AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > AudioAficionado News > Technical Info & Troubleshooting

Technical Info & Troubleshooting Learn from the Pro's

Old 08-13-2014, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aercool View Post
...Better yet, an iPad app that I can plug direct from the iPad and send a high bitrate digital signal to the DAC and bypass the wireless. That would be ideal...
The camera connection kit works with new iPads with lightning connector, also there are convenient docks from companies like Pure And Cambridge Audio that will work with the ipad. However I think the ipad is limited to 48k digital output. Here's an article from Audiostream on the use of docks. http://www.innerfidelity.com/content...l-audio-source
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2
Old 08-13-2014, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Do any of you have some sort of WiFi/Bluetooth streaming device where I could shoot some 24/96 files from my computer to my (newly acquired) Wadia 121 DAC?

I tried the NAD DAC2, but the range wasn't good enough and the signal was all broken and intermittent. Would love to stream something wirelessly and then feed a digital signal into my Wadia for D to A conversion. Thoughts?
You need to be able to send 24bit with wifi...That's the problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by -E- View Post
Bluetooth really doesn't have that sort of bandwidth.

You should be able to do it with an adequate 2.4/5ghz wifi setup, though.
I tried that with Apples Time Capsule which is a 2.4 & 5 ghz wifi and hard drive. I had the TC plugged into the McIntosh D100 and an Airport Express plugged into my computer it didn't work. I then bought a second TC to send the signal between them that didn't work. I then tried my Apple TV and that didn't work and was all just broken up.
My Files
CD rips to the computer
Downloads that come with records
Vinyl rips 24bit WAV

Quote:
Those do look snazzy, but they also have more than I need since I already have a WiFi system that's very reliable, and a Wadia DAC that I would end up using for the conversion to analog.

Has anyone used those Sonos systems for this type of thing?

Better yet, an iPad app that I can plug direct from the iPad and send a high bitrate digital signal to the DAC and bypass the wireless. That would be ideal...
I would like to know what this Sonos thing is it might be another option for me but that's not enough info.

iPad app? No! you still need to send the signal. I was using a USB to hook mine up though the charge port to bypass the internal DAC, that sounded awesome but you can not charge. I ended up buying a second 27" iMac and running a USB to the D100 DAC, this is great but a quality USB cable limits the pacement of the iMac.

When looking for a DAC a friend of mine suggested I get the Audioengine D2 and I ended up buying the D100.

I spent a bunch of time and money on Apple devices to send 24bit over wifi.

I bought another dedicated iMac for my main stereo so anything on the net and in my files can play though my D100 & main system.

After all this time and money spent I still want/need to send 24bit over wifi to my high dollar DAC.

Had I listened to my friend and bought the D2 in the first place it would have probably been just fine for all my digital needs. I have heard that it's a good sounding DAC and it does what it's suppose to with wifi.

Most all computer devices have a DAC built into them and we can bypass them, so if you think the D2 is too much because it's a wifi and DAC I can't help you. I personally don't know of anything else to recommend that will effortlessly send 24bit on wifi.
Old 08-13-2014, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonmb View Post
The camera connection kit works with new iPads with lightning connector, also there are convenient docks from companies like Pure And Cambridge Audio that will work with the ipad. However I think the ipad is limited to 48k digital output. Here's an article from Audiostream on the use of docks. Audiophile Play with an iPad as a Digital Audio Source | InnerFidelity
That led me to this dock
Cambridge Audio - iD100 - Digital - iPod / iPad Dock
Which is nice because it charges and you can bypass the DAC inside it. But it's not wifi however it would be good to have to play something off your or friends mobile devices.

The trick is learning all this smart stuff and sinking everything. Computers, moblie devices, smart TV and stereo. A phone should be able to controll everything as a remote. But the hassel of going in and turnning everything on so the chain works get's complicated. And then you have to do this every time you power up or switch function to just TV or something else.

Last edited by 427; 08-13-2014 at 11:07 AM.
Old 08-13-2014, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427 View Post
That led me to this dock Cambridge Audio - iD100 - Digital - iPod / iPad Dock Which is nice because it charges and you can bypass the DAC inside it. But it's not wifi however it would be good to have to play something off your or friends mobile devices.
The ipad can connect via wifi to itunes on your pc and stream from your pc, using the built-in music app. You can also run Logitech Media Server on your pc and stream via the ipad using an app like iPeng or Squeezepad. I believe you can also do this with jRiver and it's remote app. I'm just not sure what the bitrate limitation is when outputting through the dock.
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2
Old 08-13-2014, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonmb View Post
The ipad can connect via wifi to itunes on your pc and stream from your pc, using the built-in music app. You can also run Logitech Media Server on your pc and stream via the ipad using an app like iPeng or Squeezepad. I believe you can also do this with jRiver and it's remote app. I'm just not sure what the bitrate limitation is when outputting through the dock.
16 bit and that's the problem high bit rate DACs but most wifi can't get it there. Output from the dock is whatever is in the device and that's fine with a hard line but not wifi.

Last edited by 427; 08-13-2014 at 01:44 PM.