AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Krell

Krell Leader in Audio Engineering

Old 08-15-2013, 04:54 PM

I currently have Phantom III as preamp, and I feel it is much better than C50, C2300, and C2500 - all of which I had owned. Maybe it is just "different" but I like Phantom better. I did A/B between Phantom III and C2500 and the difference was pronounced.
I have been thinking of consolidating HT and 2ch with Foundation, but my dealer tells me Phantom III would be better than Foundation, and even maybe better than S1200 for 2ch.
But from what I hear Foundation seems very good. No bells and whistles, just pure sonic.
I am more temped to get one as days pass by...

Last edited by SteveK; 08-15-2013 at 06:50 PM.
Old 08-16-2013, 01:48 AM
Ice Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkad View Post
So the overall strengths of the Foundation as preamp trump the warmth of the C50? Just curious. I came very close to going with two box solution with Mac C50 and Marantz av 8801. I picked up the av8801 first, but unlike many, just couldn't warm up to its sound. While i wouldnt have had to deal with it in 2ch, i didnt care for it in mch, and i really like my BR and DVD concerts. Even with movies I wasn't thrilled. Maybe it was just me and perhaps an inability to properly set up the Marantz. In any event, I broke down and bought the Foundations big brother, the Krell S1200 because i could not wait for the Foundation to be released. Al I can say is wow, the S1200 as a preamp is fantastic, and absolutely blows away the Marantz (as one would hope given the price differential). I sometimes wonder how a standalone preamp would sound comparatively, hence my question on the C50 vs the Foundation. Glad you are enjoying it. Seems like Krell has hit a homerun with the Foundation.
The C50 to me sounded warmer but lack detail of the KF. KF presentation is much deeper and blacker background. But I like the KF better than the C50 after comparing both in 2 channel. I plan to use KF solely for movies only though. I will always have a separate 2 channel pre amp but now I'm having a second thoughts on C50.

In my experience,, Marantz will not compete with either C50 and KF in 2 channel listening. KF however amazed me on HT presentation, soundstage is great, vocal is so crystal clear and bass was accurate. KF brings a new level of my home theater experience. It was the first time I saw my wife jolt from her seat after hearing a unexpected gun shot firing during the scene, it was that good! Not to mention, the color is more vivid and sharper thanks to its new and improved HDMI technology. I can assure one thing that KF may surpass the S1200, is its HDMI technology. It was confirmed by krell tech staff that KF HDMI is better. But can't agree more that the s1200 performs better in 2 channel set up.

I'm so impress with krell foundation, now Krell Phantom III is on my target list. Furthermore, KF is so easy to configure and the ARES was helpful and really cool feature.

MC601x2;MC303x1;MC150x1;C50; KRELL Foundation;OPPO95;SONY XA5400;MAC MINI;B&W802D; HTM2D;DB1X2; TANTRA 6.1 X4. JVC RS 45; SI ZERO EDGE.
Old 08-16-2013, 01:52 AM
Ice Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveK View Post
I currently have Phantom III as preamp, and I feel it is much better than C50, C2300, and C2500 - all of which I had owned. Maybe it is just "different" but I like Phantom better. I did A/B between Phantom III and C2500 and the difference was pronounced.
I have been thinking of consolidating HT and 2ch with Foundation, but my dealer tells me Phantom III would be better than Foundation, and even maybe better than S1200 for 2ch.
But from what I hear Foundation seems very good. No bells and whistles, just pure sonic.
I am more temped to get one as days pass by...
Did you get the DAC? What amp do you have? I may go all Krell? What you think?

MC601x2;MC303x1;MC150x1;C50; KRELL Foundation;OPPO95;SONY XA5400;MAC MINI;B&W802D; HTM2D;DB1X2; TANTRA 6.1 X4. JVC RS 45; SI ZERO EDGE.
Old 08-16-2013, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtan View Post
The C50 to me sounded warmer but lack detail of the KF. KF presentation is much deeper and blacker background. But I like the KF better than the C50 after comparing both in 2 channel. I plan to use KF solely for movies only though. I will always have a separate 2 channel pre amp but now I'm having a second thoughts on C50.

In my experience,, Marantz will not compete with either C50 and KF in 2 channel listening. KF however amazed me on HT presentation, soundstage is great, vocal is so crystal clear and bass was accurate. KF brings a new level of my home theater experience. It was the first time I saw my wife jolt from her seat after hearing a unexpected gun shot firing during the scene, it was that good! Not to mention, the color is more vivid and sharper thanks to its new and improved HDMI technology. I can assure one thing that KF may surpass the S1200, is its HDMI technology. It was confirmed by krell tech staff that KF HDMI is better. But can't agree more that the s1200 performs better in 2 channel set up.

I'm so impress with krell foundation, now Krell Phantom III is on my target list. Furthermore, KF is so easy to configure and the ARES was helpful and really cool feature.
Is that the Marantz 8801 or the 7005 to which you're referring to ?
Old 08-16-2013, 02:41 AM
Ice Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiofan1 View Post

Is that the Marantz 8801 or the 7005 to which you're referring to ?
AV7005. I have no experience with 8801 almost bought one but glad I picked the KF.

Old 08-16-2013, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Did you get the DAC? What amp do you have? I may go all Krell? What you think?
Currently, I have both 302e and MC601's (Also C2500, Phantomiii). I have been doing A/B for past couple weeks. As I said before, I am partial to Krell sound. At low to moderate volumes, they both sound very similar with Krell having a bit more detail and wider soundstage. Mcintosh has more warm and romantic sound. At loud volume, 302e knocks 601's off their feet. The ability to dig deeper into lower bass registers and overall control sends chills down the spine. Most of all, 302e presents each instrument as distinct entity in its own soundstage during busy passages. 601's begin to pancake some sounds together during busy music passage as volume goes up. I guess that's why people call Krell analytical, but I call it "true reproduction."

I use PS Audio MKII with bridge. I'm not a big fan of built in DAC...
Old 08-16-2013, 10:24 AM
Ice Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveK View Post
Currently, I have both 302e and MC601's (Also C2500, Phantomiii). I have been doing A/B for past couple weeks. As I said before, I am partial to Krell sound. At low to moderate volumes, they both sound very similar with Krell having a bit more detail and wider soundstage. Mcintosh has more warm and romantic sound. At loud volume, 302e knocks 601's off their feet. The ability to dig deeper into lower bass registers and overall control sends chills down the spine. Most of all, 302e presents each instrument as distinct entity in its own soundstage during busy passages. 601's begin to pancake some sounds together during busy music passage as volume goes up. I guess that's why people call Krell analytical, but I call it "true reproduction."

I use PS Audio MKII with bridge. I'm not a big fan of built in DAC...
Thanks for sharing. Does the 302e gets really hot when running for long hours? Have you had experience with 600e?

Old 08-16-2013, 11:18 AM

Quote:

No doubt HDMI is better on KF. I would bet that in most cases, the Foundation may even beat the S1200 in HT due to the ease of the ARES automated room correction. I have not played with the manual EQ on the S1200 as it is way too complicated and would require measuring equipment. Some day I may get a pro in to set it up, but just enjoying it too much as is right now. Congrats and enjoy the KF!
Speakers: Canton Ref K3
Old 08-16-2013, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkad View Post
No doubt HDMI is better on KF. I would bet that in most cases, the Foundation may even beat the S1200 in HT due to the ease of the ARES automated room correction. I have not played with the manual EQ on the S1200 as it is way too complicated and would require measuring equipment. Some day I may get a pro in to set it up, but just enjoying it too much as is right now. Congrats and enjoy the KF!
Not according to the Krell folks. I had long conversations with both Pete Mackay and Bill McKiegan, and they both confirm that audio and video via hdmi is much better on the S-1200.

Dave
Old 08-16-2013, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thezaks View Post
Not according to the Krell folks. I had long conversations with both Pete Mackay and Bill McKiegan, and they both confirm that audio and video via hdmi is much better on the S-1200.

Dave
Interesting. They made a big deal about the new advanced HDMI technology they employ in the KF, so I assumed the HDMI would be better. Perhaps it is only better in functionality and responsiveness as opposed to SQ, which would make sense.
Speakers: Canton Ref K3