AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > General Audio Discussion

General Audio Discussion All other Audio Q & A

Old 11-28-2018, 03:36 PM

Thumbs up Great post

Tom......Thanks for the explanation. In short, I wasn't sure how these speaker "switch boxes" are typically wired. Considering your explanation, the typical speaker switch box is simply a wired up set of passive switches -- and I'm glad that someone has verified that for me ... and, yes, one would have to be careful about switching one source off before switching to the other.

OUR VINTAGE MAC: MAC4100, MAC4200 | AMPS: MC452, MC300 | MAC PRE/PROS: MX151, MX130, MX121 | B&W SPEAKERS: (2) N802s, (2) N805s, (1) HTM3S | NEWER EQUIPMENT: Oppo 203 & 105D, Sony X800M2, Denon CDR-W1500 | VIDEO DISPLAY: 65" LG OLED | IMPORTANT NOTE: Zero High-speed internet connections
Old 11-28-2018, 03:40 PM

Default Weller

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70sMac View Post
clpetersen......Absolutely, your idea would work great ... but I was hoping that someone manufactured the same thing in an attractive "finished" product. I've got a Mrs. to deal with, so I trust that you understand the reticence to pull out my Weller, the flux and the 60/40 solder. In short, I can definitely make up a switch panel ... but I'm no artist.
I am sure you can do great job! Say between 2am and 4 am some night. Just be sure to remember which end of the iron gets hot.
Main - Roon on Synology/Sonos Port/SoTM Neo endpoints; Chord Qutest, Bryston BP-17 cubed with phono option; EAT C-sharp with Ortofon Bronze MM, Bryston cubed Amplifier; Revel F126Be on custom Atocha stands; interconnects by WireWorld, furniture by Atocha Design 'Phones Audeze LCD-3, Bryston BHA-1; Office: Sonos/Roon; OPPO HA-1, Naim NAP100 and PSB Mini-C. Media Room:, Samsung QLED QN90 series, Sonos, OPPO 205, ATI N-core driving KEF LS-50's with REL subs; furniture by Glassisimo; Kids - U-turn for vinyl, Sonos Play5; Summer Shack - Sonos, vintage Pioneer, Dynaudio Special 40's.
Old 11-28-2018, 04:00 PM

I would strongly discourage making multiple amplifier connections to the switchbox in any way that the outputs can be crossed simply by operator error of the switcher. One slip of the mind and the results can be catastrophic.

Only use an amplifier switcher specifically designed for this purpose and only connect amplifiers to the terminals so designated.

Russound makes a variety of amplifier/speaker switching devices.
Old 11-28-2018, 04:03 PM
Retired

Speaker switch boxes are bi-directional. You could connect your three (3) amp outputs to what would normally be the speaker connections on the switch box and the one (1) pair of speakers to what would normally be the amp connection to the switch box. When you selected "Speaker 1" you would actually be selecting whichever amp or receiver you have connected as "Amp 1", etc.

If you want something of very high quality, then these folks would likely build one to your specification: http://www.goldpt.com/sw4.html
Canton Reference 9 Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 & MR88 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B, ST-J75 & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 11-28-2018, 04:32 PM

That is entirely true however sooner or later the day will come when two "speaker sets" are accidentally selected at the same time with both amplifiers playing carrying potentially disastrous consequences.

A quality amplifier switcher (as opposed to speaker switcher) should be designed so that cross connections between amplifier outputs is impossible. While a ordinary speaker switcher would work, I would not advise using one for switching between amplifiers.

I use a Russound Multiplay unit I bought from Ken Zelin of McIntosh to switch between an MC240 & MC2505 and a pair of Altec 14 & Boston T1000s in any combination using one or both amplifiers.
Old 11-28-2018, 04:53 PM

Default Old Guy Needs Some Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70sMac View Post

DoggieHowser......Is this the speaker switch you're referring to, mate? If so, I'm a bit confused about a couple of things. First, the rear panel seems to accommodate two amps ... but perhaps it would be simpler to ask you how the setup I've described would be connected to this device (keeping in mind that we want to use two separate 2-channel receivers and one pair of B&W N805 8-ohm speakers).

I'd also appreciate some words on how a banana plugs would work here. When I think of banana plugs, I picture pomona leads that [literally] push into a female receptacle (aka, a round hole). Are those removable caps over the rear connections?

Yes, that switch should work. In the front of the switch there should be two buttons. One to select receiver 1 and the other to select receiver two.
A very simple box.
Each amp has a left speaker output and a right output. Each speaker wire has two conductors (positive and negative).
Very simple set up. Only one can play at a time.
Old 11-28-2018, 05:16 PM

Oh well...I tried.
Old 11-28-2018, 06:33 PM

Default Old Guy Needs Some Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62caddy View Post
That is entirely true however sooner or later the day will come when two "speaker sets" are accidentally selected at the same time with both amplifiers playing carrying potentially disastrous consequences.

A quality amplifier switcher (as opposed to speaker switcher) should be designed so that cross connections between amplifier outputs is impossible. While a ordinary speaker switcher would work, I would not advise using one for switching between amplifiers.

I use a Russound Multiplay unit I bought from Ken Zelin of McIntosh to switch between an MC240 & MC2505 and a pair of Altec 14 & Boston T1000s in any combination using one or both amplifiers.

Yep - that is the risk. If the selectors aren’t exclusive (selecting one deselects the other) then you can select both amps and so short the outputs together.

Let ‘em fight it out and see who wins.
Proac Response 1sc Rears,
Three MC2301's for L,C,R
MC 602 for the rears
C 1100, MX 151, MCD 1100, MR 80
Nottingham Dais with Wave Mechanic
Sumiko Palo Santos Presentation

SurfacePro 3, RPi 4, ROON, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

Lake House:
Ohm F, MC 275V, C2300, MR 77, Rega P3

OnDeck:
McIntosh MAC 4300v

Last edited by W9TR; 11-28-2018 at 06:39 PM.
Old 11-28-2018, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W9TR View Post
Yep - that is the risk. If the selectors aren’t exclusive (selecting one deselects the other) then you can select both amps and so short the outputs together.

Let ‘em fight it out and see who wins.
According to the QED, the device is designed that speaker outputs are wired in parallel and the resulting impedance of two 8 ohm speakers is 4 ohms. That is pretty clear indication both speaker outputs may be selected simultaneously.

If OP wants to be safe, something like this is what he should be considering.

https://www.russound.com/products/co...eaker-selector
Old 11-28-2018, 07:03 PM

I pointed out that risk when I suggested that product. Only one amp at any one time

It’s a simple passive device and from what I could see, pretty well built.

It does come with good 5 way speaker terminals. Which means it can accept bare wire, spades and bananas. But as this had to meet EU requirements the banana plugs are capped with plastic end caps. Just pull them out (I use finger nails) and voila banana plugs.

I also noticed sound improvement when I used different types of speaker cables to connect them up. But eventually I used HT bypass and completely set aside the box.

That said, the Russound product seems exactly like what the original poster asked for. And if he can get that locally all the better.