AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Sonus Faber

Sonus Faber Italy's Best

Old 07-16-2011, 06:22 AM
A happy little vegemite..

Sorry Dan - didn't mean to offend. Just not my cuppa.

Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.

Berthold Auerbach
Old 07-16-2011, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
Andy.......I am surprised by your comment on the SF Cremona Auditors. I owned a pair before purchasing the Guarneri Memento's, and I thought the Auditor's sounded very good. Admittedly, they rolled off quickly below 60 Hz, so I used a pair of McIntosh XLS112 powered subs with them. I use the same subwoofers with the Memento's, but I added a Bryston 10B active crossover.

My impression of the Cremona Auditors was they were quite musical, and imaged very well while being driven by a mono pair of McIntosh MC275 amps. I sold them when I moved to the Memento's, and certainly not because I was unhappy with them. The SF Guarneri Memento's are in a different league, but the Cremona Auditor's were enjoyable.
+1 Considering their size, the performances of the Cremona auditor M are exceptional and imo more impressive than the floorstanders but they need and love power and perfect set up

l
LP12SE,urika phonostage,radikal power supply, dynavector XV-1s,conrad-johnson GAT and LP275M, Sonus Faber Elipsa,yter/naim/Linn cables, vibex, finite elemente
Old 07-16-2011, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
Philippe.......This is what keeps the audio hobby so interesting. Each and every one of us has an opinion. The weight of our opinions is no more, or no less than the reviewer's opinion. His opinion reaches many through the printed vehicle, and thus may influence others, but the only opinion that matters to me is mine. Love this hobby.
Dan, i agree but M Colloms is not whoever and he has a big audience in Europe especially since his publication is free of any advertising, his criticism of the Amati Anniversario in 2005 ( HiFi News )was really different
it would be interesting to have the opinion of Bill on the question....

l
LP12SE,urika phonostage,radikal power supply, dynavector XV-1s,conrad-johnson GAT and LP275M, Sonus Faber Elipsa,yter/naim/Linn cables, vibex, finite elemente
Old 07-16-2011, 09:13 AM
Lower Provo River, UT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafale View Post
Dan, i agree but M Colloms is not whoever and he has a big audience in Europe especially since his publication is free of any advertising, his criticism of the Amati Anniversario in 2005 ( HiFi News )was really different
it would be interesting to have the opinion of Bill on the question....
Which question: Martin's journalistic independence or the Cremona Auditor?
Old 07-16-2011, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphacts View Post
Which question: Martin's journalistic independence or the Cremona Auditor?
Martin's independance, for me no doubt about the Auditor M excellence

l
Old 07-16-2011, 09:29 AM
World's Oldest Audiophile

Quote:
+1 Considering their size, the performances of the Cremona auditor M are exceptional and imo more impressive than the floorstanders but they need and love power and perfect set up
I owned the original Cremona Auditors and really liked them, now own the Guarneri Mementos.

But, I heard Cremona Auditor M's "perfectly" set up in a Chicago dealer's showroom, driven by Naim electronics, and i was overwhelmed by their performance.

I've been working steadily for several months, trying to make my Guarneri Mementos sound as good as my memory of those Cremona Auditor M's.

What a great speaker.

I have a record player and a cd player and some other stuff that sounds pretty good.

MAIN SYSTEM: . . . Audio Physic Caldera III Loudspeakers, Spectral DMC 30SL Preamp, Spectral DMA 250 Amp, Spectral/MIT interconnects and speaker cable, Basis Debut V Vacuum turntable, Walker Precision Speed Controller, Graham tonearm, [B]Koetsu Rosewood or Grado Statement 1 Cartridges, PASS - X-ono Phono Stage, Esoteric K03 CD/SACD Player, Lexicon RT-20 Universal Player, Exact Power EP-15A & SP-15A power regeneration and conditioning devices. Symposium Acoustics Svelte pads & RollerBlock Jr's under speakers. ASC Tube Traps, Arcici Suspense Rack System, OPPO and Cambridge Streaming Devices.

DOWNSTAIRS SYSTEM: . . . Sonus Faber Guarneri Memento Speakers, JL Audio F112 Sub, McIntosh MA7000 Integrated Amp, McIntosh MVP871 Universal Disc Player, OPPO BDP-105 Blu-Ray Player, VPI Scoutmaster with periphery ring clamp, VPI SDS Motor Drive, Koetsu Pro IV, or Clearaudio Discovery Cartridges, Mark Levinson No. 25s phono stage, Wadia 170i Transport with a Meridian Bitstream 203 DAC, VPI HW-17 Pro Record Cleaning Machine, Five Richard Gray RGPC 400 devices scattered around the two systems, Arcici Suspense Rack System, Discovery Essence and Essential Cables, 14,000 ± LPs .
Old 07-16-2011, 09:33 AM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyPandy View Post
Sorry Dan - didn't mean to offend. Just not my cuppa.
Andy.......You did not offend me. I was merely offering my opinion of the Cremona Auditor's. I had not heard anyone before you state that they were disappointed in the Auditor's performance, which is why I was surprised.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A

Last edited by jdandy; 07-16-2011 at 09:54 AM.
Old 07-16-2011, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jprice View Post
I owned the original Cremona Auditors and really liked them, now own the Guarneri Mementos.

But, I heard Cremona Auditor M's "perfectly" set up in a Chicago dealer's showroom, driven by Naim electronics, and i was overwhelmed by their performance.

I've been working steadily for several months, trying to make my Guarneri Mementos sound as good as my memory of those Cremona Auditor M's.

What a great speaker.
as you Julian i'm still working with my elipsa to exceed the performance of my cremona auditor M in all the domains but I am still into the break in for the speakers but also the GAT and XV1-S

l
Old 07-16-2011, 09:50 AM
Lower Provo River, UT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jprice View Post

What a great speaker.
A number of interesting points here. Yes Naim and Sonus are a beautiful match, and not just the Auditors. I have heard many Naim/Sonus systems and they play quite beautifully together - to borrow a phrase from Alberto.

Perfectly set up is another point. We have used Auditor/Auditor M since their introductions to teach MASTERS. It/they are relatively easy to set up and will clearly show when you have made a bad positioning choice. Auditor communicates so clearly what is needed as your learn the the set up process and is for me, the best set up training speaker with which we have ever worked. We sell an awful lot of Auditors to MASTERS attendees who finally realize just how good Auditor really is.

Memento can be more difficult to set up than Auditor by a substantial margin. The higher pedestal changes some considerations as does the port tuning. Also rake is just as critical on Memento but the pedestal has no spikes. We have used business cards stacked at shows because of the precision you can get. Not ideal, but the correct rake is more important than the correct foot.

Your answer for the surpassing the memory of Auditor and any other compact monitor is on the water right now. Ivan may even have a picture or two
Old 07-16-2011, 10:00 AM
Lower Provo River, UT

Quote:
as you Julian i'm still working with my elipsa to exceed the performance of my cremona auditor M in all the domains but I am still into the break in for the speakers but also the GAT and XV1-S

Elipsa can be a little more difficult to set up to the nth degree because of the 2pi baffle. The baffle helps to intergrate the mid to woofer smoothly but if you are not careful you can make a bass choice that thins out the bottom of the midrange while it brings the mids forward a bit. The mistake most commonly occurs when using female vocals to assess/choose the position before you have solidified and linearized bass positioning. Female voice is the biggest liar in audio - at least where speaker positioning is concerned. You need information that bridges the range through the woofer-mid crossover. You need to build on top of an extended, powerful, linear bass response to determine where the speaker needs to/can be for the rest of the spectrum.

Working carefully with Elipsa to get the bass right, especially the linearity, is the key to getting it to do the special things that Elipsa does.