AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Pre-Amps & Amplifiers

Pre-Amps & Amplifiers All Brands Welcome

Old 03-12-2017, 04:52 AM

Default C2500 with subwoofer

Hi All

I will soon have a subwoofer back in action for the first time since getting my McIntosh c2500.

If I wish to use my subwoofer for both 2 channel and HT, do I just need to connect my sub to an Output XLR connection on the c2500 given I already have passthrough set up? I'm assuming I also just have to tell my processor there is a subwoofer connected...

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-12-2017, 02:57 PM

Default C2500 with subwoofer

I'm running the MX121 as my HT processor, coupled with the C2500 for 2 channel. I've decided to incorporate a JL Audio CR-1 Crossover between the 2500 and the subs.

Without the CR-1, I believe one might need to use some type of splitter to accomplish this if you are trying to run home theater 5.1 and two-channel augmented by sub.

Lots of knowledge here. I'm interested in the collective wisdom.
Supporting System: McIntosh MX122 A/V Center; MC205 Amplifier; Bryston 14bSST2 Amplifier; PS Audio P10 Power Reconditioner; Revel Salon 2 Mains; Revel Voice 2 CC; JL Audio f113v2 (2); JL Audio CR-1 Crossover; Focal IC1002 Surrounds
Old 03-14-2017, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scirica View Post
I'm running the MX121 as my HT processor, coupled with the C2500 for 2 channel. I've decided to incorporate a JL Audio CR-1 Crossover between the 2500 and the subs.

Without the CR-1, I believe one might need to use some type of splitter to accomplish this if you are trying to run home theater 5.1 and two-channel augmented by sub.

Lots of knowledge here. I'm interested in the collective wisdom.

Thanks Scirica - yes the crossover I'm not sure about. Given the DB1 has inbuilt recognition of the relevant B&W speakers being used, which for me is the 802's, this might alleviate the need for much manual intervention but I'm not certain...

Hopefully others in a similar position can chime in?
Old 03-14-2017, 11:56 AM

This is interesting. I only use my subs for HT now that I have a C52 in passthru as well. If you are able to use your sub(s) in both HT and 2CH, with separate pre's, do you keep the same setting for the subs for both functions? Will the sound characteristics for 2channel music plus a sub the same as for watching an action movie? Or do you have to adjust the subs for a specific use every time?
Just wondering.

Cheers!
Old 03-14-2017, 12:28 PM

Fortunately for me, I have a C2300 in pass thru mode but use a Rel G2 in my system which has both a LFE input for home theater and a normal low or high bypass that can be connected to one of the outputs of the C2300. They can be set up completely independent of each other.
PreAmp: Audio Research Ref 6
Amp: ML 536 (2), Rotel 1552 (3), Rotel 1585
Speakers: Focal Maestro EVO, Focal 1000 Utopia Center, Focal 1000 IW6 side/rear surrounds, Focal 1000 IW6 X4 Ceiling, Rel G2 X 2 subs, Martin Logan 1500 X 2 subs, B&W 805D2 in master bedroom
Video: JVC NZ8 Projector
Power: Shunyata Everest, Sigma XC (1), Sigma NR (1), Sigma Analog (2), Alpha HC (2), Alpha Digital (2), Alpha Analog (1), Viper(1), Venom Digital(1)
Cables: Shunyata Anaconda SC, Anaconda IC (2), Shunyata Sigma USB, Shunyata Sigma XLR X 2, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, Shunyata Clock Alpha X 2, Sigma x 1

Last edited by edward3132; 03-14-2017 at 12:29 PM. Reason: add info
Old 03-14-2017, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edward3132 View Post
Fortunately for me, I have a C2300 in pass thru mode but use a Rel G2 in my system which has both a LFE input for home theater and a normal low or high bypass that can be connected to one of the outputs of the C2300. They can be set up completely independent of each other.
That's a cool setup!
Supporting System: McIntosh MX122 A/V Center; MC205 Amplifier; Bryston 14bSST2 Amplifier; PS Audio P10 Power Reconditioner; Revel Salon 2 Mains; Revel Voice 2 CC; JL Audio f113v2 (2); JL Audio CR-1 Crossover; Focal IC1002 Surrounds
Old 03-14-2017, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edward3132 View Post
No such chance with my JL Audio subs
Old 03-14-2017, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tutomac View Post
This is interesting. I only use my subs for HT now that I have a C52 in passthru as well. If you are able to use your sub(s) in both HT and 2CH, with separate pre's, do you keep the same setting for the subs for both functions? Will the sound characteristics for 2channel music plus a sub the same as for watching an action movie? Or do you have to adjust the subs for a specific use every time?
Just wondering.

Cheers!
In my case I run the mains (Revel Salon 2's) full range. The audio signal from the MX121 for 5.1 usage is sending everything except LFE to mains. LFE is still handled by my "third sub" which is a Paradigm studio 15 connected to the MX121. So for theater I'm getting great full range music and soundtrack from my mains + f113v's, with LFE coming from the Paradigm.

When I'm running stereo straight off my C2500 I'm just getting full range (Salons + f113v2's).

In this configuration no adjustments are necessary between 5.1 and stereo listening. I almost sold the Paradigm sub, but now I'm glad I kept it!
Old 03-14-2017, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tutomac View Post
No such chance with my JL Audio subs
I was fortunate when I decide to go with Rel that it had this option.

For most I guess you would need to have two independent setups: your subwoofer for the 2 channel stereo and a dedicated sub for home theater to do the LFE.

Edward
PreAmp: Audio Research Ref 6
Amp: ML 536 (2), Rotel 1552 (3), Rotel 1585
Speakers: Focal Maestro EVO, Focal 1000 Utopia Center, Focal 1000 IW6 side/rear surrounds, Focal 1000 IW6 X4 Ceiling, Rel G2 X 2 subs, Martin Logan 1500 X 2 subs, B&W 805D2 in master bedroom
Video: JVC NZ8 Projector
Power: Shunyata Everest, Sigma XC (1), Sigma NR (1), Sigma Analog (2), Alpha HC (2), Alpha Digital (2), Alpha Analog (1), Viper(1), Venom Digital(1)
Cables: Shunyata Anaconda SC, Anaconda IC (2), Shunyata Sigma USB, Shunyata Sigma XLR X 2, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, Shunyata Clock Alpha X 2, Sigma x 1
Old 03-14-2017, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scirica View Post
In my case I run the mains (Revel Salon 2's) full range. The audio signal from the MX121 for 5.1 usage is sending everything except LFE to mains. LFE is still handled by my "third sub" which is a Paradigm studio 15 connected to the MX121. So for theater I'm getting great full range music and soundtrack from my mains + f113v's, with LFE coming from the Paradigm.

When I'm running stereo straight off my C2500 I'm just getting full range (Salons + f113v2's).

In this configuration no adjustments are necessary between 5.1 and stereo listening. I almost sold the Paradigm sub, but now I'm glad I kept it!
That makes sense. However, It sounds like that you are still not sharing a sub. Your sub is strictly for HT use as I understand it. It seems like the OP (as I ) would like to use the sub, both for HT and stereo listening. In my case, the problem is that my subs have one input only (RCA).

One thing I could do is dedicate one sub to 2ch and one sub to HT, but then I would loose the additive effect (and the whole point of using two subs in the first place) of two subs in a big open room like mine In this way I would also avoid changing settings back and forth, but again at the expense of loosing the advantage of two subs.

The OP is about sharing one (or two in my case) subs between two preamps in passthru mode (processor and 2ch pre). If his speakers don't go as low as yours ( I understand the Revels have awesome low frequency response and i would hope they do considering how amazing they look), then he may still want the help of a sub for 2ch listening...