AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > D'Agostino Audio

D'Agostino Audio Master Audio Systems

Old 10-13-2015, 10:58 PM

Default D'agostino Momentum Stereo or Theta Prometheus Monoblocks

Hi Guys,

I'm trying to decide between these two amps and was wondering if anyone has directly compared the two. If price was not a consideration which one is better in your opinions. Theta prometheus is class D but based on all the buzz is a special amp. I'm hearing rumors that class D is making a real charge in the high end audio market. D'agostino has obviously been very well received since it was introduced. Need help deciding. I don't have any local dealers and won't be able to listen to these in my system before deciding.

Thanks...
Old 10-15-2015, 06:58 AM

I really like your Electrocompaniet power amp and your speakers-the Alexias.
Your amp supplies plenty of current at low impedances which is essential for proper driving of the Wilsons as I am sure you are aware.
Is there something you feel is missing with your current amp?
I have listened to the D'Agostinos several times and they are very good-no question.
I am just not sure that they are a quantum leap over your current amp.
Old 10-15-2015, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Down Under View Post
I really like your Electrocompaniet power amp and your speakers-the Alexias.
Your amp supplies plenty of current at low impedances which is essential for proper driving of the Wilsons as I am sure you are aware.
Is there something you feel is missing with your current amp?
I have listened to the D'Agostinos several times and they are very good-no question.
I am just not sure that they are a quantum leap over your current amp.
Thanks for your reply....

I like my electro amp. I've liked almost every piece of audio gear I've owned with only a few exceptions. My reason for upgrade is I am starting a second system and I plan to move my electro there since the system is more moderate in price. In that system I actually already have some Electrocompaniet PSF-1 speakers which would pair up nicely with their amp. As a result I am in the market for another amp so I figured I could get something better. It's a hobby for me and I've enjoyed hearing the improvements over the year. Granted I would not consider making a heavy investment if the gains to be had were minimal. But like many things what some people consider subtle others feel are major differences. I'm a critical listener, possibly like many others on these forums. I like to put the lights down at night and play high res tracks and imagine the band or singer in front of me. The electro is a lot of bang for the buck and very musical. I hope that answers your question?
Old 10-17-2015, 10:17 PM

Thanks for your detailed reply.
So you HAVE to buy something!
I notice you have a lot of Theta gear,so obviously the Prometheus should have good synergy.I have not heard the Theta.
Several times I have heard the Alexia's with the D'Agostinos and it is a very good combination.
The tough phase angle and low impedance in the bass region is where a good amplifier makes a difference to the Alexia.You mention that you might have to buy without an audition-you may know that Dan D developed The Momentum using the Sasha as one of his main speakers.
I don't know anyone who dislikes the Momentum Stereo so it is an easy recommendation.
Good luck and let us all know how you get on.
Old 02-09-2016, 09:38 PM
Lifetime audio addict!

I know this thread died awhile ago. I just noticed it. I was fortunate to have the D'Agostino Momentum monoblocks on loan, and then The Theta Prometheus monoblocks back to back. The D'Agostino has the edge in the midrange. It was a bit more "tube like" and a slightly more forward in its stage presentation. Bass response was equal between the two amps. Both were strong and well defined, and powerful in that region. Both amps have detail retrieval capability. Highs were silky smooth on the D'Agostino. I have to add neither amps were "harsh". I could live with either amp. The Theta amps were my choice as I needed to make a system on a budget. I love the Theta amps. If you were two channel only, I would lean towards the D'Agostino if you like tube like mids. The fact that you own Theta already also tells me you would like the Prometheus. The only thing lacking was the tube like midrange. Great mids just a different presentation. The D'Agostino amps run warmer than the Prometheus.
Speakers Wilson Audio Maxx 3
Cables Transparent Reference Gen 5
Equipment rack and amp stands HRS
Power conditioning Transparent
Power outlets GTX-D(G) Gold-Plated duplex receptacles dedicated 20 amp lines.
Old 03-27-2016, 05:06 PM

Default D'agostino wins!

Hi,

I purchased both the D'agostino momentum stereo and Theta Prometheus Amps. I spent a lot of time switching them out over the past months and have decided that the D'agostino is my preference in my system with my cables. I am keeping the Theta's to run my center (Wilson Mezzo) and subwoofer (Wilson Thor's hammer). The Theta prometheus was way better in controlling my sub than my previous Bryston 28BSST2 that I was using... even despite it's 1000 watt rating.

In the end I agree with the last post. The D'agostino was more musical and bit warmer. Not quite as analytical as the Theta. If someone was building a system from scratch I think the Theta Prometheus represents an excellent value in a high end amp. I don't think it pairs very well with Transparent cables. Where as D'agostino, Wilson, and Transparent Audio, seem to have great compatibility and synergy.
Old 02-02-2017, 05:57 AM

Congrats!
Wilson Audio Alexia + Mezzo | Dan D'Agostino Momentum PRE & S250 | Esoteric P02x & D02x | Torus AVR2-16 | Marantz AV8805 | Panasonic UB9000 | Bryston 7B3 & 9BSST2 | ScreenTechnics 125" 2.37 Screen | JVC X7900 | Krix A20 (4) | JL Audio F113 (2)
Old 02-06-2017, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiohippo View Post
Congrats!
Thanks... And now I want Dag monoblocks but have to sell my s200 first...
Old 02-13-2017, 08:34 PM

The S200 to S250 upgrade is $7,500. Well worth it.