AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Pre-Amps & Amplifiers

Pre-Amps & Amplifiers All Brands Welcome

Old 03-14-2017, 03:40 PM

I agree that I was not solving the OP's situation. Just offering my setup and why it works with a McIntosh processor and separate two channel preamp.
Supporting System: McIntosh MX122 A/V Center; MC205 Amplifier; Bryston 14bSST2 Amplifier; PS Audio P10 Power Reconditioner; Revel Salon 2 Mains; Revel Voice 2 CC; JL Audio f113v2 (2); JL Audio CR-1 Crossover; Focal IC1002 Surrounds
Old 03-14-2017, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tutomac View Post
That makes sense. However, It sounds like that you are still not sharing a sub. Your sub is strictly for HT use as I understand it. It seems like the OP (as I ) would like to use the sub, both for HT and stereo listening. In my case, the problem is that my subs have one input only (RCA).

One thing I could do is dedicate one sub to 2ch and one sub to HT, but then I would loose the additive effect (and the whole point of using two subs in the first place) of two subs in a big open room like mine In this way I would also avoid changing settings back and forth, but again at the expense of loosing the advantage of two subs.

The OP is about sharing one (or two in my case) subs between two preamps in passthru mode (processor and 2ch pre). If his speakers don't go as low as yours ( I understand the Revels have awesome low frequency response and i would hope they do considering how amazing they look), then he may still want the help of a sub for 2ch listening...

Spot on tutomac - I'm sure somebody will have the answer for us!
Old 03-14-2017, 06:02 PM

Specifically then, from your previous post I believe you have a B&W DB1 subwoofer.

If that is correct, then from the manual it states that both the mono input and the stereo input can be setup independently of each other.

Therefore in a home theater setup you would connect the subwoofer output of your HT preamp to the subwoofer's input.

When listening to your C2500 in 2 ch stereo, you would use one of the stereo outputs, Output 1 or 2 (I assume the mains go to the amplifier that connect to the 802's) and run a line to the stereo inputs on the DB1.

Then you would use the menu of the DB1 to set the parameters of each input to what you want, the mono for home theater use, and the stereo for 2 channel listening.

If it is a different subwoofer, let us know.
PreAmp: Audio Research Ref 6
Amp: ML 536 (2), Rotel 1552 (3), Rotel 1585
Speakers: Focal Maestro EVO, Focal 1000 Utopia Center, Focal 1000 IW6 side/rear surrounds, Focal 1000 IW6 X4 Ceiling, Rel G2 X 2 subs, Martin Logan 1500 X 2 subs, B&W 805D2 in master bedroom
Video: JVC NZ8 Projector
Power: Shunyata Everest, Sigma XC (1), Sigma NR (1), Sigma Analog (2), Alpha HC (2), Alpha Digital (2), Alpha Analog (1), Viper(1), Venom Digital(1)
Cables: Shunyata Anaconda SC, Anaconda IC (2), Shunyata Sigma USB, Shunyata Sigma XLR X 2, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, Shunyata Clock Alpha X 2, Sigma x 1

Last edited by edward3132; 03-14-2017 at 08:34 PM. Reason: to correct some errors
Old 03-15-2017, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edward3132 View Post
Specifically then, from your previous post I believe you have a B&W DB1 subwoofer.

If that is correct, then from the manual it states that both the mono input and the stereo input can be setup independently of each other.

Therefore in a home theater setup you would connect the subwoofer output of your HT preamp to the subwoofer's input.

When listening to your C2500 in 2 ch stereo, you would use one of the stereo outputs, Output 1 or 2 (I assume the mains go to the amplifier that connect to the 802's) and run a line to the stereo inputs on the DB1.

Then you would use the menu of the DB1 to set the parameters of each input to what you want, the mono for home theater use, and the stereo for 2 channel listening.

If it is a different subwoofer, let us know.

Thanks Edward - yes it's the DB1 I am soon to have back from repair...

This makes sense however how should the speaker set up be set in terms of small / large given what you have suggested?
Old 03-15-2017, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitator View Post
Thanks Edward - yes it's the DB1 I am soon to have back from repair...

This makes sense however how should the speaker set up be set in terms of small / large given what you have suggested?
In my home theater setup I have 802D2's as fronts, HTM2D as center, and 804D2 as surround rears. I have only the 802's set up as large, every other speaker is set up as small.

Of course it is real easy to set up the fronts any way you want and see what works best for you. I feel the 802's go low enough when it comes to theater.
Speakers: Focal Maestro EVO, Focal 1000 Utopia Center, Focal 1000 IW6 side/rear surrounds, Focal 1000 IW6 X4 Ceiling, Rel G2 X 2 subs, Martin Logan 1500 X 2 subs, B&W 805D2 in master bedroom
Power: Shunyata Everest, Sigma XC (1), Sigma NR (1), Sigma Analog (2), Alpha HC (2), Alpha Digital (2), Alpha Analog (1), Viper(1), Venom Digital(1)
Cables: Shunyata Anaconda SC, Anaconda IC (2), Shunyata Sigma USB, Shunyata Sigma XLR X 2, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, Shunyata Clock Alpha X 2, Sigma x 1
Old 03-16-2017, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edward3132 View Post
In my home theater setup I have 802D2's as fronts, HTM2D as center, and 804D2 as surround rears. I have only the 802's set up as large, every other speaker is set up as small.

Of course it is real easy to set up the fronts any way you want and see what works best for you. I feel the 802's go low enough when it comes to theater.

Hey Edward - do you know whether I can run RCA into the c2500 for the stereo input on the DB1 given I run balanced speaker connections? The processor isn't an issue as the DB1 has a mono XLR input but just wondered about the c2500 given the DB1 doesn't have a stereo XLR connection...

Thanks for your help
Old 03-16-2017, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitator View Post
Hey Edward - do you know whether I can run RCA into the c2500 for the stereo input on the DB1 given I run balanced speaker connections? The processor isn't an issue as the DB1 has a mono XLR input but just wondered about the c2500 given the DB1 doesn't have a stereo XLR connection...

Thanks for your help
Unfortunately, like in my situation, my Rel does not have XLR stereo inputs either.

Therefore you will have to use RCA out from the C2500 to your DB1. The C2500 has both RCA and XLR outputs on all three of his outputs and they are all hot all the time. Your main output would be the XLR's going to your main 2 channel amplifier. Use the Output 1 RCA's to connect to the sub. Then make sure you turn on Output 1 on the front of the C2500.

You should be up and running at that point. Though I would have preferred to have XLR all the way around, everything still sounds great.

Edward
Old 03-17-2017, 06:02 AM

All set up and sounding great! Thanks all for the input, especially Edward...
Old 03-17-2017, 08:01 AM

Glad I could be of help.