AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > CD Players, Digital Music & Servers

CD Players, Digital Music & Servers Aurender, dCs, Esoteric, Lumin.

Old 02-20-2012, 04:42 AM
Audio Snoopster

Default Playback Designs MPS-5 SACD/CD Player

Hi All,

I was wondering if there are any AA members who own or have demo'ed the Playback Designs MPS-5 SACD/CD player.

I currently have the Ayre QB-9 USB DAC, and was originally going to upgrade to the Ayre DX-5 Universal A/V Engine. However, after giving much thought to this, I decided that I'ed prefer to separate my audio & video gear, and go with an OPPO BDP-95, and then consider to replace my Ayre QB-9 with a more "heavy-weight" DAC and/or CD/SACD player.

My shortlist so is as follows:
  • Playback Designs MPS-5 SACD/CD player (USD 17,000)
  • Ayre R-series DAC - to be launched sometime end-2012 (USD ????)
  • dCS Debussy DAC (USD 11,700)
  • dCS Scarlatti SACD/CD playback system (USD 80,000)

I've heard the above gear in various setups, but not had a chance to play any of these in my current system which comprises the Wilson Sasha W/P speakers, Ayre KX-R preamp, Dan D'Agostino Momentum monoblock amps (coming soon), PurePower 3000 AC regenerator, and Transparent Ref. XL (MM2) cabling.

That being said, given the features (DAC/Esoteric transport/multiple digital inputs), pedigree (Andreas Koch), and pricing (USD 17,000) of the MPS-5, Playback Designs currently is at the top of my shortlist for now. As soon as I take delivery & break in my Momentums I will be trying to get the dealer here to arrange a home demo for me.

Would really appreciate your views/opinions.

Many thanks!

Philip

Last edited by psjl; 02-20-2012 at 04:45 AM.
Old 02-20-2012, 05:50 AM

Hello Philip,

I had the demo of its little brother, Cd only in Paris, the MP3.
I loved it.
Incredible analog sounding, side by side with a high end TT.
This is a very very serious player and the only one who maybe could put my MDA1000 out of my system but I would have to demo it next to the MDA.

Sent from my iPad using A.Aficionado
Old 02-20-2012, 07:12 AM
Life is beautiful

Philip, Keith (aka Amfibius) owns the PB Designs SACD-player.
He's very happy with it.
It's also on my list of enquiry.
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 02-20-2012, 07:35 AM

Hi Phil, as bart says - I own one of these players. I am not so sure how it would fit in with your system tonally. I have never heard your particular combo, but I have heard each individual component. Going through your list of equipment I would suspect that your setup sounds detailed, fast, but might be a little thin.

The MPS-5 is an extremely detailed and fast player, and can dig out prodigous amounts of information from the disc. That said, it can be a little dry and lean sounding. I had to tune it a little by swapping valves on my pre and power amp after I put it in my system. My system was previously tuned for my Cary CD-306, which was a warm and rich sounding player. With the MPS-5, it sounded lean and I had to make the sound fatter.

As with all these things, if you make a change in equipment you may have to play around a bit to get the sound you like.

Don't get me wrong - I love my CD player. I just question whether it would be a good choice for you tonally. The only way is to try it and see.
Source: Playback Designs MPS-5, Micro-Seiki BL99V, MA505 Mk2, Lyra Dorian, Denon 103D, RCM Sensor Phono Stage. Amplification: Cary SLP-05 pre, Cary CAD-211AE, SGR EL30S power, Marchand XM44. Speakers: Acapella High Violon, JL Audio F110 subwoofer pair. Pictures here
Old 02-20-2012, 09:57 AM

I recently had the chance to listen to the MPD-5 DAC and it sounded very good. I would like to try the SACD/Cd player as an alternative to MCD-1100 but not sure if the daler will be getting one in. The other unit I might consider is the new Esoteric P-02/D-02 combo but I think that might me a bit more than I would like to shell out.

Jim
Old 02-20-2012, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amfibius View Post
Hi Phil, as bart says - I own one of these players. I am not so sure how it would fit in with your system tonally. I have never heard your particular combo, but I have heard each individual component. Going through your list of equipment I would suspect that your setup sounds detailed, fast, but might be a little thin.

The MPS-5 is an extremely detailed and fast player, and can dig out prodigous amounts of information from the disc. That said, it can be a little dry and lean sounding. I had to tune it a little by swapping valves on my pre and power amp after I put it in my system. My system was previously tuned for my Cary CD-306, which was a warm and rich sounding player. With the MPS-5, it sounded lean and I had to make the sound fatter.

As with all these things, if you make a change in equipment you may have to play around a bit to get the sound you like.

Don't get me wrong - I love my CD player. I just question whether it would be a good choice for you tonally. The only way is to try it and see.

I listened to the MPD3 with the DartZeel CTH850 integrated, the biggest Verity Audio speakers and the biggest Kuzma TT and the Playback Designs sounded everything but lean.
Voluptuous and anlog sound and also extremely detailed.
Old 02-28-2012, 11:17 AM

Hi
I have a MPS-5 and it is excellelent.
I run it into a BAT VK52se pre and ATC active aniversary 50s.
I used a dcs puccini in my system and the playback is better. I also had the opportunity to extensively audition a dcs 3 box Paganini in a pretty high end system.
The MPS sounds better imo, more base definition and less digital quality to the sound. I have not found it particulaely lean. It has excellent image, depth and focus with a generous sound stage.
I am a big vinyl fan (kuzma XL4 and ARC ref2 phono) the MPS playing CD pushes the vinyl close.
SACD is even better but have not been able compare with similar vinyl. Large scale orchestra and solo instruments are as good as I have heard.
I have not been able to improve on the internal disc player by using an external source such as a lap top into the DAC. Probably need to experiment further in this area.
Old 04-03-2012, 10:55 AM

Anyone else considering the Playback Designs MPS-5 SACD/CD player or stand alone DAC? Seems like a very nice unit.
Old 04-05-2012, 10:21 AM
Audio Snoopster

Quote:
Originally Posted by C220MC275 View Post
Hello Philip,

I had the demo of its little brother, Cd only in Paris, the MP3.
I loved it........
Quote:
Originally Posted by C220MC275 View Post
I listened to the MPD3 with the DartZeel CTH850 integrated, the biggest Verity Audio speakers and the biggest Kuzma TT and the Playback Designs sounded everything but lean.
Voluptuous and anlog sound and also extremely detailed.
Jérôme......I've read various comments in other forums as well as spoken with others who have heard the PD MPS-5, and one thing that most individuals bring up always is that it comes across as very analog sounding while resolution & detail retrieval is excellent......I'm crossing my fingers that this particular search will not end up as long as my amp search! .......Philip

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart View Post
Philip, Keith (aka Amfibius) owns the PB Designs SACD-player.
He's very happy with it........
Bart......The PD MPS-5 has been on my list for quite sometime now, but so far I have only managed to hear it with Mark Levinson gear at the dealer's place, so I'm trying to set up an A/B comparison with gear that I am familiar with before making the final decision.......Have you had a chance to demo the PD MPS-5 yet?......Also, just curious to know what other digital sources may be on your shortlist?......Philip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amfibius View Post
Hi Phil, as bart says - I own one of these players. I am not so sure how it would fit in with your system tonally. I have never heard your particular combo, but I have heard each individual component. Going through your list of equipment I would suspect that your setup sounds detailed, fast, but might be a little thin........
Keith.....The funny thing is, I am actually looking at the PD MPS-5 because my current system is too warm, lush, and a tad much on the "meatier" (for lack of a better word) side of things for my liking.......With what you described in your post - "extremely detailed and fast player", "can dig out prodigous amounts of information", "little dry and lean sounding" - I believe/hope that this will bring a little more balance to my system.......However, I am in the process of A/B'ing the PD MPS-5 with the Ayre QB-9 (currently in my system) and Ayre DX-5, before deciding if this is the best way to move forward......Unfortunately, the dealers over here for dCS and EMM Labs don't seem too enthusiastic about home demos, thus it'll be difficult for me to consider buying their gear.......In any event, many thanks for your comments, and it certainly has given me more food for thought! ......Philip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still-One View Post
I recently had the chance to listen to the MPD-5 DAC and it sounded very good........
Jim......The thing I like about the PD MPS-5 is that it's a one-box solution, and it also is currently one of the few players on the market that can do DSD-over-USB.......companies like Channel Classics and Blue Coast Records are releasing downloadable DSD recordings which is great.......Price-wise, at USD 17,000, it still cost less than a dCS Puccini+U-Clock (USD 23,000), EMM Labs XDS1 (USD 25,000), or Esoteric K-01 (USD 22,000)......Hopefully, your dealer will be able to get a PD MPS-5 in and then you'll be able to demo it in your system.......I'm crossing my fingers that the PD MPS-5 will be the right fit for my system .......Philip

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom View Post
Hi
I have a MPS-5 and it is excellelent........
Tom.....Thanks for your comments, and what you have said certainly echoes what many others are saying about the PD MPS-5......So far for me, from all my research thus far, everything points to the PD MPS-5 being right for my system, but of course, the ultimate test will be to see how the PD MPS-5 gets along with my particular system in reality.......From reading both Keith (Amfibius) and your comments, the PD MPS-5 comes across differently, which really is of no surprise, which just goes to show the importance of system synergy as well as room acoustics, and let's not forget, no two individuals hear/perceive things exactly the same way.......Other than having once listened to the PD MPS-5 with Mark Levinson gear in the dealer's showroom, I have pretty much been doing only desk jockey research......so I guess my next step is to really get my own pair of ears more involved in the selection process! .........Philip

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
Anyone else considering the Playback Designs MPS-5 SACD/CD player or stand alone DAC? Seems like a very nice unit.
Joe.......In my opinion, the PD MPS-5 is definitely worthy of consideration given its performance, features and price......The standouts for me are the modified TEAC Esoteric VSOP transport & DAC as well as DSD-over-USB capability especially given that downloadable DSD recordings are beginning to become available (dsd).......Playback Designs only started in 2008 and it also doesn't advertise as heavily like dCS, EMM Labs and Esoteric, but given the professional & non-professional reviews/comments of PD MPS-5 thus far, as well as the pedigree behind it (Andreas Koch - About Us | Playback Designs), if you're looking for your next digital source, I would be surprised if this one does not make your shortlist - hopefully you'll get a chance to demo the PD MPS-5 soon.......I'm in the process of trying to get an opportunity to demo the PD MPS-5 with my system, and hopefully it'll be sooner rather than later.......Philip

Last edited by psjl; 04-05-2012 at 10:24 AM.
Old 04-05-2012, 02:11 PM

These have been hot items at my dealer. He has one breaking in now and I hope to bring it homev soon if he does not sell it.
Jim