AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Headphones, Personal Listening Gear

Headphones, Personal Listening Gear Personal Listening at its Best

Old 01-13-2015, 01:04 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glisse View Post
Those Westones look good. I think these are their top model are they not? Which means you will want a pretty decent player to get the most out of them.

I own both the AK120II and the Pono, but not the Sony.

The A&K is beautifully built, but it is a chunky device. About half as heavy again as the Pono. And 3 times the weight of the Sony A17 that Radio Time refers to.

I've just read Puma Cat's excellent review of his AK100II, and whilst I agreed with much that he wrote, my view of the AK vs Pono is differs. I think it depends on the match with the 'phones. I was surprised at the sound quality of the Pono, although in every other aspect I think it is a pretty ordinary device.

For maximum portability, that Sony looks hard to beat. No idea what it sounds like though, and how it will drive the Westones, although most IEMs are not difficult to drive.

And Sony have long irritated me with their attempts to build closed systems and screw the consumer as a result. They have, deservedly, paid the price for doing so. I also find it completely bizarre that Sony's high resolution players cannot handle DSD files. What a weird company they are.
Glisse,
Don't disagree with anything you've said. Unfortunately, I did not have a chance to audition Pono with different headphones, basically a pair of Senn HD 650s. Compared to the A&K, it sounded like a well-recorded 16/44 file compared to a well-recorded 24/192 music file.

Also, while this may sound strange for some, we all have specific requirements to our particular needs. And for me, the Pono's shape just doesn't work. I really need a DAP to slip easily into a shirt pocket, a cycling jersey back pocket, the cubby in the car's console, or my laptop case. And the Pono is just not conveniently shaped for any of those things. Also, it's build quality is simply not at the the level of the A&K.

The Sony is a non-starter because it doesn't support DSD, which seems completely non-sensical to me since they created a new business initiative to make DSD content available as high-res files for download. It's like one hand of the company doesn't talk to the other. They are indeed a strange company. You should see their "strategy" around building a mirrorless digital camera system; it's a complete mess.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 01-13-2015, 05:00 PM

Thanks guys for all your feedback and comments. At the moment I am leaning toward the Sony for a few reasons:
I'm ultimately looking for good easily carried sound in a noisy environment, not great sound in a quiet environment. It’s also an environment in which I'm not likely (with my old ears) to be able to really appreciate the difference between cd quality and hi res - I hate to admit it, but I have to work at it to hear the differences at home or on my dealer's reference system. I plan to mostly carry 16/44 or even some 320 and 384 files. Also I haven't caught the DSD bug yet, so that's not a factor for me. So all in all, while the AK would satisfy all my needs and looks like a beautiful device, it's probably overkill for me. Also over the years I've changed players every 2-3 years as the technology moves, so I'm not sure I want to sink a grand or more into a product that is more than I need and may be surpassed by newer technology providing more capacity within a couple of years.

As for the Pono, while it sounds good and isn't that pricey, I just can't get over the shape, which won't really fit my needs of being able to slip it in my shirt pocket or in a small slot in my briefcase.

Finally the Sony is relatively cheap, so if I buy it and it doesn't meet my expectations, I can always move on to the AK.
Thanks again.
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2
Old 01-13-2015, 06:51 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonmb View Post
Thanks guys for all your feedback and comments. At the moment I am leaning toward the Sony for a few reasons:
I'm ultimately looking for good easily carried sound in a noisy environment, not great sound in a quiet environment. It’s also an environment in which I'm not likely (with my old ears) to be able to really appreciate the difference between cd quality and hi res - I hate to admit it, but I have to work at it to hear the differences at home or on my dealer's reference system. I plan to mostly carry 16/44 or even some 320 and 384 files. Also I haven't caught the DSD bug yet, so that's not a factor for me. So all in all, while the AK would satisfy all my needs and looks like a beautiful device, it's probably overkill for me. Also over the years I've changed players every 2-3 years as the technology moves, so I'm not sure I want to sink a grand or more into a product that is more than I need and may be surpassed by newer technology providing more capacity within a couple of years.

As for the Pono, while it sounds good and isn't that pricey, I just can't get over the shape, which won't really fit my needs of being able to slip it in my shirt pocket or in a small slot in my briefcase.

Finally the Sony is relatively cheap, so if I buy it and it doesn't meet my expectations, I can always move on to the AK.
Thanks again.
I hear ya on that one...
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 01-13-2015, 09:02 PM

Does anyone know if there are any bluetooth moldable ear phones. I want something without a wire so I can fall asleep with them in.

C500, MX123, MC501 (2), MC207, MCD500,
Silenzio, Bryston BDA3, Shunyata Denali 6000/S,
Panasonic UB900, Canton Reference 3K,
Canton Reference 50K, Fresco, Descent
Old 01-14-2015, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylode View Post
Does anyone know if there are any bluetooth moldable ear phones. I want something without a wire so I can fall asleep with them in.
I'm not aware of any custom molded with bluetooth. Sony and Plantronics make universal fit models, but they have a separate battery pack attached to a holder that hangs around your neck, so I don't think that would work very well for sleeping.
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2
Old 01-14-2015, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonmb View Post
I'm not aware of any custom molded with bluetooth. Sony and Plantronics make universal fit models, but they have a separate battery pack attached to a holder that hangs around your neck, so I don't think that would work very well for sleeping.
Thanks I'll try one of the cheap Bluetooth one's and see how well they work then search then begin a search for a quality pair.

C500, MX123, MC501 (2), MC207, MCD500,
Silenzio, Bryston BDA3, Shunyata Denali 6000/S,
Panasonic UB900, Canton Reference 3K,
Canton Reference 50K, Fresco, Descent
Old 01-14-2015, 05:00 AM

I don't think you'l regret it. I use the matrix setting with all eq bars set to max- don't worry, you won't get distortion- have the clear bass two notches above the median, and use hi-rez on the settings, DSEE HX tames the sound stage a bit too much for me with 320, but may enhance HD. And you can bank on your new IEM's for any Dap upgrade in the future. It has the usual Sony setting variations if mine doesn't please.
Old 01-14-2015, 07:01 AM

Another DAP to look at is the Fiio X5. Just as good as the AK IMO and much cheaper.
Old 01-25-2015, 02:31 PM

I succumbed to Stephen's aka Pumacat review and ordered the AK100II. I finally realized I was fooling myself thinking I'd be happy for very long with the little Sony and I might as well go for something out of the gate with a quality level consistent with my new headphones.
Old 01-25-2015, 03:59 PM
Life is beautiful

Tony, congrats!
I think you made a wise choice. Enjoy!

Yes, Stephen is tempting us all with his irresistible review.
It's just not the right moment now for me...
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables