AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Home Theater

Home Theater Novice to Sublime

Old 05-25-2015, 03:19 AM

Default Using Oppo BD-player instead of pre-pro???

My interest is primarily HT with some digital audio music. At this point in time, the only input into my MX150 pre-pro is one measly HDMI connection from my OPPO BD-player in which Blu-ray audio tracks are bit-streamed to the pre-pro, decoded and sent to the amplifiers. IMHO, one HDMI connection with the video going to an HDTV or FP seems like such a waste of resources considering the number and kinds of inputs and outputs on the MX150, except for the Lyngdorf Room Perfect room correction.

Since my needs are rather limited other than quality, how would this work : using the Oppo BDP-105 which contains their headphone amp with high quality DAC, and 7.1 analog outputs (ignoring the HDMI outputs for audio) --let the Oppo do the audio processing, use quality analog cables to the 5 amplifiers a short distance away and the subs that are some distance away (hum is a concern since balanced cables are now used), use the speaker setup in the Oppo menu system and use the volume control for the Oppo.

Would the Oppo used as described, with its high quality DACs, work as a suitable pre-pro for movies and digital audio music? What are the flaws in my aged thinking?

Thoughts/opinions??

Thanks, Mike
MX150, MC501's (3), MC352's (2), Aerial Acoustics Model 9's for mains, Aerial Acoustics CC5 for center, and Def Tech surrounds, JL Audio F113's (2) with Sound Anchor Stands, 60 inch Pioneer Kuro, Tivos, Monster HTPS 7000MKII, Oppo BDP-83SE, PS3; dedicated HT still under construction [system used primarily for movies].
Old 05-25-2015, 07:23 AM

Mike I had an mx121 oppo and mc205. I tested and found no real sonic benefit to the 121 ( to my ears!) for movies. I have since moved to two channel set up and a preamp is a must and the oppo cannot beat my esoteric k03x. I know the 151 has better electronics than the 121 so I would listen carefully before getting rid of it, but can it be done, yes.
Old 05-26-2015, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSp View Post
My interest is primarily HT with some digital audio music. At this point in time, the only input into my MX150 pre-pro is one measly HDMI connection from my OPPO BD-player in which Blu-ray audio tracks are bit-streamed to the pre-pro, decoded and sent to the amplifiers. IMHO, one HDMI connection with the video going to an HDTV or FP seems like such a waste of resources considering the number and kinds of inputs and outputs on the MX150, except for the Lyngdorf Room Perfect room correction.

Since my needs are rather limited other than quality, how would this work : using the Oppo BDP-105 which contains their headphone amp with high quality DAC, and 7.1 analog outputs (ignoring the HDMI outputs for audio) --let the Oppo do the audio processing, use quality analog cables to the 5 amplifiers a short distance away and the subs that are some distance away (hum is a concern since balanced cables are now used), use the speaker setup in the Oppo menu system and use the volume control for the Oppo.

Would the Oppo used as described, with its high quality DACs, work as a suitable pre-pro for movies and digital audio music? What are the flaws in my aged thinking?

Thoughts/opinions??

Thanks, Mike
I'm doing that exactly with my 105
Old 05-26-2015, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldar View Post

I'm doing that exactly with my 105
Sorry,i hit send too soon. For my theater, i am using an Oppo BDP-105D going directly into my amps using the variable audio outputs. I have an Xbox in one of the hdmi inputs and the comcast box will be in the other when i pick it up this week. I've also connected a Sonos to the optical audio input and at least to my ears it sounds great. One big reason i did this setup is to simplify the control, my wife is already used to the oppo remote.

Last edited by goldar; 05-26-2015 at 01:46 AM.
Old 05-26-2015, 03:39 AM

I think a fundamental aspect is the importance of the room correction DSP you currently have.

The first step would be to turn it off, as that will then be much closer to what you would hear with the Oppo acting as your AV processor. If you are just as happy with the sound of the system without room correction, then that would make the decision to go with a newer Oppo as the processor easier to make. But it may well be that the bass response without the Lyngdorf RP is not so palatable?