AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Tubes & Valves

Tubes & Valves Upgrades, Spares & General Comments

Old 06-16-2012, 01:58 AM

In my opinion, the best E88CC/6922 for pre CJ are Philips SQ gold pins. They do not cost much and they play very very well. Another very good valve is the 6n23p Russian Voshod Plant (Rocket logo), but they need a break of at least 100 hours.
Old 07-16-2012, 05:01 PM

siemens &amperex.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
I've been doing a little tube rolling this week with my Premier 17, which uses 6922-types (6DJ8 and 7308 are equivalent), and was curious what folks like in the way of 6922s.

The Premier 17 as I bought it came with run-of-the-mill Sovtek 6922s, but this tube actually sounds very nice in the Premier 17, with a nice balance of detail and smoothness. I've got two Amperex 7308s and two GE 6DJ8s on loan and have been mixing and matching those, along with the Sovteks, but still undecided on things. Not sure if I'm going to keep the GEs as they have been cryo'd and sometimes cryo'd tubes can have a hardness to them I'm not crazy about.

I've got Ediswan 2492s in my LP70s, and those are really nice, too.

Curious what the rest of you like....
Hi Puma Cat:
I use this tube in my phono section which makes it easy to hear differences between tubes. I have been fortunate enough to collect over 100 of the best of these types.
My alltime favorite is the Amperex 6922 pinch waist tube from Holland. Very rare and costly (unless you stumble upon some at a hamfest!). I like Amperex in this tube type and prefer the Holland made Amperex and Phillips tubes over the U.S. made tubes. The gold pin Amperex 6922 or Phillips SQ are all pretty good no matter where they were made, while the "bugleboy" and "A-frame" steel pin Amperex 6DJ8 are great value tubes.
The Telefunken steel pin 6DJ8 is also very good and still reasonably priced. Unfortunately, I have yet to find the more costly gold pin Telefunken 6922 so can't comment on them specificly.
The gold pin Seimens E188CC is an interesting alternative, more detailed than the Amperex and Teles but not as rich (musical?). Have not tried the CCa. Not a big fan of the Russian tube or most American 6DJ8s or the Mullards in this tube type. The Matshshita (Japan) is pretty good and often times found labeled "Raytheon". Have not heard the Tesla.
Enjoy the roll!
Old 10-10-2012, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldinohiend View Post
In my opinion, the best E88CC/6922 for pre CJ are Philips SQ gold pins. They do not cost much and they play very very well. Another very good valve is the 6n23p Russian Voshod Plant (Rocket logo), but they need a break of at least 100 hours.
Apparently finding a preamp level 6n23p (rocket logo) tube is very difficult. They are almost always too noisy in a preamp. They are fantastic driver tubes though. Also if you have a low gain preamp they might work good as well. I tried many of them in CJ preamp which are mostly no feedback high gain designs and they were always too noisy. The 6n23p-EB are another story and worked great for me.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
I've been doing a little tube rolling this week with my Premier 17, which uses 6922-types (6DJ8 and 7308 are equivalent), and was curious what folks like in the way of 6922s.

The Premier 17 as I bought it came with run-of-the-mill Sovtek 6922s, but this tube actually sounds very nice in the Premier 17, with a nice balance of detail and smoothness. I've got two Amperex 7308s and two GE 6DJ8s on loan and have been mixing and matching those, along with the Sovteks, but still undecided on things. Not sure if I'm going to keep the GEs as they have been cryo'd and sometimes cryo'd tubes can have a hardness to them I'm not crazy about.

I've got Ediswan 2492s in my LP70s, and those are really nice, too.

Curious what the rest of you like....
Hi Stephen,

I'm very late chiming in on this thread and you most probably have already settled on your choices. There were some excellent suggestions made already but thought I'd add one or two to the mix.

Although I haven't tried the Matsushita 7DJ8, I did recently try some Matsushita 6922s and thought they were excellent in my Premier 16LS2. They're branded National but are from Matsushita and were made with Mullard tooling. You can hear the Amperex lineage for sure. I got them from TubeMonger for $40 apiece which I thought was reasonable given current prices.

Not sure which GE 6DJ8s you were auditioning, but I've found their grey glass type to also mate well with my c-j preamp. I purchased mine used off Ebay but you might be able to locate some NOS. VacuumTubes.Net has some GE's listed and I've found them to be very cooperative if you have a specific request.

Regards,
Old 10-24-2012, 10:39 PM
Just Pure Lucky

Of the many variants of the 6922 type, going to try these in my VAC Signature MK II Preamp -- will start with the Amperex 7308 white stenciled PQ's first -- then the holy grail, yellow stenciled, Dario Miniwatt E188CC's.

Best

Bob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1599.jpg (93.2 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1600.jpg (53.6 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1606.jpg (82.3 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1608.JPG (52.8 KB, 41 views)
Analogue Preamp:VAC Renaissance SE Phono stage in Silver Flake with XLR Output Option & with Nordost Valhalla XLR's.
Analogue Sources:SME 20/2 w/SME V arm & Nordost Odin 2 Tone Arm Cable, Palo Santos Presentation Cartridge & Akai GX-400D Reel-to-Reel w/relapped heads by JRF Magnetic Sciences. Akai RC-17 cabled remote (original owner since 1974).
Vibration Control:TT on HRS M3X2-1921 shelf.
Speakers:Wilson Audio Alexia V (on order in Ferrari Argento Silver/Parchment grills sitting on Acoustic Diode Kit).
Power Cables:4 Nordost Odin Supreme Reference on amps, preamp & DAC. Ansuz Acoustics C2 on Transport & Clock.
Power Distribution:Ansuz Mainz D3 Distributor & Ansuz Mainz C2 1M Power Cable
Power Outlets:Furutech GTX-D NCF (R) duplex outlet, GTX Wall Plate & Duplex Cover (x2) on dedicated, same panel phase, 20A breakers.
Speaker Cables:2M Nordost Odin 2 Supreme Reference on Nordost Sort Lifts. (on Order)
Signal Cables:Nordost Odin XLR's on dCS DAC & Amps.
Digital Cables: Nordost Odin 2's, 110-ohm AES/EBU on dCS Transport to DAC.
Clock Cables:5 each 75 ohm 1.25M Nordost Valhalla BNC/BNC Digital
Ethernet Cable: WireWorld Platinum 1M Starlight® 8 Twinax
Headphones:Vintage Koss Pro IV AA.
RCM: Audio Desk PRO
Tube Test Gear:Mint late '60's/calibrated Heathkit TT-1A, MaxiMatcher Power Amp & Preamp & Space Tech Labs ATT-3.02 tube test sets.

Last edited by vintage_tube; 10-25-2012 at 08:14 AM.
Old 11-13-2012, 07:03 PM

What 6550 tube is the best for the ARC Ref pre-amp 3 or 5?
The 6550c, as the ARC website is mentioning?
Or the 6550we? Or the Tung Sol tube?

Who has experienced these tubes in their ARC Pre-amp?

Thanks and greetings from Holland.
Sander.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:13 AM

I just won a quad set of Amperex 6DJ8 A-getter tubes. Can't wait to try them.
Old 06-18-2013, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riesling View Post
Go for NOS tubes from Telefunken, Siemens, or Philips. They have different characters but all are worth a try. My preferred ones in the entry stage of my Copland are the Philips ECC188, hard to find, expensive but...completely satisfying
I use Siemens E288CC in a matched pair in my Schiit Lyr headphone amp.
Avid Acutus SP, NO ARM, Benz Micro LP-S, Whest Audio PS.40RDT SE, PS Audio DSMP+DS DAC, Simaudio Moon 700i, Dali Epicon 6, Simaudio Moon Nēo 430HAD, HiFiMan HE-1000v2, Chord Sarum SA XLR, RCA, USB, Chord Sarum speaker, Nordost Vishnu power, Furutech plugs, PS Audio P10+Chord Sarum SA power, Stillpoints Ultra SS, Ultra Mini and LPI, HiFi Racks rack, Audio Desk Systeme PRO+Keith Monks Omni RCM

Last edited by John49; 07-03-2013 at 03:12 AM.
Old 07-05-2013, 12:23 PM

I'm looking forward to trying out a new quad set of 6922 tubes for my preamp. They are original TESLA E88CC / 6922 tubes, vintage 1968/1969 tubes made at TESLA Vrchlabi plant in the former Czechoslovakia, and feature gold pins, yellow print, grey shield between systems, large O getter, and copper system posts - very similar in construction to the Siemens E88CC/CCa. These tubes were selected for military purposes and wear the crossed swords logo of the former Czechoslovakian army. I hope they work well in the first stage of the LS5 displacing the Amperex 7308 quad set to the second stage.

Last edited by cma29; 09-28-2013 at 12:53 AM.