AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > Music

Music What really matters most

Old 08-14-2018, 09:25 PM

Default Schubert: Symphony No. 9, 'The Great'

Just got this...

Schubert: Symphony No. 9 in C major, D944 'The Great'
London Symphony Orchestra, Josef Krips

...and it sounds amazing. This is an Analogue Productions SACD remastering from a recording done in 1958. From the first few bars, the music seems to burst out of the speakers like an untamed stallion. The performance is quite good too. I recommend this

I found this in the web
Quote:
The 1978 Penguin Guide to LPs wrote, "Josef Krips never made a finer record than this ... The performance itself has a direct, unforced spontaneity, which shows Krips' natural feeling for Schubertian lyricism at its most engaging. The playing is polished yet flexible, strong without ever sounding aggressive. In the two final movements Krips finds an airy exhilaration which makes one wonder however other conductors can keep the music earthbound as they do. The pointing of the trio in the scherzo is delectable, and the feathery lightness of the triplets in the finale makes one positively welcome every single one of its many repetitions. As a whole this reading represents the Viennese tradition at its very finest."

This is one of the most respected and revered performances of Schubert's "Great" Symphony because of its combination of Krips' passion and classicism.
Old 08-15-2018, 04:18 AM
Life is beautiful

Quote:
Originally Posted by cma29 View Post
Just got this...

Schubert: Symphony No. 9 in C major, D944 'The Great'
London Symphony Orchestra, Josef Krips

...and it sounds amazing. This is an Analogue Productions SACD remastering from a recording done in 1958. From the first few bars, the music seems to burst out of the speakers like an untamed stallion. The performance is quite good too. I recommend this

I found this in the web

I have it as CD.
In the Decca Analogue Years Stereo box.
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 08-15-2018, 08:01 AM
Life is beautiful

Joseph Bodin de Boismortier - La Veloutée - Sonatas for flute and harpsichord
Les Buffardins
via Qobuz

I heard something from this ensemble earlier today on the radio.
Streaming now this 2005 set.
Ideal music to accompany lunch.
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 08-16-2018, 02:43 PM

Default Schubert: Piano Quintet 'The Trout'

Today I went back to an old disc..

Schubert: Piano Quintet in A major, D667 'The Trout'
András Schiff (piano)
members of the Hagen Quartet with Alois Posch (double bass)

...which I got in the 1980s and it sounds as fresh as ever. The recording is top-notch Decca.
Old 08-17-2018, 10:57 PM
Retired

Claudio Arrau, "Chopin: The Nocturnes 1-21". Beautiful piano work.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Arrau.jpg (79.6 KB, 65 views)
Canton Reference 9 Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 & MR88 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B, ST-J75 & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 08-19-2018, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 View Post
Claudio Arrau, "Chopin: The Nocturnes 1-21". Beautiful piano work.

One of my favorite recordings of the Nocturnes.
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2
Old 08-19-2018, 08:57 PM

Jacques Ibert: Orchestral Works - “Neeme Järvi Conducts Ibert”
Orchestre de la Suisse Romande
Chandos (2016), 24/96 files

Very nice recording and performance.

D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2
Old 08-21-2018, 12:24 PM

Waiting for me when I got back from an Alaskan cruise was this LP, one of my all-time favorites that fell victim to the great LP purge many years ago (I bought it on CD when it became available). The sound and playing are both phenomenal. (He plays a groundbreaking transcription of Bach's 6th Partita BWV 830 and several lute works by David Kellner.) It was a nice antidote to two rather unpleasant discoveries: our luggage was never delivered from the port in Seattle to the airport (they finally decided to send them to us via FedEx), and my new computer would not boot. I took it back to Costco and got another one. So far , so good!

Old 08-21-2018, 01:14 PM
Life is beautiful

Very nice versions of some old Bach warhorses by Bruno Cocset and his 'Les Basses Réunies':

Old 08-21-2018, 05:24 PM
Life is beautiful

Jacques Arcadett - Madrigali - Chansons - Motetti
Cappella Mediterranea
Doulce Mémoire
Choeur de Chambre de Namur

via Qobuz

New release.
An unknown composer to me, but I knew the ensembles, so I guessed I was in for a treat.
I proved to be right.
This composer from Namur (Belgium) is magnificently brought by 3 ensembles here (from Belgium, France and Switzerland).
His style is close to Josquin Desprez.
I'm listening to CD 1 now.

Brought up in the French-Flamish tradition but fed with the milk of Renaissance Italian madrigalism since he was about eighteen years old, Jacques Arcadelt (1507-1568) left behind him many gems whose importance has been realized only recently. Let’s acclaim this magnificent album gathering the Chœur de Chambre de Namur, the ensemble Doulce Mémoire and the Cappella Mediterranea, to give us not the complete marigals, songs and motets by Arcadelt, of course, but a large selection of his most stupefying pieces. These are thus madrigals from his First and Fourth Books released during his Italian years around 1540, songs from the various Livres de Chansons (Books of Songs) released between 1550 and 1565 when he was living in Paris, and motets from various eras in his career—mostly Italian, a bit French too since he moved from court to court depending on the jobs, the political assassinations, the change in alliances and, generally, the implausible chaos between the various power players at the time. As a nod, we also hear an Ave Maria “according to Arcadelt”, in truth an imitation by Louis Dietsch, a composer from the 19th Century, and the comical Ave Maria d’Arcadelt … by Liszt, inspired by the Dietsch imitation, for solo organ, an exercise in returning to your ancient roots like people loved to imagine them during the Romantic era. We could even wonder if Saint-Saëns didn’t use the head of the main theme to recycle it into his ”Organ” Symphony, incidentally. © SM/Qobuz