AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Turntables & Vinyl > Turntables & Tonearms

Turntables & Tonearms Where Analog still Rules

Old 06-29-2017, 12:59 AM
Living La Vida Vinyl

Default First Sounds: Grand Prix Audio Monaco 2.0 Turntable

More than a year since its debut at CES 2016, here is more information, some comparison of the Monaco 1.5 with the 2.0, along with brief sonic impressions. Now at The Audio Beat: First Sounds: Grand Prix Audio Monaco 2.0.

My understanding has it (no promises) that Roy Gregory will do a full review to be published later this year.

Let me know what you think.

Last edited by tima; 06-29-2017 at 01:19 AM.
Old 06-30-2017, 08:12 AM

I think I want one .
Old 07-04-2017, 08:43 AM
Retired

Looks like a high-end bicycle or vehicle part (carbon fiber composite). As a DD fan, I would also like to have one. But.............
Canton Reference 9 Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 & MR88 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B, ST-J75 & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 07-04-2017, 08:56 AM

uglier than sin .......
Old 07-04-2017, 04:33 PM
Living La Vida Vinyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 View Post
Looks like a high-end bicycle or vehicle part (carbon fiber composite). As a DD fan, I would also like to have one. But.............
Designer Alvin Lloyd had a long successful career in Formula 1 auto racing.
Old 07-04-2017, 05:28 PM
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikado463 View Post
uglier than sin .......
Says a man who drives a plastic car.
Canton Reference 9 Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 & MR88 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B, ST-J75 & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 07-15-2017, 02:30 AM
Living La Vida Vinyl

When Jeff Dorgay reviewed the GPA Monaco 2.0 in the 7/17 edition of TONEAudio he wrote: "I think it’s the world’s best turntable..." and other positive comments.

Last edited by tima; 07-15-2017 at 05:21 AM.
Old 07-15-2017, 08:07 PM
Old & New - Carpe Diem

I have a problem getting past the look.
Regards,
Jim
Old 07-16-2017, 03:51 AM
Living La Vida Vinyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehoove View Post
I have a problem getting past the look.
Regards,
Jim
I hear you Jim. Some folks imprinted on the classic round platter in square box, some like shiny metal bling, some prefer a nice wood plinth encapsulating the entire mechanism. Looks play a big role in what attracts the eye and for some it can be a competitive factor in a crowded market. The looks of turntables vary more than other component except maybe speakers. I had (still have) a Teres table with a large cocobolo plinth, platter and armboard. It was all very beautiful wood with a massy look to it. By contrast, to my eyes the Monaco is totally different, it looks modernistic. In a way its kinda like certain automobiles that look quite different in the showroom than in the magazine.

As with every audio product I've run across you just can't tell how it will perform and sound based on how it looks.

In the case of the Monaco, form follows function - its no bigger than it needs to be. The rigid double-wall carbon fiber plinth is filled with a vibration damping polymer between the walls. It is precision machined, compact and low slung. Around 40lbs sans armboard, it's heavier than it looks but it is not a high mass design. The three conical feet are also designed for vibration isolation and stability while making it simple to get the platter perfectly level.

I hope you get a chance for an extended listen someday - even if it's with your eyes closed. :-)

My brief coverage was not a full review so less opportunity for sonic impressions. Jim, knowing at least some of the type of music you and I both like, here's a snippet I'm copying from my listening notes: "At the end of Summer, I'm unconsciously pumping my fist in the air - this is like a prog-rock power ballad. You don't think of Vivaldi's Four Seasons as a bass power presentation, but the v2 keeps opening doors. I sense no baroque thinness of tone or tenor. Being the backbone of the analog front-end we're less likely to be consciously aware of the structure and solidity behind the motive force as the table lays down the track and turns the engine that propels the music forward, but its there. The differences between the oval and square label Argos are so obvious, the oval is sweeter, clearer with a more verberant acoustic envelope." Marriner & the ACSMF, The Four Seasons, two versions of ZRG-654.