AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Integrated

Integrated All in one, Still in Style

Old 06-06-2017, 06:45 PM

Default McIntosh MA-6600 to Simaudio Moon 700i?

Hi all,

I am giving very serious consideration to selling my McIntosh MA-6600 integrated amp and purchasing a Simaudio 700i interacted amp to drive my Rockport Technology Atria speakers. Most of my listening is streaming audio from Tidal or a local drive through a Simaudio Moon DAC. My dealer, who I truly trust, believes I will get tighter and slightly deeper bass and more accurate shimmering highs. I truly enjoy my system as it is, but will gladly make the upgrade if the improvement in sound in worthy. By the way, I like the compactness and needing one less cable of an integrated, so I am not really interested in separates at this time. I have yet to try the 700i in my system.

Any thoughts on this integrated amp upgrade?
Old 06-06-2017, 07:54 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Mike.......If this dealer feels that strongly about the Moon 700i, ask for an in-home audition before writing the check. After all, it really doesn't matter one wit what the dealer thinks, it matters what you think. Spend a few days, perhaps over a weekend with the 700i in your system. That will tell you all you need to know.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 06-06-2017, 08:22 PM

Hey Dan,

The dealer is waiting for me to give the word to give me a loaner to demo at home. I am asking for advise because, while I am close to asking for the loaner, I want to tap into the wisdom of this group before taking that next to final step.

For what's worth, I trust the dealer quite a bit as he actually graciously and considerately talked me out of a decent sized purchase because he believed it would not give the most bang for the buck at this stage of the game.

I guess a side question is, how much of an improvement should I be looking at switching out electronics. I know I realized a big difference going from my Krell KAV -300r to the Mac. Do the differences get smaller when going from really good to maybe even better?
Old 06-06-2017, 09:01 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Mike.......I can appreciate the trust you have in your dealer. I trust several very good dealers myself. None the less, their ears aren't your ears, their room isn't your room, and their system is not your system. Recommendations from a trusted source are valuable, but not as valuable as direct personal experience.

As for whether a component change will deliver improvement over your present system, there is only one way to substantiate that. Try it, preferably in your sound system. With some components there are substantial differences as you move up the product line, while others may only present something different but not necessarily better. Every component has it's own sound that imparts an individual sonic signature on what you hear. Only you can make the determination as to whether what you are hearing is satisfying.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 06-06-2017, 09:42 PM

Excellent advise, good post[emoji106]
Old 06-06-2017, 10:54 PM

Dan,
Many thanks!
Old 06-06-2017, 10:59 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Mike.......I hope some others will comment because I sense you were hoping for a more in depth response about the difference you might experience going from the McIntosh MC6700 to the Simaudio Moon 700i. My point was to help focus your attention on your response to the gear and not opinions of others. None of us will be able to hear your sound system from our homes. You will hear it every day.

Old 06-06-2017, 11:29 PM
Aspiring Audiophile

I agree. Even expert opinions that have vetted the two components on a double blind test, cannot supplement your listening in your own home.

With as many variables as exist...nothing replaces the home demo with EXTENDED listening periods (some things can sound "better" during short term sessions, but are fatiguing over time).

Trust your dealer enough to test it at home. The buck stops at YOUR ears.
Main > Aurender N10/N100 / Antipodes K50 > Aries Cerat Kassandra mk2 - Playback Designs Dream DAC > D'agostino Momentum HD > PS Audio P10 > D'Agostino S250 > Sonus Faber Aida / REL S812 Six Pack + 4 JL Audio F113 Fathoms > B&W Signature HTM > Anthem Statement D2v > Mcintosh MC205 > Focal 1000 (side surrounds) > Bryston TIW (rear surrounds)

Secondary System > Aurender N100h> AMR777SE > D'agostino Momentum Integrated > Wilson Sasha DAW
Old 06-06-2017, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
Mike.......I hope some others will comment because I sense you were hoping for a more in depth response about the difference you might experience going from the McIntosh MC6700 to the Simaudio Moon 700i. My point was to help focus your attention on your response to the gear and not opinions of others. None of us will be able to hear your sound system from our homes. You will hear it every day.

I'm with Dan. Get the loaner installed for an extended period and make your decision based on how you feel. The Moon 700i is a great integrated amp and I doubt that mine will be replaced...
Avid Acutus SP, NO ARM, Benz Micro LP-S, Whest Audio PS.40RDT SE, PS Audio DSMP+DS DAC, Simaudio Moon 700i, Dali Epicon 6, Simaudio Moon Nēo 430HAD, HiFiMan HE-1000v2, Chord Sarum SA XLR, RCA, USB, Chord Sarum speaker, Nordost Vishnu power, Furutech plugs, PS Audio P10+Chord Sarum SA power, Stillpoints Ultra SS, Ultra Mini and LPI, HiFi Racks rack, Audio Desk Systeme PRO+Keith Monks Omni RCM
Old 06-06-2017, 11:37 PM

Good read, Dan. I truly appreciate your comments encouraging me to focus on what the considered new equipment sounds like to my ears in my room and with the rest of my equipment. I certainly intend to do so. Since I am fairly new to this level of equipment, I want to make sure I listen intelligently, as well as my heart and emotions, and hope to learn what to listen for both good and bad.