AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Wyred 4 Sound

Wyred 4 Sound Rediscover Your Music

Old 06-17-2016, 12:51 PM

Thanks for the replies, W4S and Randy. While I am curious to hear what the Recovery can do, I am reluctant to add a powered device and the resulting potential for noise/distortion to the digital data stream (one of the things I like about the AQ JitterBug is that it is passive). If I can find a W4S dealer that offers an in-home trial, I would be inclined to try the Recovery. Thanks again.
Old 06-17-2016, 01:10 PM
Merry Christmas to all

GreenMtnGringo.......If I am not mistaken, Wyred 4 Sound offers a 30 day money back guarantee.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 06-17-2016, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
GreenMtnGringo.......If I am not mistaken, Wyred 4 Sound offers a 30 day money back guarantee.
Thanks Dan, yes it does, albeit with a 15% restocking fee:

"We do offer a 30-day money-back guarantee on most Wyred 4 Sound products. We would hope that when you make a buying decision, it is a buy-to-keep, not buy-to-try decision. Due to our low prices and inability to handle returns, we have to attach a 15% restocking fee for those who decide they’re completely dissatisfied with our products. If you choose to return the original product on an exchange basis (without paying a restocking fee) the return policy is not valid on the exchanged unit...."

https://wyred4sound.com/terms-and-conditions

I noticed that W4S dealer Hi-Fi Heaven sells the Recovery on Amazon, apparently with the standard Amazon return policy (which does not appear to impose a restocking fee).
Old 06-17-2016, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djwhog View Post
Since I posted a few of the other tweaks here all in an effort to maximize the performance gains on the Wyred 4 Sound Recovery I attached a few pictures of your USB port Hubs and Device Manager.

This will very on each machine depending on USB 2.0, 3.0 and or how many port hub channels your system board contains.

The point is to go into Device Manager and expand the USB section and disable all Power Management tabs on each USB Hub. Note that some are labeled as a hub but are not, it is the hub that will have the power management tab to uncheck.

You DO NOT want your USB ports powering down.
Done! Thanks for the suggestion. All mine were checked to allow powering down with computer.
Supporting System: McIntosh MX122 A/V Center; MC205 Amplifier; Bryston 14bSST2 Amplifier; PS Audio P10 Power Reconditioner; Revel Salon 2 Mains; Revel Voice 2 CC; JL Audio f113v2 (2); JL Audio CR-1 Crossover; Focal IC1002 Surrounds
Old 06-17-2016, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMtnGringo View Post
Thanks for the replies, W4S and Randy. While I am curious to hear what the Recovery can do, I am reluctant to add a powered device and the resulting potential for noise/distortion to the digital data stream (one of the things I like about the AQ JitterBug is that it is passive). If I can find a W4S dealer that offers an in-home trial, I would be inclined to try the Recovery. Thanks again.
As Dan said it's "free" to test with their money-back guarantee. I have one inline between my Silenzio by -E- and my Bryston BDA-3, powered by an "el cheapo" LPS. Quiet as quiet could be. AQ jitterbug did nothing like this or the Uptone Regen.
Supporting System: McIntosh MX122 A/V Center; MC205 Amplifier; Bryston 14bSST2 Amplifier; PS Audio P10 Power Reconditioner; Revel Salon 2 Mains; Revel Voice 2 CC; JL Audio f113v2 (2); JL Audio CR-1 Crossover; Focal IC1002 Surrounds
Old 06-17-2016, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Thanks Dan, yes it does, albeit with a 15% restocking fee:

"We do offer a 30-day money-back guarantee on most Wyred 4 Sound products. We would hope that when you make a buying decision, it is a buy-to-keep, not buy-to-try decision. Due to our low prices and inability to handle returns, we have to attach a 15% restocking fee for those who decide they’re completely dissatisfied with our products. If you choose to return the original product on an exchange basis (without paying a restocking fee) the return policy is not valid on the exchanged unit...."

https://wyred4sound.com/terms-and-conditions

I noticed that W4S dealer Hi-Fi Heaven sells the Recovery on Amazon, apparently with the standard Amazon return policy (which does not appear to impose a restocking fee).
From Amazon, those types or returns usually require Manufacturer's approval and fine print included 15% restocking fee.

McIntosh C2300 Pre, MC452 Amp - Esoteric K-01X - JL e112 Subwoofer - Martin Logan Motion 60XT Speakers - SONOS Connect - W4S Remedy - IFI iPower9

Last edited by ajdo; 06-17-2016 at 02:07 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 06-17-2016, 02:19 PM

I have never heard of anyone who was not pleased with what the Recovery has done to their USB music. I even ripped all of my Redbook CD's and play them from my music server which allows them to gain the improvements from the Recovery!!!

I later added the iFi iPower adapter which is an even better power supply than the solid one that W4S includes. So you can improve it even more if you later want to.
Old 06-17-2016, 02:40 PM

I am sensing overwhelming enthusiasm for the W4S Recovery and that causes me to want to hear what it can do. I am just a little bewildered by the number of well-reviewed USB add-ons that have come out recently and the pace at which they are coming out. First, it was the JitterBug; then it was the Regen and the Wyrd; next, it was the Recovery and the Intona; and the current hot item appears to be the Sonore microRendu (sorry if I have forgotten any!). An outsider looking at all this might assume that USB audio on its own is bad and needs fixing. The funny thing is, I think it sounds pretty darn good as it is!
Old 06-17-2016, 04:39 PM
Racing Hoopties

Quote:
I am sensing overwhelming enthusiasm for the W4S Recovery and that causes me to want to hear what it can do. I am just a little bewildered by the number of well-reviewed USB add-ons that have come out recently and the pace at which they are coming out. First, it was the JitterBug; then it was the Regen and the Wyrd; next, it was the Recovery and the Intona; and the current hot item appears to be the Sonore microRendu (sorry if I have forgotten any!). An outsider looking at all this might assume that USB audio on its own is bad and needs fixing. The funny thing is, I think it sounds pretty darn good as it is!
I am not one to jump into the bandwagon but will tell you the Recovery and and iFI power unit specifically brought clarity to cymbals in my system. Give it a try and see for yourself. None of us make any money from this.
Main Equipment: Kharma Elegance dB11-S, JL Audio F113v2 X 2, Block Audio Line & Mono SE Amplification, Bricasti M21 DAC, Antipodes Kala K-50 Server, Clearaudio Performance SE. Satisfy tonearm & Maestro Wood MM cartridge.
Power: Shunyata Everest 8000, Sigma XC v2, Sigma NR v2, Block Audio PCs, Defender, ADDPowr Wizard
Grounding: Shunyata Altaira CGS - 4 X Alpha CGS cables,
Network : Supra Cat 8+, Twin (Nenon) Modified Buffalo GS2016 Switches, Keces P3 LPSU,
Cables: Wireworld Platinum 8 USB, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 Speaker cables, 6M & 1M Tubulus Concentus ICs,
Other:Two PSI Audio AVAA C20, Multiple GIK products, Stillpoint Apertures, Stillpoint Minis and Ultra SS, Three 20 Amp lines, Furutech GTX - Gold outlets, Adona Rack
Old 08-06-2016, 08:50 PM

Default I don't hear much difference - why?

Hello - I just registered although I have been quietly reading various threads here.

I hope that someone is still monitoring this thread.

I have a W4S DAC-2 DSDse with Femto clock and an iFi nano DSD.

I recently purchased the W4S Recovery based on various comments here and on other sites. The RUR has about 100 hours on it.

When I first received it, I really could not tell much of a difference using headphones on my iFi nano DSD. So I played music through it until around 100 hours and again listened to it on the nano and again not much difference. I connected it to the W4S DAC-2 DSDse in my main stereo system and I noticed a subtle difference. However, nothing close the the extent that has been discussed in these threads.

I do not have extremely expensive USB cables. I am still using the original power supply and the short USB cable that came with the RUR. I tried using a 2 m Oyaide NEO d+ USB Class A cable and 1 m Straight Wire USB cable. The Straight Wire cable may have been marginally better.

So I'd like to know what I am missing? You'd think that you would not require expensive USB cables to hear the improvement. After all, the RUR is supposed to clean things up. Obviously, I am missing something.

Could there be something wrong with my RUR? Maybe 100 hours isn't enough?

I cannot seem to edit my profile so I cannot enter my equipment so here it is when using the RUR:

Windows Laptop using foobar2000 ASIO -> RUR -> W4S DSDse -> ARC LS25 -> 2 ARC VT100 MkII -> Martin Logan SL3s

Thanks,
Walter

Last edited by birdland; 08-07-2016 at 11:14 PM. Reason: Grammar!