PMC Speakers UK's Finest

Old 05-01-2009, 11:25 PM
Against the Tide

Default PMC EB1i review

EB1i review link-

PMC EB1i Transmission Line Loudspeaker | AV Guide
Old 05-01-2009, 11:39 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Thanks for the link. The review was agood read.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 05-01-2009, 11:39 PM

Anyone know what wood those speakers are in?

That is the first pair of PMC's that I actualy thought were beautiful!
Old 05-01-2009, 11:49 PM
Against the Tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by two dot View Post
Anyone know what wood those speakers are in?

That is the first pair of PMC's that I actualy thought were beautiful!
Looks like Walnut.
Old 05-02-2009, 12:33 AM

Out of curiosity, how many PMC fans have listened to ProAc speakers? If you did, what did you think was the biggest difference?
Old 05-02-2009, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
Out of curiosity, how many PMC fans have listened to ProAc speakers? If you did, what did you think was the biggest difference?
Serge,

Main difference is :
1/ Bass extension
2/ Dynamics ! :

I would add this : when you listen to PMC speakers, you fell like listening to ProAc speakers, but driven active. Imagine what active PMC speakers could sound like !

Last edited by Jerome W; 05-02-2009 at 01:35 AM.
Old 05-02-2009, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
Thanks for the link. The review was agood read.
Dan
That was the review in Hi Fi Plus I was referring to. The magazine was purchased by The Absolute Sound about 18 months ago and it looks like they are going to put some of there reviews on the AV Guide site. That is good because to me that is the finest Hi Fi mag in the English language. They just changed Editors in the current issue from Roy Gregory, I hope they have not messed things up. He will still be doing reviews for them.
Old 05-02-2009, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C220MC275 View Post
Serge,

Main difference is :
1/ Bass extension
2/ Dynamics ! :

I would add this : when you listen to PMC speakers, you fell like listening to ProAc speakers, but driven active. Imagine what active PMC speakers could sound like !
The comment of the forwardness of the midrange of PMC was what had me thinking about ProAc and other British speakers that usually do not exhibit those traits and would be a departure from the typical British speaker.

"Installing the EB1i in place of the more expensive B&W 802D brought about a fairly big change in balance. Essentially the midrange seemed more prominent, a factor that had a dramatic effect on albums like Gillian Welch’s Time The Revelator. This recording has often hinted at a slight edginess but in the PMC’s hands became almost uncomfortable due to that exposure through the midband. Conversely material that had seemed a little dense or thick in the past opens up to reveal a wealth of detail and space, Fink’s Biscuits For Breakfast being a prime example. The title track was transformed into a far more revealing piece and his take on ‘All Cried Out’ seems far more cutting and powerful."
Old 05-02-2009, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
The comment of the forwardness of the midrange of PMC was what had me thinking about ProAc and other British speakers that usually do not exhibit those traits and would be a departure from the typical British speaker.

"Installing the EB1i in place of the more expensive B&W 802D brought about a fairly big change in balance. Essentially the midrange seemed more prominent, a factor that had a dramatic effect on albums like Gillian Welch’s Time The Revelator. This recording has often hinted at a slight edginess but in the PMC’s hands became almost uncomfortable due to that exposure through the midband. Conversely material that had seemed a little dense or thick in the past opens up to reveal a wealth of detail and space, Fink’s Biscuits For Breakfast being a prime example. The title track was transformed into a far more revealing piece and his take on ‘All Cried Out’ seems far more cutting and powerful."
Serge,
I did not notice any midrange forwardness with the EB1i. I would be interested to hear Dan's opinion on that.
I think this review is more concerning the electronics used.
With Mc amps, there is an absolute synergy.
I remember I listened to the SF Guarneri ( which you owned I think ) with Krell electronics. They were sounding harsh and abolutely not musical, which I know it's not the case.
I have the same ears as Alberto. So if Alberto loves them, I should love them too. But in my opinion, they are not made for Krell.
Did you give PMC speakers a listen ?
Wilsons are great anyway...
Old 05-02-2009, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C220MC275 View Post
Serge,
I did not notice any midrange forwardness with the EB1i. I would be interested to hear Dan's opinion on that.
I think this review is more concerning the electronics used.
With Mc amps, there is an absolute synergy.
I remember I listened to the SF Guarneri ( which you owned I think ) with Krell electronics. They were sounding harsh and abolutely not musical, which I know it's not the case.
I have the same ears as Alberto. So if Alberto loves them, I should love them too. But in my opinion, they are not made for Krell.
Did you give PMC speakers a listen ?
Wilsons are great anyway...
No I have not, otherwise I wouldn't be asking these questions. I read the review out of curiosity and was thinking back on auditioning and having lived with some of the likes of Harbeth, ProAc, Wharfedale, Epos and Spendor...