AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Shunyata Research

Shunyata Research Designing Silent Systems for recording, film and music

Old 12-03-2016, 08:44 AM

Default Shunyata Triton vs. Triton v2

Hello everyone!
Is still a good purchase to own an ex demo, like new condition Shunyata Triton v1?
I read that the v2 is far superior but this ex demo unit costs less than a half of the brand new v2 and with the difference i can buy a Sigma HC for the Triton v1and still save money for a Sigma Digital for my Esoteric G-02 Master Clock Generator.
The Triton v1 + Sigma HC powercord equals the Triton v2 performance?
Is the Triton v1 a highly reliable product? If i buy this ex demo unit can i use for many many years?
Thanks a lot
Pablo

Last edited by PASSFREAK; 12-03-2016 at 09:27 AM. Reason: Writing errors
Old 12-03-2016, 10:21 AM

Purchasing the TRITON v1 at a discount is a great value. The v1 can be factory upgraded to the v2. The reason that all HYDRAs come with a Lifetime Warranty is due to their exceptional reliability.
Old 12-03-2016, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGabriel View Post
Purchasing the TRITON v1 at a discount is a great value. The v1 can be factory upgraded to the v2. The reason that all HYDRAs come with a Lifetime Warranty is due to their exceptional reliability.
In the case that i don't want to upgrade to v2 is possible to achieve the same results adding Sigma's PC to the whole front end?
The Sigma's works like as a dedicated filter by itself so, adding Sigmas PC's to the excellent TRITON v1 you can listen the difference between v1 and v2?
The noise with the TRITON and Sigma's is reduced incredibly well as i read a lot of times so you have a moment that don't have no more noise to reduce.Sorry but my bad english, hope you understand me Mr Gabriel.
Thanks
Old 12-03-2016, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PASSFREAK View Post
In the case that i don't want to upgrade to v2 is possible to achieve the same results adding Sigma's PC to the whole front end?
The Sigma's works like as a dedicated filter by itself so, adding Sigmas PC's to the excellent TRITON v1 you can listen the difference between v1 and v2?
The noise with the TRITON and Sigma's is reduced incredibly well as i read a lot of times so you have a moment that don't have no more noise to reduce.Sorry but my bad english, hope you understand me Mr Gabriel.
Thanks
The Sigma power cord will improve performamce. But not because of its built-in filtering. The Sigma will not compensate for the difference between a v1 and v2 Triton.

The v2 is superior because of the copper buss bars and the new CopperCONN outlets. And the better CCI filters and the outlet vibration dampening isolators.
Old 12-03-2016, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGabriel View Post
The Sigma power cord will improve performamce. But not because of its built-in filtering. The Sigma will not compensate for the difference between a v1 and v2 Triton.

The v2 is superior because of the copper buss bars and the new CopperCONN outlets. And the better CCI filters and the outlet vibration dampening isolators.
Ok.Maybe will be better if i buy the v2 and forget the filter thing for a very long time.
Thanks a lot Mr. Gabriel, a pleasure to chat with you!
Pablo
Old 12-03-2016, 12:47 PM

Having demoed both the Triton V1 and V2, I purchased the V2 and am very happy with it's performance above the V1.
Sigma power cables and the Typhon are further, exceptional upgrades down the line.

south: Mark Levinson No. 52 pre, Bricasti M28 amps, Lumin A1, Oppo BDP-205, Pioneer CT-43, Sony SS-AR1 Speakers, Audioquest Dragon PCs, Audioquest speaker cables, Audioquest interconnects, HB Power Design Powerslave Star Galaxy power distributor

north: Vitus SIA-030, Luxman D10X, Sony TC-KA3ES, Harbeth 40.2, Siltech cables
Old 12-03-2016, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnrmf1971 View Post
Having demoed both the Triton V1 and V2, I purchased the V2 and am very happy with it's performance above the V1.
Sigma power cables and the Typhon are further, exceptional upgrades down the line.
The difference between v1 and v2 is really big or subtle?I don't have the possibility to try both in my home and need to buy one based in reviews.
I am so tired of buy products that i read spectacular reviews and when put this in my system i want to kill myself because they are not that good
Old 12-03-2016, 08:28 PM

I agree with you about buying based on spectacular reviews.

I think the overall results one perceives from the Shunyata Triton, may vary based on the quality of electrical power that runs to your system

For me, in my system, Shunyata devices are products about subtlety, though. What I mean by that is that my Triton V2 doesn't "supercharge" my system, or make the bass explosive, or make the dynamic swings more powerful. I've had 2 PS Audio devices that sort of did things along those lines, and to an enjoyable benefit.

As my system has gotten better and I've zeroed in on areas of musical presentation that didn't seem natural to me, I've been better able to make decisions about products that better meet my goals for the sound of my system.

The Triton V1, in comparison to my PS Audio products, made my system sound like it had lost body and tonal saturation, as well as dynamics. I could hear a natural calming effect it had, but it seemed like one step forward and two steps back in my system. So I passed on the Triton V1. I had auditioned it with a Typhon, as well, and felt that the Typhon was almost necessary for the Triton V1 because of some tonal saturation it seemed to restore.

Enter the Trition V2 - I did not perceive a significant loss of tonal saturation and body with the V2 and the attributes of noise reduction and a more natural musical presentation were apparent after some extended listening over about a week. The first thing I was curious about was it's effect on body/saturation because of my perception with the V1. Once I established that I didn't hear lessening to any significant degree with the V2, I just listened and enjoyed the V2 for a few days. It's hard to describe, but music just sounded more natural, with a reduction in artificial brightness (at least as I heard it), in my system versus my PS Audio device. Comparisons between the PS Audio and Shunyata products revealed that the Triton V2 was removing a haze from the background that I didn't really know was there. Removing that noise made for a more beautiful rendition of music. Music was clearer, calmer, more extended on the top end, displayed natural tonal colors, and the soundstage became deeper in so much as I was able to hear lower level musical information that was previously flatter sounding or somewhat obscured. With the V2 music from my speakers became more naturally 3 dimensional, clear, and non-fatiguing.

Adding a Typhon to the V2 increased this. I subsequently added an additional Typhon to the circuit my amplifiers are on and that was the icing on the cake.

Auditioning the Triton V2 and Typhon sold me on the idea of "passive" power conditioning products and I understand how the PS Audio devices I've had may have been additive with regard to the sound.

It almost became a lesson in listening, for me, because I became aware of what the Shunyata Trition V2 wasn't doing, and what my PS Audio device was doing. Once my expectations were tempered, I could recognize the superiority of the Triton V2 in my system because I wasn't looking for a drastic change. In the end it was the subtle changes that made the Triton V2 work in my system and I couldn't be happier.

I have not heard the latest Shunyata Denali products, and some, but not all, are saying they are superior to the Triton V2. By themselves, they seem to be less expensive than a Triton V2 so maybe that is a better way to go for you. That said, I'm perfectly happy with my Triton V2 and not hunting for something new. When I get to audition the Denali line, I'll make up my mind, at that point. But I'm happy with things for now.

south: Mark Levinson No. 52 pre, Bricasti M28 amps, Lumin A1, Oppo BDP-205, Pioneer CT-43, Sony SS-AR1 Speakers, Audioquest Dragon PCs, Audioquest speaker cables, Audioquest interconnects, HB Power Design Powerslave Star Galaxy power distributor

north: Vitus SIA-030, Luxman D10X, Sony TC-KA3ES, Harbeth 40.2, Siltech cables
Old 12-03-2016, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PASSFREAK View Post
Hello everyone!
Is still a good purchase to own an ex demo, like new condition Shunyata Triton v1?
I read that the v2 is far superior
remember .......... 'far superior' is 80% 'audio fool' none sense ......you'll be fine !
Old 12-03-2016, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikado463 View Post
remember .......... 'far superior' is 80% 'audio fool' none sense ......you'll be fine !