AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Headphones, Personal Listening Gear

Headphones, Personal Listening Gear Personal Listening at its Best

Old 11-07-2019, 07:24 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Default Campfire Audio Comets on the way

Based on a lot of very positive reviews I've read, I've ordered a pair of Campfire Audio Comet in-ear monitors today. I've been looking for something just a bit more upmarket from my daily drivers, my Etymotic hf3 IEMs for use with my Astell & Kern AK 100 II DAP and my iPhone for podcasts. While I have a pair of Shure SE535s and Westone W40s, I always keep coming back to the Etys for their overall very neutral balance as well as wearing comfort.

The Comet is Campfire Audio's entry-level IEM and sells for $199. Designed by Campfire Audio founder Ken Ball, the Comet has a neutral with a hint of warmth signature and is intended for general listening and has a nice copper litz cable with in-line microphone. Its uses a balanced armature along with Campfire's proprietary Tuned Acoustic Expansion Chamber for some sparkle on the top.

The nice thing about the Comet is they are small, light, narrow, and fit straight into the ear canal like the Etymotics. I generally prefer this type of monitor, rather than the Shure, Westone and others IEMs that fit into the larger outer opening of the ear (the concha) and require an over-ear loop to stay in place.

Drop froged from solid stainless and hand-polished, they also feature the MMCX attachment, so replacing or upgrading cables is (literally) a snap.

Here are some pics (last two photos copyright John Darko 2018)

Here's a good review by John Darko:

https://youtu.be/DviaDw6-cSg
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 11-09-2019, 01:47 AM

Interesting design, I’m looking forward to hearing what you think of them once you’ve had some time with them. I have Shure SE535s and Westone WS80 customs. They both sound great, but the way the Shure rests in the outside of the ear does get uncomfortable on a long flight.
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2
Old 11-09-2019, 09:00 AM

Default Campfire Audio Comets on the way

Looking forward to how well these perform on the “passive isolation” front.
The Comets are also on my shortlist, possibly for use with a Bluetooth cable. I’m curious if the Comets would outperform the Sony WF1000 and Airpods Pro for music.
The Andromeda gets a lot of praise, but 5x the price and probably overkill for use with a Bluetooth cable...

...but then CIEM’s are also still on the table as these would provide the best isolation...seems there is a local Belgian manufacturer “Variphone” not far from where I live.
Old 11-09-2019, 03:25 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonmb View Post
Interesting design, I’m looking forward to hearing what you think of them once you’ve had some time with them. I have Shure SE535s and Westone WS80 customs. They both sound great, but the way the Shure rests in the outside of the ear does get uncomfortable on a long flight.
Hi Tony,
I fully agree with your impressions of the SE535s: they are my best-sounding and performing IEMs and have, on the whole a nicely balanced and quite neutral presentation, but I agree, they are kinda bulky and can become uncomfortable for extended wearing, and by that I mean for more than 60-90s minutes. I've had them for at least five years, but I hardly ever listen to them.

Regarding the Westone W40s: I bought these based on some good reviews I've read, but I've always been a bit disappointed in them. I find them to be a bit dark and wooly-sounding, definitely not as good as the Shures, but more comfortable.

Bottom-line: I've just kept coming back, over and over again, for years now, to my Etymotics: either hf3s with its in-line iPhone mic, or the hf5s, which are identical drivers, but without the inline mic. While the Etys are bass-shy compared to the Shure and Westones, I find I don't mind as I just prefer the overall neutrality, comfort, wearing and listening experience of the Etys over the other two.

So...I'm pretty excited about the Campfire Audio Comets, I've read they're very good for $200, and can compete with other IEMs under $1000. I also like their compact size and direct, straight-in-the-ear type of insertion.

They'll be arriving Wednesday, so I'll be posting my impressions with them.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 11-09-2019, 03:29 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jem666 View Post
Looking forward to how well these perform on the “passive isolation” front.
The Comets are also on my shortlist, possibly for use with a Bluetooth cable. I’m curious if the Comets would outperform the Sony WF1000 and Airpods Pro for music.
The Andromeda gets a lot of praise, but 5x the price and probably overkill for use with a Bluetooth cable...

...but then CIEM’s are also still on the table as these would provide the best isolation...seems there is a local Belgian manufacturer “Variphone” not far from where I live.
Yeah, not sure how they would work with a Bluetooth cable; I've experimented a bit with Bluetooth, but I've always found the sound quality for audio to be sub-par for music.

As for the Sony WF1000s and AirPods, word on the street is the Sony's are better; I've been watching a lot of reviews comparing these two, and the Sonys get better marks for listening to music. Steve Guttenberg listened to the Air Pods Pro and posted a review this week that they're pretty bad for music.

To be honest, I really prefer a wired cable; and using one would me to use the Balanced output jack of my Astell & Kern.

I'd love to get a pair of Andromedas, but I've got other prorities for discretionary spending right now, and I think the Comets will give me a good idea of what to expect from Campfire Audio.
Old 11-10-2019, 03:09 PM

I have Shure se535 Ltd, Westone W80 and Noble Kaiser Encore IEMs. I use them with A&K and Questyle DAPs. These are all excellent IEMs with sound quality ranging from really really good to simply exceptional. About a year ago I was looking for something less expensive to wear to the gym and similar things. I got the Comets. They are really good sounding IEMs. They don’t challenge the Nobles or Westones and I don’t think they are better than the Shures— but they are really very good and by far the best I’ve heard for the price. They are also extremely comfortable. The only downside is people coming up to me and asking why I have mini blow dryers in my ears! I do strongly recommend them.
Dynaudio Heritage Special. Uptone Audio EtherRegen Ethernet Switch. Akasa NUC 10i7 with Roon Rock. Bryston BDP-3 Digital Music Player (with 4 Tb Internal SSD and Synology DS920+ NAS)-->Holo Audio May Kitsune Edition DAC-->Shunyata Sigma USB—>Gryphon Diablo 120 Integreted Amp w Transpatent XL PC. Oppo BDP-105D and BDP-203. Power: Shunyata Hydra Sigma S12 PD. Additional Cabling: WW Silver Electra PC, WW Electra PC, Shunyata Venom 3 PC. Digital: WW Starlight Ethernet, WW Gold Starlight AES-EBU, WW Platinum Starlight USB. IC and Speaker: WW Eclipse 8.

Bedroom System
Ipad with MusicStreamer App-->Schiit Jotunheim DAC/Amp—>Audeze LCD-XC, Focal for Bentley Radiance HO, Massdrop E-MU Teak HP. AK SE 200 DAP.

Mobile Survival Kit
Astell & Kern SP1000M. Noble Kaiser Encore IEM with Double Helix Balanced cable, Westone W80 IEM w ALOaudio Ref 8 cable, Westone W60 IEM, Shure se535 Ltd with Westone Bluetooth Wireless cable-amp. Mark Levinson No. 5909 Wireless HP.
Old 11-10-2019, 03:57 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by robfine View Post
I have Shure se535 Ltd, Westone W80 and Noble Kaiser Encore IEMs. I use them with A&K and Questyle DAPs. These are all excellent IEMs with sound quality ranging from really really good to simply exceptional. About a year ago I was looking for something less expensive to wear to the gym and similar things. I got the Comets. They are really good sounding IEMs. They don’t challenge the Nobles or Westones and I don’t think they are better than the Shures— but they are really very good and by far the best I’ve heard for the price. They are also extremely comfortable. The only downside is people coming up to me and asking why I have mini blow dryers in my ears! I do strongly recommend them.
Hi Rob,
Thank you for sharing your experiences; looking forward to getting the Comets.

If they are better than Etys, I'll be very happy.

Cheers.
Old 11-10-2019, 07:31 PM

They are better than my Etys, but my Etys are at least 15 years old.
Dynaudio Heritage Special. Uptone Audio EtherRegen Ethernet Switch. Akasa NUC 10i7 with Roon Rock. Bryston BDP-3 Digital Music Player (with 4 Tb Internal SSD and Synology DS920+ NAS)-->Holo Audio May Kitsune Edition DAC-->Shunyata Sigma USB—>Gryphon Diablo 120 Integreted Amp w Transpatent XL PC. Oppo BDP-105D and BDP-203. Power: Shunyata Hydra Sigma S12 PD. Additional Cabling: WW Silver Electra PC, WW Electra PC, Shunyata Venom 3 PC. Digital: WW Starlight Ethernet, WW Gold Starlight AES-EBU, WW Platinum Starlight USB. IC and Speaker: WW Eclipse 8.

Bedroom System
Ipad with MusicStreamer App-->Schiit Jotunheim DAC/Amp—>Audeze LCD-XC, Focal for Bentley Radiance HO, Massdrop E-MU Teak HP. AK SE 200 DAP.

Mobile Survival Kit
Astell & Kern SP1000M. Noble Kaiser Encore IEM with Double Helix Balanced cable, Westone W80 IEM w ALOaudio Ref 8 cable, Westone W60 IEM, Shure se535 Ltd with Westone Bluetooth Wireless cable-amp. Mark Levinson No. 5909 Wireless HP.
Old 11-13-2019, 09:00 AM

An itsy-bitsy revirew update: Yesterday,inspired by this thread, I brought my Comets to work. I usually take my Shure’s bc when I walk to lunch or just take a walk outside the building where my office is in to get up and stretch a it I listen to them with my AK. Before yesterday, I had pretty much always listened to the Comets sitting down. I discovered that the cable is pretty microphonic-sensitive. There is a partial solution that involves a small trade-off. The Comets are more comfortable, very comfortable with the cables going straight down. That is where the microphonics are worst. If you where them with cables over your ears the microphonics are noticeably better, although the wear is a little less comfortable but not uncomfortable. Consider Campfire is from ALO, the microphonic problem surprised me.

Bedroom System

Mobile Survival Kit
Old 11-13-2019, 09:38 AM

An itsy-bitsy revirew update: Yesterday,inspired by this thread, I brought my Comets to work. I usually take my Shure’s bc when I walk to lunch or just take a walk outside the building where my office is in to get up and stretch a it I listen to them with my AK. Before yesterday, I had pretty much always listened to the Comets sitting down. I discovered that the cable is pretty microphonic-sensitive. There is a partial solution that involves a small trade-off. The Comets are more comfortable, very comfortable with the cables going straight down. That is where the microphonics are worst. If you where them with cables over your ears the microphonics are noticeably better, although the wear is a little less comfortable but not uncomfortable. Consider Campfire is from ALO, the microphonic problem surprised me.

Bedroom System

Mobile Survival Kit