AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Aurender

Aurender Reference Music Servers

Old 03-05-2017, 07:06 AM

Default Aurender N10 Caching Music Server review

From reading the review I see that the N10 has its own storage but it also can connect to a NAS. From my perspective, I would much rather avoid using the hard drives inside the N10 and just have the N10 access all my files already in the NAS. In other words, using the N10 as a bridge that connects the files in the NAS (plus Tidal) to a DAC.
Question for those familiar with Aurender and the Conductor App: Any experience on how well the Conductor App manages the files stored in the NAS? In other words, can the Conductor App have full functionality (I.e., search, sort, etc) even though the files are not stored in its internal drive?

Last edited by nicoff; 03-05-2017 at 01:03 PM.
Old 03-05-2017, 02:54 PM
Merry Christmas to all

nicoff.......I don't know why you would be reluctant to use the internal hard drives in the N10 music server. These hard drives do not run 24/7 like your NAS is likely to be doing. Once loaded the internal hard drives are put into sleep mode and only spin when loading files to the 254GB SSD that you access for playback through the Conductor App. It is not unlikely the hard drives in the N10 will outlast your NAS hard drives by a considerable margin of time.

(From the Aurender website) Aurender models W20 and X100L offer up to 12TB of internal HDD storage. Using Aurender's internal HDD storage is the easiest way to import, manage and enjoy your music library. However, if you already have your music library stored on a NAS drive, Aurender Conductor can now access your NAS drive content with full support of metadata and album art. Download AMM (Aurender Music Management) to your computer from the Aurender website for the scanning of meta-tags of files located on the NAS. AMM is now available for Mac and Windows. Please refer to the AMM manual on the Aurender website for additional information.

http://www.aurender.com/page/download

http://www.aurender.com/page/ammguide3x

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A

Last edited by jdandy; 03-05-2017 at 03:27 PM.
Old 03-05-2017, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
nicoff.......I don't know why you would be reluctant to use the internal hard drives in the N10 music server. These hard drives do not run 24/7 like your NAS is likely to be doing. Once loaded the internal hard drives are put into sleep mode and only spin when loading files to the 254GB SSD that you access for playback through the Conductor App. It is not unlikely the hard drives in the N10 will outlast your NAS hard drives by a considerable margin of time.

(From the Aurender website) Aurender models W20 and X100L offer up to 12TB of internal HDD storage. Using Aurender's internal HDD storage is the easiest way to import, manage and enjoy your music library. However, if you already have your music library stored on a NAS drive, Aurender Conductor can now access your NAS drive content with full support of metadata and album art. Download AMM (Aurender Music Management) to your computer from the Aurender website for the scanning of meta-tags of files located on the NAS. AMM is now available for Mac and Windows. Please refer to the AMM manual on the Aurender website for additional information.

http://www.aurender.com/page/download

http://www.aurender.com/page/ammguide3x

Thank you for the response Dan. I used to own a Sony music server (HAP-1ZES) that had an internal hard drive.

I started by loading my files from the NAS into the Sony. But one issue that I found was that if I made any changes to the files in the Sony or the NAS (say album art or track name correction etc) that change did not transfer to the other location automatically. In the end, I ended up with two databases and none of them was likely up to date.

I sold the Sony and I am not certain that all the changes that I made in the Sony or viceversa were transferred to the Other location.

So I figured that in order to avoid such problems, I should keep one database that I always know that it is up to date. That is why I want the App to keep my files location and formats together.

For example, I may have three copies of an album. One resides inside an iTunes library (say AAC or MP3), another resides in the NAS (24/96), the third is a Tidal version (16/44) that I added to my library. When I do a search with the App, I would like the App to show all three albums. Then I pick what I want to play.
Old 03-13-2017, 01:23 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Update

As you can see in the photo above, the Aurender N10 has a new Esoteric K-01X playmate. These two premium components make a spectacular pair. I have just over 1200 hours on the Aurender N10 and 582 hours on the Esoteric K-01X. Upgrading to the K-01X created a substantial performance improvement over the Esoteric K-03. The N10 performance was instantly elevated to a higher level of richly textured, holistic sound. The Aurender N10 and the Esoteric K-01X are a match made in audio heaven. Listening to this sound system has taken on an entirely new level a realism. Last night I spent nearly four hours enjoying song after song without a thought of the equipment, only the music. This morning I couldn't help but remark again to Marlene how astonishing the studio system has become. It is exciting and motivates me to spend lots of time parked in the sweet spot. The Aurender N10's presentation has opened up so well. Coupled with the Esoteric K-01X DAC, the N10 presents the most analog sounding digital performance I have ever experienced. The Aurender Conductor app has become second nature for me. It is fun to use. Building playlists is a blast. I have created five playlists so far of nearly 100 songs from favorite artists. It is such a pleasure to call up a playlist and have hours of great music performed in a fabulous three dimensional sound stage right in front of me.

These are great times for an audio enthusiast. I am in awe of these amazing audio components and the sound of my studio system. In addition, my new custom sized acoustic art panel over the widescreen television brought greater focus and depth to the sound stage and provides a more pleasant view than staring at a black TV screen. Swapping that ivory colored acoustic panel above the widescreen for a maroon colored acoustic panel helped bring the aesthetics together, too. The studio system with the Aurender N10 and the Esoteric K-01X has raised the performance bar to a brand new level.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A

Last edited by jdandy; 03-13-2017 at 04:29 PM.
Old 03-17-2017, 09:49 AM

Hi Dan.
I'm very happy to know that your system is going better and better as time runs !!!
I see you're using the Aurender most of the time as source.
It is very interesting the RCA output puts the N10 as master clock.
Have you tried the AES output?
That option puts the N10 as master clock too?
On those months of experience you would consider a W20 to an Esoteric D02X on Dual Aes output?
I don't know if the clock is the same on the two models.
I'm considering to purchase a W20 but i have doubts between N10.
Sorry for so many questions....
Regards...
Old 03-17-2017, 12:07 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Nacho.......The Aurender N10's oven controlled crystal oscillator (OCXO) clock controls the timing for all the SPDIF digital outputs, coaxial, AES/EBU, and Toslink. The USB output is not controlled by the same clock. As I understand it, there are two additional clocks inside the N10 that perform other timing tasks, but the ultra precise OCXO clock is dedicated to the SPDIF outputs.

From my research I believe the Aurender W20 uses the same Field Programmable Gate Array-based all digital Phase Locked Loop system with the (OCXO) clock for its SPDIF digital outputs as the N10. What does not appeal to me about the W20 is the batteries that provide power for its operation. I respect the engineering concept to maintain the purest DC power that is unaffected by the AC main, as well as battery back-up in the event of a power loss, but multiple batteries spell future headaches to me. Now that I have had ample time enjoying the Aurender N10's astonishing performance level I would not be inclined to spend the extra money for a W20. The N10 performance level is top shelf.

I have not tried the AES/EBU digital output on the N10 primarily because my Esoteric K-01X does not provide and AES/EBU input to the DAC. If the K-01X did have that input I would probably give it a try. I have no qualms with the N10 digital coaxial output, a Wireworld Platinum Starlight digital cable, and the K-01X coaxial input. The sound is totally engaging. I have no desire to move up the Esoteric or the Aurender product line. I am completely satisfied with the Aurender N10 and the Esoteric K-01X.

Old 03-17-2017, 02:30 PM

Thank you very much Dan !!!
I have emailed to Aurender to really understand questions about OCXO, motherboard, etc.. differences between models and battery life expected.
I don't want to change the original post line. I think that will be interesting to understand better the N10 specifications.

Last edited by Nacho; 03-17-2017 at 02:50 PM.
Old 03-20-2017, 07:44 PM

Here is the answer:

* What is the battery life expected?
-The LiFEPO4 Batteries have an life expectancy of over 20 years. There are three banks; one powering the audio board, the other acting as a UPS, and the third charging. Each bank is cycled through each state.

* Can i do the replacement when they would be empty?
- Based on the above, I don't think you will have to worry about replacement of the batteries.

* What difference are between OCXO clocks on both models?
- The OCXO clock is the same in the N10 and W20.

* What accuracy clock have i to put to really improve the W20 sound?
- Since using an external word clock is more about noise reduction, and each clock has different operating frequencies, we can’t say what accuracy level is better than the internal clock on the W20.

* What is the bit rate on Dual Aes output?
- The Dual AES/EBU output supports up to 24/192khz (24/96 on each channel).

* Do you recommend this option to drive my Esoteric D02X vs USB?
- We've found many end users prefer many different configurations depending on the system and the DAC, but in general the Dual AES/EBU option is the best sounding.

* Will be the W20 upgradeable to the future new model?
- We don't have a plan for a future model yet, so there are also no plans for offering an upgrade to the W20.

* How many Ram storage have each model?
- Both the N10 and W20 have a 240GB SSD for caching files for playback.

* Could i change the HHD to SSD?
- We don't support changing the HDD's to SSD's.

* Could you explain more profoundly the difference between these two models?
- In general, the differences between the W20 and N10 are going to come down to the resolution of your system and also the capability of the connected equipment. If not using the word clock input or Dual AES output on the W20, the main differences between the W20 and N10 are the power supply and the chassis construction. The HDD’s are encased in an aluminum enclosure in the W20 to reduce noise, and the chassis is also quite a bit better insulated from external vibration. The W20';s battery power supply isolates the audio board from external AC line noise and the SMPS allows us to use larger 3.5" hard disks for increased storage capacity. If you are able to use the Dual AES and word clock options, there is no doubt the W20 is a much better performance product than the N10; if not able to use these features, the sound quality differences may be subtle or they may be profound depending on the system.

Last edited by Nacho; 03-21-2017 at 08:54 AM.
Old 03-20-2017, 10:14 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Nacho.......Thanks for that additional information direct from Aurender. It pretty well sums up what I knew with the exception of better chassis insulation and the 20 year lifespan of the batteries. I believe I made the right choice for my system with the N10 caching music server. I believe the Aurender N10 is the sweet spot for price versus performance in their music server lineup. I just got finished with a three hour listening session that was riveting. Love my N10.

Old 03-21-2017, 04:06 AM

I'm with you Dan.
Even from Aurender recommends the N10 over W20 in your case.