AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Martin Logan

Martin Logan Panel Speakers Extraordinare

Old 09-10-2012, 01:21 PM

About 10 years back I had the 1.6 driven by a VT 100/LS 16 and later the ref 2 which certainly nudged the performance several notches. However, I ended up selling the 1.6 cuz I couldn't quite tame a "brightness" regardless of any tweak I employed from switching to a higher value fuse, changing the steel jumpers to thicker cables, by passing the fuse and even covering my back wall with a comforter blanket! But I can't seem to forget the wide, expansive stage and I'm thinking that with upgraded electronics and a new treated, better damped room, I'd give the higher model 3.6 a shot, specially if I can nail one at a good discount.
Old 09-10-2012, 01:57 PM
World's Oldest Audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dafos View Post
Thanks for all the inputs. I'm actually thinking of these as an alternative (not to replace) my Magico Mini 2's. Julian, I noticed you've moved on to dynamic speakers, and I'm specially familiar and love the Guarneris. Why did you make the move away from these planar/stats? Just like you, I. Running JL Audio F 112's with my Magico.
I moved away from the Martin Logan planar speakers because I also owned Avalon Eidolons which, from my particular perspective, were as transparent and refined as were the Martin Logans, and actually better than the ML's at soundstaging, as well as being more dynamic. They also fit the decor of my room better than the Martin Logans.

Now please recall that my ML's were the original Summits, which, I understand, have been significantly improved upon by the Summit X's.

Years ago, the Avalon speakers, among dynamic speakers, were somewhat unique in their incredible transparency, refinement, soundstaging and imaging ability, although I understand that certain modern dynamic speaker designs - like the Magico - now share those capabilities. I have owned Avalon Eidolons since 1999, and at the time I bought them, they were "one of a kind" and are still eminently listenable speakers.

I bought the Guarneri's for a second system and they are exceptionally good sounding speakers.

I had previously sold the big Magnepans because they blocked the view of the lake which may be seen through the windows of my listening room, and my wife had convinced me that this was important to her!

Avalon Eidolons in the same setting . . .

I have a record player and a cd player and some other stuff that sounds pretty good.

MAIN SYSTEM: . . . Audio Physic Caldera III Loudspeakers, Spectral DMC 30SL Preamp, Spectral DMA 250 Amp, Spectral/MIT interconnects and speaker cable, Basis Debut V Vacuum turntable, Walker Precision Speed Controller, Graham tonearm, [B]Koetsu Rosewood or Grado Statement 1 Cartridges, PASS - X-ono Phono Stage, Esoteric K03 CD/SACD Player, Lexicon RT-20 Universal Player, Exact Power EP-15A & SP-15A power regeneration and conditioning devices. Symposium Acoustics Svelte pads & RollerBlock Jr's under speakers. ASC Tube Traps, Arcici Suspense Rack System, OPPO and Cambridge Streaming Devices.

DOWNSTAIRS SYSTEM: . . . Sonus Faber Guarneri Memento Speakers, JL Audio F112 Sub, McIntosh MA7000 Integrated Amp, McIntosh MVP871 Universal Disc Player, OPPO BDP-105 Blu-Ray Player, VPI Scoutmaster with periphery ring clamp, VPI SDS Motor Drive, Koetsu Pro IV, or Clearaudio Discovery Cartridges, Mark Levinson No. 25s phono stage, Wadia 170i Transport with a Meridian Bitstream 203 DAC, VPI HW-17 Pro Record Cleaning Machine, Five Richard Gray RGPC 400 devices scattered around the two systems, Arcici Suspense Rack System, Discovery Essence and Essential Cables, 14,000 ± LPs .

Last edited by AudioNut; 09-10-2012 at 02:06 PM.
Old 09-10-2012, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dafos View Post
ML is more than 3x the cost so what do you get for that additional cost, aside form the powered bass modules?
no 'asides' about it, the Logans can produce 'real bass' !

now add a couple of sub's to the Maggies and you have something, both speakers require competent amplification.........pick your flavor !
Old 09-10-2012, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioNut View Post
I had previously sold the big Magnepans because they blocked the view of the lake which may be seen through the windows of my listening room,
any di-pole speaker that has glass behind it can never be a good thing ! I understand the Avalon attraction, one of the few 'box' speakers that most of us 'planar guys' can actually enjoy !
Old 09-10-2012, 03:30 PM
World's Oldest Audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikado463 View Post
any di-pole speaker that has glass behind it can never be a good thing ! I understand the Avalon attraction, one of the few 'box' speakers that most of us 'planar guys' can actually enjoy !
You are normally correct in your statement about di-pole planar speakers and glass - except my particular room was fully treated with tube traps and other acoustic treatment devices so as to minimize the effects of the glass. The ceiling was a special acoustic tile, tuned to the room and the floor was cork with a special glazed finish that was non-reflective, plus the floor in front of the speakers was covered by a large oriental rug with heavy padding underneath.

Furnishings consisted of fairly heavy upholstered furniture and the room was essentially "dead" to a slap test. Almost anechoic and non reflective with the treatments in place.

In the pictures, you can't see the large tube traps just outside the edge of the second set of windows, nor the traps that lined the side walls.

Actually the di-poles sounded exceptionally good in that room in spite of the glass!

Now, the room just upstairs and directly above the "good sounding room" sounded terrible, no matter what I did to treat it. . . . too much glass, I expect . . and the glass actually went up another level from the top level you can see here.

living room-126.jpg

I have a record player and a cd player and some other stuff that sounds pretty good.

MAIN SYSTEM: . . . Audio Physic Caldera III Loudspeakers, Spectral DMC 30SL Preamp, Spectral DMA 250 Amp, Spectral/MIT interconnects and speaker cable, Basis Debut V Vacuum turntable, Walker Precision Speed Controller, Graham tonearm, [B]Koetsu Rosewood or Grado Statement 1 Cartridges, PASS - X-ono Phono Stage, Esoteric K03 CD/SACD Player, Lexicon RT-20 Universal Player, Exact Power EP-15A & SP-15A power regeneration and conditioning devices. Symposium Acoustics Svelte pads & RollerBlock Jr's under speakers. ASC Tube Traps, Arcici Suspense Rack System, OPPO and Cambridge Streaming Devices.

DOWNSTAIRS SYSTEM: . . . Sonus Faber Guarneri Memento Speakers, JL Audio F112 Sub, McIntosh MA7000 Integrated Amp, McIntosh MVP871 Universal Disc Player, OPPO BDP-105 Blu-Ray Player, VPI Scoutmaster with periphery ring clamp, VPI SDS Motor Drive, Koetsu Pro IV, or Clearaudio Discovery Cartridges, Mark Levinson No. 25s phono stage, Wadia 170i Transport with a Meridian Bitstream 203 DAC, VPI HW-17 Pro Record Cleaning Machine, Five Richard Gray RGPC 400 devices scattered around the two systems, Arcici Suspense Rack System, Discovery Essence and Essential Cables, 14,000 ± LPs .

Last edited by AudioNut; 09-10-2012 at 03:48 PM.
Old 09-10-2012, 04:13 PM
Life is beautiful

A really great view Julian! Wow!
And I do mean the house, the lake... AND the speakers
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 09-10-2012, 07:19 PM

actually, if you can get the logans far enough away from the wall behind them, there's a lot of advantages to a line source as opposed to a monopole point source in the room in terms of eliminating the room from the euation. Line sources greatly reduce floor and ceiling reflections, and di poles minimize the side wall reflection.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:31 AM

Summit X owners, I am considering this speaker to pair with a Simaudio 650D/C2300/MC402 stereo system. How would they match with these electronics? My other contenders are Aerial 7T, B&W802D and Wilson Sofia III. Would appreciate any comments on how these speakers may compare with the above mentioned front end equipment.
Old 01-12-2013, 07:14 PM

I have used Mac solid state and valve and you will not have any problems with the Summit X, in fact your amps will be better than great. I have also owned the Wilson Sophia for a time, my view is they need a soft dome tweeter to be a great speaker.
Old 07-04-2013, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llcancado View Post
Summit X owners, I am considering this speaker to pair with a Simaudio 650D/C2300/MC402 stereo system. How would they match with these electronics? My other contenders are Aerial 7T, B&W802D and Wilson Sofia III. Would appreciate any comments on how these speakers may compare with the above mentioned front end equipment.
well the summit are a lot smaller in footprint and have great waf than the b&w . they are easier to move and have a magnificent scale to die for