AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Cables Galore

Cables Galore Speaker cables, Interconnects & Power cords

Old 11-01-2011, 02:01 AM
Living La Vida Vinyl

Default Fremer at Shunyata - measuring cords & conditioners

Michael Fremer records his interview with Caelin Gabriel on measuring differences in power cords and conditioners using a Shunyata analyzer that is planned for general availability. A somewhat long but fascinating read (to me anyway) - this seems to be a clear step toward demonstrating how devices (amps, etc.) are impacted by differences in power cord construction, and possibly how those differences play out audibly. It might be worth consideration if you are skeptical about the effect of cords and conditioners.
Old 11-01-2011, 06:34 AM

Thanks for posting this article. As an user of Shunyata products, it is good to see their facilities. Also, interesting conversation on the measurement of cables and conditioners.

Mike
Old 11-01-2011, 08:31 AM

If he can get an independent lab to verify his DTCD Analyzer and corresponding improvement in audible sound quality, he might have a hot product on his hands.
Old 11-02-2011, 09:59 AM

Thank you for posting that interview.
It's refreshing to read an article about an audiophile product that doesnt resort to technical leaps of faith or subjective platitudes.
When his analyzer hits the street, it's gonna be good news for legitimate cable manufacturers, and bad news for snake oil sales. In the end, it will benefit the guy that just wants better sound and can't afford to experiment endlessly with slickly packaged products and flowery superlatives from misinformed, technically ignorant salesmen.
Old 11-03-2011, 08:33 AM

I don't require a machine to confirm what my ears tell me.

Damn though, something MF did that was actually worth reading. I may have to alter my prejudices.

Jim
Old 11-03-2011, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still-One View Post
I don't require a machine to confirm what my ears tell me.

Damn though, something MF did that was actually worth reading. I may have to alter my prejudices.

Jim
Jim...he even heaped praise on a digital product (Simaudio 650D) in the latest Stereophile He can't be all that bad
Old 12-28-2011, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tima View Post
Michael Fremer records his interview with Caelin Gabriel on measuring differences in power cords and conditioners using a Shunyata analyzer that is planned for general availability. A somewhat long but fascinating read (to me anyway) - this seems to be a clear step toward demonstrating how devices (amps, etc.) are impacted by differences in power cord construction, and possibly how those differences play out audibly. It might be worth consideration if you are skeptical about the effect of cords and conditioners.
I am a complete novice with power cables so this has been an invaluable bit of reading as I've been looking at fixing up the power end of things... up till now I have been wondering what approach to take and what to expect.

Coincidentally have been checking out a Shunyata pc as it is one of the few cable companies dealing in factory terminations to fit Aussie power points.

Getting a good pc in Australia seems a bit of a nightmare unless your happy to reterminate and potentially butcher an expensive bit of wire which I ain't so keen.

I have had really great results with Wireworld products but can't go there for a pc without taking a knife to it .

So I have been looking into a bit of an injection of Shunyata pcs into my system.

The data in this interview shone a whole lot of light on what I was hearing.

Just in short (and happy for more feedback from others who have looked into it deeper) but think that in laman terms some cables might excel at rise time in response to current... these are the cables that don't tend to dampen the dynamics... then there are those cables/conditioners that prioritise minimising ringing and other artefacts which result in increased transparency and quieter backgrounds but sometimes may surpress dynamics to some degree - and while these are not mutually exclusive qualities it seems ultimately will tend to be a bit of a trade off... a bit like choosing a velvety GT ride or a quick more raw racer tuning... my preference is that I like a room with a slightly live acoustic and would probably prioritise vitality and dynamics marginally ahead of sheer beauty... though would go for the whole box and dice if possible.

I am guessing that over filtering might be akin to over treating a room with acoustic baffles - this is obviously a clear simplification of the whole deal but it helps me determining what I am chasing just a bit better... I like alchemy but a bit of quantification is also useful... tho ultimately for me the proof is always in the listening.

Given my current set-up I'm thinking I'll try and maximise the dynamics and go for speed rather than comfort... I have tried an entry level powersnake and am now looking at trying further up the line since the improvements have been so great/tangible. The cable I tried was a base model Taipan VX (not a current model) which is clearly dynamic and quick with an upfront presentation but maybe has some etching on the leading edge of the transients, a bit of softness round the middle and plenty of bass that could still be better defined. But on the whole beneficial to my system because it really is such a vital engaging presentation. Not the cable I will buy but enough to show me how good Shunyata are and how it compliments what I am running atm.

Apparently Shunyata are releasing some new PC's at the CES... the current cx range were apparently a big step up... seems Shunyata are on a roll and am looking to what things new come this way in January from Mr Gabriel.

Last edited by audiot servant; 12-28-2011 at 06:20 AM.
Old 01-19-2012, 06:34 PM

Those new PC's could be something special. Their ZI-TRON technology is coming to the powercable range; Cobra, Python and Anaconda ZI-TRON.
Old 01-19-2012, 08:26 PM

Audio servant....Furutech make a range of AU plugs. The Furutech Flux plug (used on Nordost Odin) had now been adapted with an AU configuration.

I use Shunyata Hydra products which have US outlets so there is no dilemma with source IEC runs. The AU plug is only used to power the Shunyata. A much cleaner setup.

If you need dealer contacts, please PM.
Old 01-20-2012, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyPal View Post
Audio servant....Furutech make a range of AU plugs. The Furutech Flux plug (used on Nordost Odin) had now been adapted with an AU configuration.

I use Shunyata Hydra products which have US outlets so there is no dilemma with source IEC runs. The AU plug is only used to power the Shunyata. A much cleaner setup.

If you need dealer contacts, please PM.
Thanks for the heads up on the AU plugs Mypal... just put my hand up for one of the new Shunyata Zi-Tron Cobra power cables. ... (coincidentally the dealer who does Shunyata here also carries his own cables with the Furutech AU plugs)

When stock of the new Shunyata PC's arrive and I can audition a mix of them in my system I will decide whether to make it a couple of Cobras or step up to a Zi-Tron Python to go with the Cobra.

Crion - Apparently (hope I've got this right) the Zi-Tron Cobra PC will handily outperform a current CX Python and the new Zi-Tron Python is a fair step above the current CX Anaconda in performance... will be able to listen to the new cables before I finalise any other cables.

May look at a Shunyata Cyclops conditioner down the track...

Still might be a bit of a wait apparently till the new cables comes through... maybe I should take up some stress relief

Last edited by audiot servant; 01-20-2012 at 06:13 AM.