AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Simaudio Moon

Simaudio Moon High End Audiophile Amplifiers and Sound

Old 11-11-2017, 08:53 PM

They work great on my HD700s too opened them up and a little less harshness
Old 11-20-2017, 11:18 AM

The Dragon Cables arrived this morning. I ordered them in "Balanced" for the Sennheiser HD600/650 and the Bryston BHA-1 to try them out.

I'll give them some days to burn in and share my findings.
Old 11-20-2017, 05:46 PM

Hell yes they scale!
Normally I keep headphones to strictly digital media, and 2ch to just vinyl, but not long ago I hooked up my Headroom Maxed Balanced Home w/ HD650 to the big 2ch to help track down a grounding issue.

That was 110 lbs. of turntable and a Koetsu Platinum cartridge feeding into the HD650, haha. Wow! Definitely the best I've heard HD650. They keep scaling! I have half a mind to hook it up again sometime just for listening pleasure. Though the ATH-L3000 "Leatherhead" and Stax SR-009 are still my favorite headphones overall, cost no object.

Last edited by mulveling; 11-20-2017 at 05:53 PM.
Old 11-20-2017, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulveling View Post
Hell yes they scale!
Normally I keep headphones to strictly digital media, and 2ch to just vinyl, but not long ago I hooked up my Headroom Maxed Balanced Home w/ HD650 to the big 2ch to help track down a grounding issue.

That was 110 lbs. of turntable and a Koetsu Platinum cartridge feeding into the HD650, haha. Wow! Definitely the best I've heard HD650. They keep scaling! I have half a mind to hook it up again sometime just for listening pleasure. Though the ATH-L3000 "Leatherhead" and Stax SR-009 are still my favorite headphones overall, cost no object.

How cool is that?!
Old 11-20-2017, 07:04 PM

Very cool, indeed!

Last edited by Canonicus; 11-20-2017 at 07:07 PM.
Old 11-29-2017, 06:13 PM

Just received my 2nd pair of Black Dragons. This time for the Focal Utopia. 10FT with Furutech XLR termination. Yikes! Liquid midrange, blacker background, lower noise floor allowing for an even deeper listening and holy cow, did I mention the LIQUID midrange? These are seriously good straight out of the box...
Old 11-29-2017, 06:18 PM

Old 01-03-2018, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
Just received my 2nd pair of Black Dragons. This time for the Focal Utopia. 10FT with Furutech XLR termination. Yikes! Liquid midrange, blacker background, lower noise floor allowing for an even deeper listening and holy cow, did I mention the LIQUID midrange? These are seriously good straight out of the box...
Moon Audio makes nice cables and I’ve owned or tried all 3 Dragons. However, I’ve moved on and found cables that I like better from Norne, Double Helix, and Wywires. When I bought my Utopia, I bought the Black Dragon and the Wywires Platinum both in a balanced configuration. I ended up returning the BD. Both were good but the Wywires provided a larger soundstage and more precise imaging without any added brightness. The downside is that Wywires Platinum cable is more expensive.

I also had the BD hardwired by Drew for my T1 and a BD speaker amp cable for my HiFiMan HE6 and they sounded excellent. In both cases, the BD did a great job of taming bright sounding headphones. On the other hand, the Silver Dragon is just not my cup of tea. I tried it years ago when I wanted to to make the LCD 2 more lively sounding but it actually went too far and made a dark sounding headphone way too bright. I owned the Blue Dragon for many years for my HD650 and it’s a good all around medium priced cable. Drew does high quality work and I’ve never had a problem returning one of his cables if it didn’t work out for me.
Old 01-03-2018, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smatsui324 View Post
Moon Audio makes nice cables and I’ve owned or tried all 3 Dragons. However, I’ve moved on and found cables that I like better from Norne, Double Helix, and Wywires. When I bought my Utopia, I bought the Black Dragon and the Wywires Platinum both in a balanced configuration. I ended up returning the BD. Both were good but the Wywires provided a larger soundstage and more precise imaging without any added brightness. The downside is that Wywires Platinum cable is more expensive.

I also had the BD hardwired by Drew for my T1 and a BD speaker amp cable for my HiFiMan HE6 and they sounded excellent. In both cases, the BD did a great job of taming bright sounding headphones. On the other hand, the Silver Dragon is just not my cup of tea. I tried it years ago when I wanted to to make the LCD 2 more lively sounding but it actually went too far and made a dark sounding headphone way too bright. I owned the Blue Dragon for many years for my HD650 and it’s a good all around medium priced cable. Drew does high quality work and I’ve never had a problem returning one of his cables if it didn’t work out for me.
The best I have experienced so far is the Wireworld Nano Platinum Eclipse for my LCD3. I will do a write up on them once I get some more burn in time. Simply outstanding cable.

Last edited by PHC1; 01-03-2018 at 12:49 PM.
Old 01-03-2018, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
The best I have experienced so far is the Wireworld Nano Platinum Eclipse for my LCD3. I will do a write up on them once I get some more burn in time. Simply outstanding cable.
I have 3 main balanced headphone cables, a Wywires Platinum, Norne Draug 2, and a Double Helix Complement 2. All are terminated with mini XLRs on the headphone end. I had Alex from Wywires make 2sets of short adapters with the Platinum wire (with a Utopia connector, the other with a plug for the HiFiMan HEK v2 and AQ Nighthawk), to plug into the mini XLRs.

The adapters allow me to use any of the 3 main cables with my Utopias, HiFiMan HE1000 v2, Audioquest Nighthawk, and any Audeze LCD series headphone. My new HE1000 v2 is on its way to me.