AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > General Audio Discussion

General Audio Discussion All other Audio Q & A

Old 12-16-2018, 02:26 AM
Ultra-Fast 69

Default Brinkmann Nyquist MK II DAC

I have had a learning, enjoyable and expensive last few years stepping back into hi end, hi-fi audio to enjoy both the music and the equipment. While this forum tilts towards Esoteric and McIntosh, I like to look outside the considered.

So as the journey continues, I recently sold my DAC and Transport and added a Brinkmann Nyquist MK II DAC, and for the time being, using my Oppo 203 as the Transport.

I chose the Brinkmann DAC for a number of reasons, beginning with the warmth of sound coming from a total of 4 tubes supporting analog gain and output stage, the valves are cleverly designed into the heat sink on each side of the component. Also, I like having an outboard power supply. The build quality no doubt rears German design and engineering, and it’s simplicity of use. The Brinkmann features being a Roon Ready Network Player as well as producing full MQA rendering and supports several streaming services. The only caveats IMO would be Is to have a larger display when selecting sources or levels of gain, perhaps modification can be done by programming since there is no room to make a larger display, and adding a power button on the remote.

Also, if I introduce a turntable, Brinkmann is one of my favorites and most likely I will add their phono stage, the Marconi MK II. I have always been in the camp of maintaining the least amount of brands in a system, IMO the synergies are better.

The Nyquist arrived double boxed and well packed to withstand international shipping from Germany eventually landing to the Pacific Northwest, USA.

Rear panel connections include the options to connect modern and legacy systems along with balanced outputs, important for me since my system is all balanced. The Brinkmann includes a solid slab of polished granite which the DAC rests on. Brinkmann recommends mechanical isolation for us tweakers is only optional between the bottom of the granite and the platform it rests, so I used some HRS Nimbus pucks laying in storage and repurposed these between a HRS M3X platform and Brinkmann’s granite, more for protection of the HRS platform and aesthetics - I’m unsure if any sound quality was gained here.

I held back after much temptation to reverse Brinkmann’s instruction to use only their power cable, and plugged the outboard power supply directly into a Furutech GTX D receptacle, wall plate and the 105D cover, leaving my Nordost and Ansuz power cables sitting jealously on the sidelines wanting in. Brinkmann stresses directly plugging their power cord directly into the wall outlet because its power supply incorporates a proprietary power filter. I found it odd they don’t supply granite for the separate power supply, so I obtained a remnant of granite and Ultra SS’d this between the power supply and granite.

Brinkmann maintains inventory and uses the Telefunken NOS tubes from the ‘60s designed for hard use in televisions back when this was standard for tv and claim life expectancy better than 10 years - so I should be ok here for a while. The Telefunken tubes are used 2 each for the output stage and the analog gain control.

Built like a Panzer, the DAC includes a see through top showing full display on their approach and quality of craftsmanship to digital to analog conversion, I really like how the red color of the board makes things pop. The DAC incorporates modulation to address future updates. While Brinkmann does charge for updates, you are getting a hardware module versus an upgrade on a memory card, my system was sold as the upgraded MKII.

Brinkmann indicates you need a day to let the DAC settle that would add onto the 7 days of powering previously at the factory, while I’m sure their 7 days and the first 24 hours of home time helped, it does need more, a lot more. I now have accumulated about 150 hours, and the range of fullness in sound did not begin to accentuate into its own signature until about 50 hours, and at 150 is sounding very sweet, burn in is a painful process no matter the component or cable for that matter.

Their play of sound originates from what I understand is in their build. The Nyquist uses the ESS ES9018S Sabre DAC for each channel incorporating 8 separate converters. Brinkmann engineers their own PLL, up-filters and a clock that sits next to the DAC where jitter matters most. The up-filters sample at a rate of 352kHZ or 384kHz, holding separation of the incoming PCM. The component also includes its own independent signal path and data conversion for DSD. The same power supplying the tubes also supplies the DAC chips which Brinkmann claims to improves the sound, and at this point I can only agree.

* The weight and imaging of the pianos keys played by Fazil Say on DeBussey and Satie plays has never sounded better

* Hendrix literally lights up the stage a second time playing “Machine Gun”, Live at the Fillmore East.

* The intro on Chicago’s, “I’m a Man” presents a fantastic presentation of timbre and sustained decays, just amazing.

* Grant Greens ensemble sounds incredible on “Idle Moments” with clear distinction of stage and presence with his hollow body Gibson and other band instruments, it makes you almost want to smoke a cigarette and sip on some bourbon and I don’t smoke.

IMO and from experience, the Brinkmann Nyquist MK II DAC has earned its place amongst the top DAC’s in the world for a lower cost of entry. While still steep in price, it is not as crazy as others in this arena for parallel performance.

Adding the component and listening to the Brinkmann really compliments my entire system making all my effort and expense present very well. As I go forward, I can easily sit here for hours on end ignoring other responsibilities, and in the event of guests, I would not want to stand up in front of them without being slightly embarrassed.

I can now finally rest for a bit.

Pros: Tube sound, Size, Build Quality, MQA/Roon, Streaming Services

Cons: Small LCD screen, and no power button on the remote, but no way a deal killer.

IMG_1260.jpgIMG_1261.jpgIMG_1262.jpgIMG_1266.jpg
Old 12-16-2018, 04:02 AM
Penuriophile

Nice!
Old 12-16-2018, 02:28 PM

Congrats....look forward to getting a demo of this great system