AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Shunyata Research

Shunyata Research Designing Silent Systems for recording, film and music

Old 12-05-2019, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterlu View Post
Tom... Ditch the stock jumpers for another big improvement.
I can see that would make a big difference as well!
Proac Response 1sc Rears,
Three MC2301's for L,C,R
MC 602 for the rears
C 1100, MX 151, MCD 1100, MR 80
Nottingham Dais with Wave Mechanic
Sumiko Palo Santos Presentation

SurfacePro 3, RPi 4, ROON, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

Lake House:
Ohm F, MC 275V, C2300, MR 77, Rega P3

OnDeck:
McIntosh MAC 4300v
Old 12-05-2019, 10:32 AM

https://www.audioholics.com/audio-vi...to-loudspeaker
Old 12-05-2019, 02:06 PM

Thanks for all the feedback. I think I’ll go for the bi-wire: the cost difference isn’t that great and the prevailing opinion seems to be that it can make a positive difference.
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2
Old 12-05-2019, 02:50 PM

I recommend speaking with your speaker manufacturer and weigh their opinion. Some speakers are designed to benefit from bi-wiring based on how the crossover is designed. Vandersteen 7's and the old Joachim Gerhardt designed Audio Physic Calderas come to mind as designed to benefit from bi or even tri-wiring. For many speakers however, bi-wiring makes no difference and the extra posts are there more as convenience/option.

Best regards,

Grant
Old 12-05-2019, 03:14 PM

Does Shunyata sell jumpers? I’ve never seen them advertised.
Old 12-05-2019, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantS View Post
I recommend speaking with your speaker manufacturer and weigh their opinion. Some speakers are designed to benefit from bi-wiring based on how the crossover is designed. Vandersteen 7's and the old Joachim Gerhardt designed Audio Physic Calderas come to mind as designed to benefit from bi or even tri-wiring. For many speakers however, bi-wiring makes no difference and the extra posts are there more as convenience/option.

Best regards,

Grant

Good advice, thanks Grant. I’ll have my dealer check with Sf just to be sure.
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2
Old 12-05-2019, 07:38 PM

Default Speaker cables single vs bi-wire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgens View Post
Does Shunyata sell jumpers? I’ve never seen them advertised.

When I purchased my Cobra Ztron speaker cables I also bought Cobra jumpers. My dealer handled it, I don’t recall if they were custom or not.
Old 12-05-2019, 08:08 PM

I believe they do they just don’t advertise them. I have a set of Anaconda jumpers I used when I bought my first pair of SC’s until I eventually bi-wired Anaconda Zithromax zsC’s years ago and never looked back.
Best bet is contact Grant or Richard at Shunyata about it.
Old 12-05-2019, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonmb View Post
I have an opportunity to upgrade my speaker cables (currently 5-year-old Ztron Cobras) before the end of the year to Alphas (Sigma are out of the budget unfortunately.) I can do either single or bi-wire to my Amati Futuras. I’ve never bi-wired before, anyone have any thoughts on what the improvement might be and whether it’s worth doing?
Tom I bi-wired my SF Amati Futuras with WW Silver 8's and then with Sigmas. Prefer the sound to this versus the native Jumpers. Just my 2 cents worth.
Old 12-06-2019, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonmb View Post
I have an opportunity to upgrade my speaker cables (currently 5-year-old Ztron Cobras) before the end of the year to Alphas (Sigma are out of the budget unfortunately.) I can do either single or bi-wire to my Amati Futuras. I’ve never bi-wired before, anyone have any thoughts on what the improvement might be and whether it’s worth doing?
I’ve written about this in an earlier thread here, but here in a nutshell here it is again:

The jumper strips which come with the Amati are not the greatest. Not just my opinion, but those Of others. I was told by my dealer that jumpers which ideally match the speaker cables which one is using is the best choice.

Check out the thread below which Bill Peugh, of Sumiko, former Sonus Faber's US distributor, stated, “The next Sonus that improves by bi wiring over simply replacing jumper plates with proper jumper wires will be the first. Not saying it can't happen, it just hasn't yet, Futuras included.” BTW, Bill Peugh used to be a senior executive with Sumiko Audio (now with Wilson) and is known as the Sonus Faber speaker whisperer for his skill in setting up SF speakers for SF dealers, so let's just say he knows his stuff.

As for my own experiments with bi wiring vs a good jumper cable, I did my own extensive listening for a month with identical runs of Shunyata Research Anaconda speaker cables bi wired vs. one pair of Anacondas with Shunyata’s then the top-of-the-line jumpers. Neither my wife or I could not hear any difference when comparing both configurations with a month of listening to my own system with my familiar recordings. When Shunyata came out with their new Sigma jumpers, I upgraded to them and could not believe how much better that they made my Amati’s sound. I also upgraded from the Shunyata Anaconda to a single run of Shunyata Sigma speaker cables which again made a significant improvement.

My own extensive listening confirmed to junk the stock jumpers and get good quality jumpers which ideally match one’s speaker cables.

BTW, here is the link to the what Bill (metaphacts) stated on on the Audioaficionado Sonus Faber thread. His is the last post on the page, but reading the entire thread is useful:

https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=13933