AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Inspire by Dennis Had

Inspire by Dennis Had Enjoying Vacuum Tube Audio

Old 08-15-2018, 08:44 PM

Did some listening today do different rectifiers in my SEP FireBottle, and have found that with KT-88's, I like my old Blackburn Mullard 5AR4 best with my speakers (Green Mountain Audio Chroma HX).

Next I plan to try some 6L6GC RCA black plate tubes. Anyone know which rectifier would be best suited to start with? I was thinking a 5U4?... I assume the 5AR4 would be too much voltage drop for the 6L6GC tubes, but that's an ignorant guess. What do you guys run for rectifiers with 6L6GC's?

Thanks again for all the help and suggestions! I really enjoy this forum.
Old 08-15-2018, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breakdown7 View Post
Did some listening today do different rectifiers in my SEP FireBottle, and have found that with KT-88's, I like my old Blackburn Mullard 5AR4 best with my speakers (Green Mountain Audio Chroma HX).

Next I plan to try some 6L6GC RCA black plate tubes. Anyone know which rectifier would be best suited to start with? I was thinking a 5U4?... I assume the 5AR4 would be too much voltage drop for the 6L6GC tubes, but that's an ignorant guess. What do you guys run for rectifiers with 6L6GC's?

Thanks again for all the help and suggestions! I really enjoy this forum.
You can never go wrong with 274 (A or B, depending on your socket configuration). IMHO, it is the most versatile of them all and sounds great, especially with output tubes smaller than KT88's (i.e., ideal for 6L6 or 6p3se, and smaller ones like the 6V6 GT). Sophia Electric Mesh Plate is highly recommended. YMMV.
Old 08-17-2018, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radio times View Post
A multitude of post's have been mayflies, fluttering for barely a day or two, yet Dennis stands triumphant in the front rank for decades. I've just gotta have some Had amp action myself now.
There is a used amp and LP3a preamp from the same seller, not me, on the auction site for a very good price.
Old 08-17-2018, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musica Amantem View Post
You can never go wrong with 274 (A or B, depending on your socket configuration). IMHO, it is the most versatile of them all and sounds great, especially with output tubes smaller than KT88's (i.e., ideal for 6L6 or 6p3se, and smaller ones like the 6V6 GT). Sophia Electric Mesh Plate is highly recommended. YMMV.
Thanks so much. I have an NOS Tung-Sol 274B put away that I need to dig up. Those Sophia Mesh Plates look so nice aesthetically...one of those is in my future at some point. I'd like to run one of those Sophia 274B Mesh plates in the back of my PSE. It would look good back there. Beings its an IIPS edition, I don't think the rectifiers matter much at all in the circuit, from what I understand.
Old 08-17-2018, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Beings its an IIPS edition, I don't think the rectifiers matter much at all in the circuit, from what I understand.
Sure, I was just answering your original question based on my own experience.
Old 08-17-2018, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musica Amantem View Post
Sure, I was just answering your original question based on my own experience.
Yes, I realized that and very much appreciate it. I'm having fun listening to all these different tubes. Just didn't want to cause any damage to my FireBottle or PSE by running the wrong rectifier with certain output tubes. You guys have all been so helpful.
Old 08-17-2018, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Yes, I realized that and very much appreciate it. I'm having fun listening to all these different tubes. Just didn't want to cause any damage to my FireBottle or PSE by running the wrong rectifier with certain output tubes. You guys have all been so helpful.

Stick with direct heated Rectifiers in your PSE (or any amp with IIPS and ss rectification). Indirect will not hurt but it does raise the noise floor per Dennis.
Old 08-17-2018, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearCityUSA View Post
Stick with direct heated Rectifiers in your PSE (or any amp with IIPS and ss rectification). Indirect will not hurt but it does raise the noise floor per Dennis.
Thank you for mentioning this. I did not realize this was Dennis' recommendation. Although I've never tried any rectifier that wasn't a direct heated design in that amp.
Old 08-19-2018, 08:36 PM

Having fun this weekend running my Inspire with GE "Fat Boy" 6CA7s from the 1960s, my trusty Westinghouse 6SN7gtb (I have four of these, I don't use anything else in my 6SN7 socket) and a nice 1950s RCA black plate 5U4G rectifier. These are very similar in specs to a 274B. Nice smooth sound. The resolution isn't up to KT88/KT120/KT150 standards but is still good. Listening to a wide variety of music from Bob Dylan to John Fogerty to Diana Krall to Yes.

Not sure how much power this config produces. Maybe 12-13 wpc? It has been enough for my needs. In my old, larger room, I used to wish I had at least 40-60 wpc. Now I'm finding that I'm getting by fine at around 15.

My amp drives tubes hard, right up to their maximums, when used with a GZ34/5AR4. Using the 5U4G backs down the current a bit.
Old 08-20-2018, 05:04 PM

Conducted an output tube "shoot out" today. In my high output Inspire SE amp which runs tubes hard and in single-ended pentode, producing 17 wpc with KT88 and GZ34.

Used my old trusty Conrad-Johnson PV10A preamp, a high gain preamp. Genalex GZ34 rectifier and Westinghouse 6SN7gtb used with each tube set.

Tubes compared were vintage GE 6CA7 vs new Russian Genalex KT88, Tung sol KT120, Tung sol KT150.

6CA7 sound had less deep bass definition and mildly rolled off highs. A fuzzier, smoother overall presentation.

KT120 had good definition and strong bass. Highs just a bit less prominent. Background percussives weren't quite as distinct. Midrange and vocals were smooth. A bit of that classic tube sound with more power and deep bass.

KT88 and KT150 were very similar. I'd say the KT150 had a touch more deep bass power and maybe a tiny bit more high frequency air. While the KT88's midrange was a smidgen silkier. Close enough that I think I'd have a hard time telling the difference in a double blind comparison. Bass definition on acoustic bass guitar was very good though both, I could hear the strings vibrating on low notes. Piano was excellent on both, where the KT120 had a tiny bit less bite on high notes.

Have no idea how these would compare running in triode mode.

My amp looks so much better with KT88 or KT120 than with those strange KT150 tubes.