise with no effect, the 802D's were 4-6 db low starting at 200Hz. Yes 200Hz.
Anyway, raising the crossover on the JL f113 to its max 130Hz smoothed things out pretty well.
Another supprise was that the "Diamond Tweeter" on the 802D was 2-4db down at 20K. I thought it was suppose to play much higher than that before dropping off. Hey thats what the ad says...

Anyway, you can get a good sound out of the 802D with a little work. If the budget allows, go for the 800D. However MC501's will be a little light weight for them.

And for all the reviews I have read about the 802D being bass heavy. I don't know what they are using as a reference. I have heard them in high-end showroom situations with Mark Levinson 33 mono, room treatments, all the bells and whistles. I alway thought they needed sub. I don't understand how they are considered a full-range speaker.
They are a very accurate speaker but defiantly light on bass output. What can you expect out of two 8" woofers.
In my opinion the reference 800 speaker should include two 12" woofers instead of two 10" woofers. JMO...

Last edited by dpgstereo; 05-30-2009 at 01:17 AM.
Old 05-30-2009, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpgstereo View Post
I have 802D's in a all McIntosh 2 -channel system. System is in my Master bedroom so room dimensions are not ideal. 20' x 30' with 11' ceilings and an attaching 15' x 20' bathroom. Unfortunately I have the speakers playing the short way in the room. Equipment C2200, MVP861, MCD205. MR78,MC1201's.
I had always thought the 802D's were a little light on bass. So I recently added a JL Audio f113 to the mix, thanks Ivan. I first matched phase of the speakers and sub using the Rives II test CD. Then I pulled out the Audio Control RTA for a measurement. I was shocked at what I found. Playing Pink Noise with no effect, the 802D's were 4-6 db low starting at 200Hz. Yes 200Hz.

They are a very accurate speaker but defiantly light on bass output. What can you expect out of two 8" woofers.
In my opinion the reference 800 speaker should include two 12" woofers instead of two 10" woofers. JMO...
I am not sure how you have the speakers positioned but I think you have bass suck-out where they are. There is no way 802d's are down 4-6db at 200hz. Heck even our measurement happy friends at Stereophile list them as only one of the handful of full range speakers they have tested, meaning they have bass extension to 20hz. In their tests the 802d's were flat to 30hz.
Old 05-30-2009, 12:01 PM

Surprised me too. Speakers are about 11' apart, around 30 degrees, toe'd in to listening position (center). One speaker is 3' off rear wall, second (due to shape of room) is 10' off rear wall.
Off the side walls around 5'. Room is actually 21' x 17' with attaching 17' x13' (double door opening) bathroom. Plus an opening behind right speaker (built-in tub) 10' x 8'.
Ceilings are 11'.
Carpet floor, tile in bathroom.
Old 05-30-2009, 11:54 PM

I'm not sure how to respond other than to say that it's hard to believe that a Stereophile Class A speaker would have the problems you are describing unless something else were going on.
Old 05-31-2009, 10:25 PM

All I can say is, you can't always believe what you read. If you listen to a pair in a showroom, you'll see what I mean. B&W does make a fine speaker, IMO. Maybe the 801D may play closer to full range. You are not going to get a full 20Hz from an eight inch speaker.
B&W does a lot of advertising in Stereophile Mag.